Poult Watch

charlie elk

Re: Poult Watch

Postby charlie elk » July 3rd, 2013, 2:00 pm

turkey nest hatching.jpg
turkey nest hatching.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 441 times

Photo - Courtesy of Indiana DNR

That's great picture Steve_IN, thanks!

@gopher, On Tuesday afternoon I took the scenic route back home through some of your hunting areas. Happy to report there are plenty of turkeys of all sizes there too. It is really looking good. Saw about 2 dozen poults, scattered groups of gobblers.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » July 3rd, 2013, 5:01 pm

That is a very cool photo. :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 9th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Found a fresh 4 egg nest yesterday 7/8 and looks like the hen has been around regularly.
Also flushed a group of pheasant size poults with no hen around. Those poults flew like adults.
The bugs are thick so all the poults should have enough protien to fatten up by September.
Still seeing good numbers of bachleor gobbler groups, they've been hanging in the corn which is making them harder to spot. Farmers get worried they're eating corn but they are actually in it bugging which I would think is benficial. Besides there are no corn kernals yet only maybe a few leftovers from last year.
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » July 10th, 2013, 12:47 pm

I've been purposefully staying away from WI in hopes the time will go faster this summer, I'll get over there and put in some serious scouting around mid august. About 2 months to go! come on fall!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 11th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:I've been purposefully staying away from WI in hopes the time will go faster this summer

And is it working?

My time out watching turkeys goes by much faster than the time inside...
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » July 11th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Nah not really, but have been so busy lately it has helped a little. ;)

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 12th, 2013, 11:23 am

Oh well, thought you knew a secret I had over looked. :?

The other day while driving some backroads you are very familar with. Vic jumped up sticking his nose out the open window. All I saw was corn at first. After some careful glassing while enduring excited yips (my ears are still ringing) I spied at least 20 gobbler heads peering above the corn.
I lost count of all the poults out along the roads.
It's really looking good everywhere I go. :D
later,
charlie

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » July 15th, 2013, 10:09 pm

This past weekend I saw 2 hens with a large group of softball sized poults. Couldn't count them as I was going by to fast.

This morning I almost hit a group of 8-10 poults that were only what I would guess as maybe a week or so old. They were pretty small and momma hen was standing in the ditch. Luckily I missed them.
I have also been seeing some nice bachelor groups running around. Looking good for the fall!!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 16th, 2013, 11:57 am

In my area of southern Ohio we don't have that much open ground to see poults in, as most ground is forest or row crops. However, I did see one poult Saturday in a way I never expected and was also saddened by. I went to a 4-5 year old clear cut area to pick blackberries and as I was walking the logging road I spotted a brown lump in the path. On inspection it was a grouse size poult laying there completely still. I thought it was dead, but when i touched it the poult jumped up and tried to run. Sadly it could only go a few inches and would fall over. On inspection i found it's right leg severely injured. I don't know how it happened, but it was obviously a fatal wound. The poor poult was so weak it would lay over and close it's eyes after trying to run. I hope the rest of the brood fared better. I have never ran across any like this and really hope not to again. It truly made me sad, I consider the young of any species in a somewhat sacred way. I know nature weeds out the weak and it's natural, but I still want them all to make it. Now when they're adults and able to fend for themselves it's game on. I think this is something that the antis never consider, that we who hunt have a deep love and respect for the animal kingdom as a whole. They see it as a contradiction, but it is not at all.

There was a red tailed hawk soaring overhead calling loudly, perhaps that day it had a good meal and the cycle of life went on.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 7th, 2013, 8:39 am

A late hatch and it's wide spread!? I am finding small barely feathered, flightless poults that clearly have hatched within the last week. Thought the first brood was an anomaly but there newly hatched broods spread out all over my main 30 square mile stomping grounds. These young birds should do well in the upcoming weeks as there is a lot insect life, abundant hoppers, caterpillars and flies.
Come Sept 14 these poults will be about volley ball size and contain all white meat.

Anyone else seeing new hatches?
later,
charlie

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin