Question for you guys

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
WillowRidgeCalls

Question for you guys

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 30th, 2013, 10:27 pm

I've been kicking around the idea of selling some Turpin box call kits? I know there is getting to be more guys wanting to learn call building, some have the tools to do it and some don't. These kits would offer them a chance to learn without having to go buy all the tools to do it.
The way I'd sell them is you order what you want done to the kit, for guys wanting to learn how to build a call. I can offer kits from,
1. a start to finish kit, ( wood blocks with the patterns drawn on them ).
2. a cut out and shaped kit, (everything cut out and shaped).
3. a crowned and hewned out kit, ( box is hewned out and the crown is put on the paddle).
4, a semi-finished call kit, ( call is assembled and you'd have to finish the tuning and the sanding on the call).
5. a finished call, ( all that is left to do is light sanding and put what ever finish on you want).
I can do what ever you want done to it? I know there are a lot of guys that want to learn to build, but don't have the tools or the time to do so, these kits would offer them a chance to learn, depending on what skills they have or what tools they have or don't have.
Just throwning this out there to see if there is any intrest in it?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Re: Question for you guys

Postby Steve_In » July 31st, 2013, 9:32 am

I know "In the White" and high-end kits are a popular way to buy ML's. All the hard technical work is done you just add inlays, carving and finish it to taste. There are several different box and pot call parts out there right now, but I have never seen a turpin. I see the advantage to buying such a call, you would not have a big investment and could experiment and learn without buying a shop full of power tools you may not have a clue on their operation. It might be worth the effort. Also established call makers would not have to make patterns and fixtures to add a classic call to their line.
Last edited by Steve_In on July 31st, 2013, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » July 31st, 2013, 10:01 am

It sounds like a good idea Scott. The variety of packages is also a good idea. Would you also offer a variety of woods? Another plus is that an experienced call maker would be choosing the blanks for the body and paddle, making sure that the grain direction, etc. was correct.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 1st, 2013, 1:35 pm

Steve_In wrote:I know "In the White" and high-end kits are a popular way to buy ML's. All the hard technical work is done you just add inlays, carving and finish it to taste. There are several different box and pot call parts out there right now, but I have never seen a turpin. I see the advantage to buying such a call, you would not have a big investment and could experiment and learn without buying a shop full of power tools you may not have a clue on their operation. It might be worth the effort. Also established call makers would not have to make patterns and fixtures to add a classic call to their line.

Yes it is Steve, that is what I used to do when I started building ML's, I'd buy the barrel, lock, and trigger, and any furniture that I wanted on the gun, then go to one of the stock co. and pick out the wood I wanted, have them inlay it and do the rest myself. That's how I came up with the idea for the call kits, there are so many Cost style kits out there, but I haven't seen any Turpins or Gibson kits. It gives a person a chance to learn without having a big cost in all the tooling to see if they realy like building a call, if they deside that they really like building then they can work up a shop of their own.

Yes Ted, I'd offer a few different wood choices (if I can get it) and a few different kits to allow someone to learn as much as they wanted in buildng calls. The tuning is the most imporant part of box call building, but once you learn how to do it the rest is pretty easy. The Turpin is one of the easiest box calls to build. These kits would allow just that, someone could learn without having the high cost of building a shop or buying all the machinery needed to build a call.

I guess I just miss teaching the call building classes. We used to be able to use the high schools shop for the classes, so we had all the tools needed. We had students of all ages and it was fun teaching them, man you'd run into problems that you thought you'd never see and it was fun and intresting to try to figure out how to make something work out and solve the problems, it was a never ending learning prosses :D , but they closed the school and we lost the shop :| . I then joined up with the nwtf's women in the outdoors program and taught the ladies how to build pot calls at our WITO show, I'd take a bunch of unfinished calls and let the ladies build their own calls at the banquet, and teach them how to tune a pot call and make one so they'd produce different sounding calls. That's how I got asked by the nwtf to build a set of calls for their nationals show in TN for their live premiror call auction, and a few other nwtf state banquet auctions.

This would be a no.2 Turpin Kit shaped and cut out, ready to be hewned out, tuned, and finished--Curly Maple/Butternut
Attachments
Z_No.2 Turpin Kit-2.jpg
Z_No.2 Turpin Kit-2.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Z_No.2 Turpin Kit.jpg
Z_No.2 Turpin Kit.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 296 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » August 5th, 2013, 7:07 pm

sounds like a great idea, I,d be interested!
Brian

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » August 9th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Scott I believe this is a great idea and awful nice of you.
Is it turkey season yet?

Return to Call Makers