ALWAYS be willing to help

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

ALWAYS be willing to help

Postby kygobbler » July 1st, 2013, 10:05 pm

On my way to work this morning it was pouring down rain. I had a car in front of me and we both saw a car in the emergency lane and got in the left lane. We slowed down a little bit and noticed a man laying flat on his back with his arms and legs spread out. Apparently he had wrecked and hit a guard rail. The car in front of me pulled over immediately. Since he pulled over I thought about going on to work but my concise got to me and I pulled over also. When I did another car pulled over also.

I got out of my truck and started walking down there pretty quick. I walked by the two cars and none of them even got out of their vehicle. I get close to the wreck car and I hear the guy asking for help. I turn around and smack the window of the first car. A guy comes out and I tell him to call 911. He goes ok, I will call right now.

I get to the injured guy and he doesn't look to bad until he turns his head to look at me. He has a major cut starting from the middle of his forehead down the side of his head, through his right ear, and ending to the back of his head. Plus, where the cut was his head was swollen a good 1.5" running with the cut. I tried not to have the "oh shit" look on my face but I know it was there. Also, I happened to know the guy because he worked at my uncle's tobacco warehouse a few years ago.

I go back to my truck and grab a pair of rubber gloves. I asked the two guys that were there if they had a towel or anything I can put on the side of his head to slow the bleeding. A guy grabs a towel out of the wrecked car with his bare hands. :o :shock: :roll: I put the towel over the laceration and ask the guy what happen and he told me that the car slide a little and then he lost control. From what I could tell he just hydroplaned and nailed the guard rail. He keeps telling me that no one would stop and help him and asked me to call his girlfriend,

When the ambulance finally showed up, I got out of the way and headed on to work. About 4 o'clock his girlfriend told me that when he got to the hospital he was in critical condition but was now in critical but stable condition. She told me that he had 3 broken ribs, a major artery and nerves were cut, several stitches from the laceration, and his ear was only attached by the skin on the front. She also told me that he had lost 4 pints of blood before the ambulance showed up.The doctor told her that if he would have been laying there any longer he would have died.

That last part is what got me. He told me that several cars had passed by but none of them would stop. So if you see a car in the emergency lane please stop and help.
Is it turkey season yet?

misoiltester

Re: ALWAYS be willing to help

Postby misoiltester » July 2nd, 2013, 5:01 am

Wow .. what a good deed and keeping your sences and cool in a bad situation!!! Glad he's doing better!!
What happened to the other 2 cars, other than 1 grabbed the towel and one called 911?? :shock:
I don't carry rubber gloves in my vehicle, do you for game cleaning?? :?:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 2nd, 2013, 10:32 am

Good job KY. I too always stop to render aid whenever there are no emergency crews on site. Seems most folks don't want to get involved, maybe fear they won't know what to do or fear what they'll see. This last one always makes me a bit queasy but as you stated someone's life could be on the line.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 2nd, 2013, 11:31 am

Good job KY.
It's getting to be that way around this country, if that guy would of been waving a $10 bill you'd of had to fight your way through the crowd to help him. I learn to help people from my dad, he'd always get up early and go down to the factories at shift changes in the winter time, just to help people out that couldn't get their cars started. He'd get them going so they could go home from work. He would never take cash for helping them, just a thank you. I'd always go along and help where I could, and learned you never can be enough help to someone when they need it, they appreciate all the help they can get.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » July 2nd, 2013, 2:11 pm

You are a great guy KY for more than likely saving that guys life! We run across a fair amount of people that slid off the road and if there are people inside I always try to stop and make sure everyone is ok.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » July 2nd, 2013, 4:43 pm

misoiltester wrote:Wow .. what a good deed and keeping your sences and cool in a bad situation!!! Glad he's doing better!!
What happened to the other 2 cars, other than 1 grabbed the towel and one called 911?? :shock:
I don't carry rubber gloves in my vehicle, do you for game cleaning?? :?:

A cop was the first to arrive to the scene and after he showed up I never saw the other people again. Then again I wasn't paying close attention to them any way. The reason why I just happened to have some gloves in my truck is because my wife can not stand the feel of hamburger meat. We were out of gloves at home and I didn't want to go to wally world just for that so I grabbed some from work and accidentally left a pair in my truck. After this episode I think I will keep a pair all the time.

At work I have been trained to be a first responder. I guess the training finally paid off. Its one of those things you hope you never have to use.

The main reason why I posted this is not because of what I done but for what the other people didn't do. I just hope this might make someone who doesn't normally stop change his/her mind and they stop to help someone out. It just baffles my mind how a man could have lost his life because nobody could stop and spend some time to help.
Is it turkey season yet?

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 2nd, 2013, 6:31 pm

If I'm honest I have to admit I don't always stop for someone pulled off the road, but for an accident when no emergency agencies are there I will. I have had the occasion twice in my life that I had to administer CPR, but both instances the men died. It hurt me to my very core that I could not save them. That does not deter me though. In both cases the families were very appreciative that I gave their loved one a fighting chance and tried.

I also have been on the other side and that hurt too. When I was shot in the turkey hunting accident my buddy and I made it to my truck and I still had a steep cut off bank to get over to get to my truck. By then I was weak and my buddy exhausted. He couldn't hardly pull me up and there was a man camping about 100 yards away from the gate where we parked. My buddy ran up yelled for help and the man just stood and watched. My buddy yelled at him that I was hurt real bad and the guy walked a little closer and stood and watched. He never lifted a finger. I can still see that jerk standing there doing nothing, I can only hope God can forgive me for the disdain I feel for him. So now I help whenever I can, you never know when it may be your life on the ropes.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » July 2nd, 2013, 7:39 pm

Great Job KY, you did something really awesome!
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

onpoint

Postby onpoint » July 6th, 2013, 8:39 am

Limb Hanger wrote:Great Job KY, you did something really awesome!

Ditto. Unfortunately, folks in our country become increasingly unwilling to help others :(
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion