Messin' around the shop

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
Dixie Belle

Messin' around the shop

Postby Dixie Belle » July 12th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Well, I finally decided to vacuum up all the sawdust and wood chips in the shop this week. Then I decided that the floor looked too clean, soooo..., a couple of rainy afternoons later. A 3 inch Birch tube and a 2 1/2 inch combo Mahogany and Walnut tube plus a Red Cedar scratcher with a Cherry striker. Now I have to go down to the hardware store and get some more O-rings 'cause wouldn't you know, I'm out. :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad I still have some Latex sheets left. By the way these are the newest type of my tubes with the constrictor baffle and the resulting resonance chamber. Sure makes 'em easier to play ;) .
Thanks for taking the time to look,
Ted
Attachments
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG (86.8 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

kygobbler

Re: Messin' around the shop

Postby kygobbler » July 12th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Ted nice work. I'm curious on your scratch calls, why do you use cedar? Does it sound better than other woods?

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » July 12th, 2013, 9:26 pm

There are several reasons Ky. It's a very traditional wood with a lot of character. It's easy to work. It's not expensive to buy in bulk. But, best of all, I like the richness of the tone. Call me old fashioned, but I love the tones of the traditional woods like cedar. I'm quite sure that a large variety of woods would and do produce great sound, but, there is something about the cedar (to my old worn out ears) that just sounds "right" for a scratcher. ;)
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » July 12th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Sounds good to me. I was thinking you probably liked cedar over other woods but I figured I would ask.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 12th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Nice mess you made there Ted :P . I like that mahonut tube.

I agree with Ted on the sound of cedar, it's been used for making calls since calls have been made. It has that natural turkey sound to it.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » July 13th, 2013, 11:02 am

Great looking calls Ted! I bet there was a nice smell from the cedar after you made that call.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Call Makers