Out of State Harvest Permit

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
ads1

Re: Out of State Harvest Permit

Postby ads1 » July 17th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Scouting St Croix and Dunn Counties today. Looks like there are turkeys everywhere!! I think September 4 is the magic day in Wisconsin and I can't wait. Google Earth will be helpful now that I have coordinates and property lines. :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 17th, 2013, 2:07 pm

ads1 wrote:I think September 4 is the magic day in Wisconsin and I can't wait

Um, better put a 1 in front of that 4 the season opens Sept 14th. We wouldn't want one Wisconsin's finest COs writing you a ticket.

You are right about the turkeys, there a lot of them...
Come on Fall!
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » July 17th, 2013, 5:57 pm

ads1 wrote:Scouting St Croix and Dunn Counties today. Looks like there are turkeys everywhere!! I think September 4 is the magic day in Wisconsin and I can't wait. Google Earth will be helpful now that I have coordinates and property lines. :D

Try going to the counties website as they may also have plat books online. I know I used this a few years ago in Polk county and it helped a lot. Heck you might even find more land to hunt them you already have.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ads1

Postby ads1 » July 17th, 2013, 6:38 pm

charlie elk wrote:
ads1 wrote:I think September 4 is the magic day in Wisconsin and I can't wait

Um, better put a 1 in front of that 4 the season opens Sept 14th. We wouldn't want one Wisconsin's finest COs writing you a ticket.

You are right about the turkeys, there a lot of them...
Come on Fall!

I stand corrected! :lol: Anxious! :D

ads1

Postby ads1 » July 17th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Try going to the counties website as they may also have plat books online. I know I used this a few years ago in Polk county and it helped a lot. Heck you might even find more land to hunt them you already have.

Dewey

Thanks Dewey! Think my plate is load, but I like the plat books for boundary lines. Good suggestion.

Terry

ads1

Postby ads1 » July 18th, 2013, 7:48 am

One of the challenges of hunting on a dairy farm is that corn is planted in many of the good hunting areas and it will still be standing at the start of the turkey season. Of course there are those alfalfa hay fields that look good. Hope to come back a few days before season starts to locate some birds. September 14 is one of the earliest starting dates that I have found and it is a month earlier than Illinois. :D

ads1

Postby ads1 » July 18th, 2013, 6:49 pm

This evening while coming home from the St Croix Fair, we saw turkeys in the soybean fields. They were giants and looked like emus. :D

dewey

Postby dewey » July 20th, 2013, 12:25 am

ads1 wrote:This evening while coming home from the St Croix Fair, we saw turkeys in the soybean fields. They were giants and looked like emus. :D

I foresee a very long sleepless night for you before the season starts:). Sounds awesome. I am looking forward to reading about the reports.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » July 20th, 2013, 8:35 am

Good luck with your fall hunt. I have hunted in the fall for about 6 years now and its a lot of fun especially if you can get a good break up and call them back in. Usually hunt Michigan and they changed their season to open earlier a few years ago. It usually opens around Sept 15th now. I have yet to have luck early and seem to have better luck in the later part of October- beginning of November. Not sure why but they seem to be easier to find. I suspect that it is because they are still somewhat spread out then. But in October/November they seem to be more concentrated in the bigger flocks on the farm I hunt. Again good luck fall turkey hunting is fun.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 20th, 2013, 10:00 am

You are about to experience the finest fall turkey hunting in the nation.

You can try for what I call the Annual Wisconsin Slam-- WI has a turkey season during all 4 seasons.
It is summer until Sept 21 that means you have 8 days to kill a summer turkey.
Fall turkey is from 9/22 to 12/20
Winter turkey is from 12/21 to 12/31
Then of course there is the 6 week spring season.
Kill a turkey during each season you have Wisconsin Slammed. Kill one on New Year's Eve for bonus points. Sorry there are no record books to record the feat, no awards and no headlines just the personal satisfaction knowing you are a complete year round turkey hunter.

Trust me on this, each of those seasons offer its own set of challenges which spring only turkey hunters refuse to accept. ;) Welcome to the rarified club of turkey addicts.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting