Poult Watch

ticklishtompro

Re: Poult Watch

Postby ticklishtompro » June 25th, 2013, 10:37 pm

I saw my first group of poults today. But the hayfields are high and plenty of stuff for them to hide in. 2 weeks ago had 2 toms in the field across from me 1 strutting and gobbling his head off. Had to get out a call and make him gobble some more.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 28th, 2013, 8:28 am

Most of the hay fields around here have been cut twice now. The rain and cool weather has the grasses growing at an accelerated pace.
The other day a hay mower passed by flushing a hen up and out of a field, which of course got Vic's full attention. He sniffed the air and took off into field striking a perfect point near where the hen was. I walked over grimacing to check it out expecting to find chopped turkey. Incredibly, the poults held close to the ground and were missed by the blades. Ma hen returned about 30 min later and led her brood away.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 28th, 2013, 9:12 am

Charlie, I thought "technically" farmers aren't allowed to hay until mid July or something like that? Not that it's enforced...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 28th, 2013, 9:23 am

No such restriction that I'm aware of in WI. They have a Freedom to Farm law which prevents most outside interference in their operations.
Glad to see you're logged back in.
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 28th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I must be thinking of CRP in SD then. How do poult numbers this year look relative to last year while you've been out and about Charlie? I've been so busy lately I haven't had a chance to go looking. I sure haven't been seeing them all over the city like I did last spring.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 1st, 2013, 9:27 am

Seen a mama hen with a group of little ones in the ditch yesterday morning, first little ones I've seen.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 1st, 2013, 5:38 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote: How do poult numbers this year look relative to last year while you've been out and about Charlie?

Because I out mostly for the purposes of keeping Vic sharp with off season remedial training I try to go to areas where I do not expect turkeys to be. Since we've been encountering good numbers poults even in the not so great areas -- It must be a really good recruitment year.
Plus, I know this is a poult watch thread, but...
There are gangs of gobs everywhere.
Remember all those huge groups of jakes late last fall? Well they look to have survived very well indeed and all sporting 5-7" beards. Some call them super jakes and I just call em all gobblers. Add in all the gobs that did not get shot this spring and It's looking to be a stupendous fall season.
:roll: That is of course if it does not start snowing in August. :roll:

There was one field I was glassing about 30 gobblers (biggest summer time bach group ever) and the farmer pulls up to soon start complaining about all the turkeys in his beans. Then asks if there is anyway to clear them out of his fields? I mentioned the trained turkey dog in back of my truck. He says let's see, never heard of a turkey dog. As Vic raced across field, barking into the flock...
The farmer says DAM good, you want to come back here this fall and kill some of those @#%$^^ birds?
Of course.
Come on FALL
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » July 1st, 2013, 8:29 pm

charlie elk wrote:
There was one field I was glassing about 30 gobblers (biggest summer time bach group ever) and the farmer pulls up to soon start complaining about all the turkeys in his beans. Then asks if there is anyway to clear them out of his fields? I mentioned the trained turkey dog in back of my truck. He says let's see, never heard of a turkey dog. As Vic raced across field, barking into the flock...
The farmer says DAM good, you want to come back here this fall and kill some of those @#%$^^ birds?
Of course.
Come on FALL

:lol: sounds like you've got yourself a little honey hole lined up there Charlie. If the number of jakes around this spring was any indication, I think we are in for a terrific fall season as well! only 2.5 months to go :roll:

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 2nd, 2013, 11:48 am

Charlie I just posted this but thought I should put it here too. There is a good pic of hatching poults in August.

This is a link to a Facebook page from the IDNR. The picture is of a hatching clutch in AUGUST. That means the eggs would have been laid around now.

You will have a Facebook member to see this link
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

dewey

Postby dewey » July 3rd, 2013, 9:53 am

charlie elk wrote:There was one field I was glassing about 30 gobblers (biggest summer time bach group ever) and the farmer pulls up to soon start complaining about all the turkeys in his beans. Then asks if there is anyway to clear them out of his fields? I mentioned the trained turkey dog in back of my truck. He says let's see, never heard of a turkey dog. As Vic raced across field, barking into the flock...
Of course.
Come on FALL

Sounds like you have another great hunting location!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin