The "Off Season"

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

The "Off Season"

Postby allaboutshooting » June 24th, 2013, 7:25 pm

The off seaason is the middle of the still target shooting season for Doris and me. We travel from mid March through November to various part of the U.S. to compete in still target shoots.

It's really a great opportunity to see just how different guns/chokes/shells shoot in different parts of the country with different altitudes, temperatures, barometric pressures. etc. We've learned a lot over the years.

The off season, at least as far as turkey hunitng is concerned, is really just another part of the turkey hunting experience. Shooting, patterning, and hunting are all a part of the wonderful sport of turkey hunting.

I really appreciate and enjoy every part of the experience and I hope you do as well.

Let's keep in toch and share what we learn in the "off season".

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

Re: The "Off Season"

Postby Cut N Run » June 26th, 2013, 9:14 pm

We have no Fall turkey season here, so I'll be using deer season to scout for turkeys from a tree stand.

I've got an old 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster (with a 6 digit serial number and grooved forearm) my Grandfather bought new that I decided to convert to a turkey gun. My Dumb@$$ older brother bulged the choke by shooting slugs through a fixed full choke barrel, so I am having William at Sumtoy cut the bulge off and thread it for choke tubes. I plan to have it camo dipped and maybe add a Burris Speed Bead if my bank account allows it. I know my Grandfather would love the idea of me turkey hunting with his old gun. I duck and dove hunted with that gun back when I was in high school before my idiot brother destroyed the choke, but I always hunted with bigger bored guns for turkeys.

On rainy days, I have been making up patterning targets to make sure my turkey guns and I are squared away when the season f-i-n-a-l-l-y gets here again.

One of my best friends just moved from New Mexico to Arkansas and I hope to get the chance to hunt with him in that part of the world next Spring...if the bank account allows that too.

I found a few new places to hunt around here this year, but one piece is for sale and could change hands at any time. I have been doing some satellite scouting using map programs on line and will check them out to see what I can turn up around those places when time permits. The wind storms that blew through here last week left me more work at the horse farms cutting up downed trees than I expected. Chainsawing in 90 degree heat is draining, but necessary. A few trees should help funnel the deer across the side of a hill and help bring them into bow range, so I'll be leaving those where they fell. A tornado touched down, peeled the shingles off my best friend's house, took down lots of his trees, pushed his boat and trailer way up into the woods, and blew the windows out of his house. His wife's company car had a tree fall across it and smash it almost flat to the ground. Good thing she is an insurance adjuster and that car is covered. His barn and storage shed are built to withstand heavy winds, and they absolutely did. At least the chances of that happening to him again are pretty slim.

I also have a living quarters horse trailer to gut (camper in the front, horse trailer in the back). The roof leaked and wrecked the inside. I'm tearing it down to studs inside, so my wife can get it put back together the way she wants. Who doesn't want to work inside a metal can in the heat? I've been working on it in the mornings before it gets hot and before I have to go do my paying gig.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 2nd, 2013, 1:47 pm

The off season finds me engaged in several activities. My daughter is in track, cross country, and show choir so that takes up some of my time. In addition there is the shared task of ferrying her to and from practices.
We just returned from a 10 day vacation to Washington DC and Gettysburg. We try for a family vacation every other year.
Since my son is in college he is not currently involved in extracurricular actives so that frees up some time from his high school days when it was band 24/7. :D
I fish and hunt. Fishing includes both Ice and open water. The target fish is bluegills for the most part. this spring I caught a personal best of a 10-3/4" slab. Still looking for a 12" to go on the wall. I also do the occasional walleye, pike and salmon trip.
Hunting is small game, deer and turkey.
I used to compete in muzzle loading matches but backed off for family related activities.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

hawglips

Postby hawglips » July 3rd, 2013, 1:24 pm

I'm hoping to get in the occasional fishing trip this summer. And I'm working up some new loads to fill some gaps.

But it'll be October and turkey season again before you know it!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion