Poults?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Poults?

Postby kygobbler » July 26th, 2013, 4:19 pm

After reading about all the poult sightings and thinking how bow season is only a month and 13 days away, how old are the poults before you can tell which are jennies and which are jakes? There have been a couple of times where I thought I was pulling the trigger on an adult hen only to find out when I walked up to it and looked real close at the feathers that I had actually shot a young jake.

Usually I don't turkey hunt in the fall untill October and even then I sometimes have a hard time telling which is which. I know the tips of the feathers are different colors but with my colorblindness its hard to tell unless they are within spitting distance. Im just wondering if there is anything else I could look for that I might not have noticed before?

Also, I am jealous of some you that are able to get in the woods and play while Im working 6 days a freaking week. :twisted: :D

ylpnfol

Re: Poults?

Postby ylpnfol » July 26th, 2013, 8:47 pm

If you can get close to a flock, the best way to tell is face color, which may be difficult if you are colorblind, jakes have a pink face, hens ( jennies ) bluish grey, but it can still be tough to tell them apart til nov. - dec., but if you get a shot with a bow, my suggestion would be to take the shot, ( which is gonna be tuff enuff, unless you're in a blind ) and ask questions later, assuming either sex is legal of course.... :shock: Good luck
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » July 27th, 2013, 10:15 am

If I can sneak off, I will take a shot because both sexes are legal in the fall. I was just curious on how old they are when their feathers change color and start looking like jakes and jennies.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 27th, 2013, 1:57 pm

It somewhat depends on what they have to eat and how fast they develop. If their getting a lot of protein they will develop faster, but if the food is scarace then they grow a lot slower. Some young jakes will start to show a beard by late fall, some not until spring. It also has to do with how late the hatch was. Jakes will start to show dominance at an early age and be more aggressive towards other birds in the flock even before they grown their sexable feathers. Even at a young age their heads will slitely change colors from a pinkish to a white head if they are agitated enough, just like in the spring when you give them a fighting purr they come in white headed, but if you giving them sexy talk they come in bright red/white headed. It's fun to make their heads change color when your teaching a new hunter how to work birds to the call.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » July 27th, 2013, 7:55 pm

The jakes will have some black tipped breast feathers in early fall, but not all will be, so if they are alongside the jennies they may appear darker and should Also be a little bigger.... Shoot straight..... I haven't seen any yet, but people are seeing some big flocks around here, sounds like we may have another decent recruitment...
David

You never know, unless you go

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion