Poult Watch

charlie elk

Poult Watch

Postby charlie elk » June 17th, 2013, 9:45 am

A few weeks ago there were a good number of baseball size poults out and about. Since then we have had unseasonably cool temps, near constant drizzle rain and I've not been seeing or hearing any poults. Hope they are just out of sight somewhere.
This weekend there was quite a bit of gobbling. Re-nest time?
What's it like in other parts of the WI?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Poult Watch

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 17th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Been fairly dry here, only get rain maybe once a week. The hay fields are growing fast, so seeing any poults is difficult. Only birds I've seen are what cross the roads infront of me.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » June 21st, 2013, 8:45 pm

I've been seeing hens together behind my house with no poults... I would have expected to see them with some little ones or not at all.NE wisc
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 22nd, 2013, 2:18 pm

What a great morning of turkey watching here. Saw 4 different bachelor groups of 5-6 gobblers. Hen with 9 poults and a 32 member mixed group of hens and poults. I think the poults are finally big enough accompany their Moms about during the day. The poults I saw could all fly. Some buddies reported similar sightings in their north central areas.
The insects are out big time so I assume they were bugging in the fields.
later,
charlie

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 22nd, 2013, 2:34 pm

have not seen any poults yet over here in MN but yesterday morning at 7:00 a.m. i did see a huge tom strut n a few steps behind a hen??? i figured its a little late in the game for a hen & gobbler to be trying to start a family but??? i assume she was re nesting??? also seen a jake almost get nailed by a car a few miles away??? they were on the move yesterday i guess???

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 22nd, 2013, 8:43 pm

I seen 3 hens today while going to town. 2 stood watching as I drove by, but the 3rd dropped her head and was looking all around on both sides of her. I figured she had little ones with her hidden by the high grass?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 24th, 2013, 9:12 am

Poults are hard to see in the vegetation especially if they are still small. This morning Vic went on point right along the edge of the road and it turned out to be 3 poults that looked like they just hatched. They must have been able to walk? They could not fly yet and the ditch had been mowed last week. We left them unharmed.

There are occasional gobbles and strutters out. So there is either some re-nesting going on, which is typical or some of last year's late-born are just now being bred. Since I have began to really pay attention to turkeys all year round I have noticed there is a wide range in the size of the turkeys, both adults and poults. This leads me to believe they breed and nest all summer. Last October there were poults smaller than grouse.
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 24th, 2013, 12:25 pm

I'm curious, I know the breeding season is about the same time every year for most hens. Even though the weather may not be right for laying eggs (especially this spring) with the ground temps being to cold to nest. I know they breed by age, your oldest hens being the first bred on down to the youngest bird. I'm curious as to how long a hen can carry a Tom's seed in her before it becomes unfertile to produce fertile eggs? That may be why some hens nest later than others, they may carry it to long before they start to nest and then lay eggs and nest on them until she discovers that the eggs aren't fertile and then goes to find another Tom which may have left the area to regroup with other Toms, to rebreed again?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 24th, 2013, 2:34 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote: I'm curious as to how long a hen can carry a Tom's seed in her before it becomes unfertile to produce fertile eggs? That may be why some hens nest later than others, they may carry it to long before they start to nest and then lay eggs and nest on them until she discovers that the eggs aren't fertile and then goes to find another Tom which may have left the area to regroup with other Toms, to rebreed again?

I wondered the same thing, did some research and wrote a post on my blog about turkey egg laying
http://www.charlieelk.com/2013/when-do- ... wisconsin/
Here is an excerpt from the lengthy piece.
When a gobbler mates with a hen his sperm travels into the hen’s oviduct and remains in there in the infundibulum, sometimes referred to as ”sperm nests” areas that collect and store semen for later fertilization of the turkey’s eggs.

On rare occasions I have seen turkeys mating as late as mid July. I think the hens sperm storage abilities are what allows for most late nesting.
later,
charlie

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 24th, 2013, 2:48 pm

they have write n once or twice about the hens ability to store the gobblers sperm in T & TH B4 lovett e williams said that the hen can store all the sperm & make all the eggs she will need for that entire season with 1 time being breed... he has studied turkeys longer then ive been alive so i assume he ment the can store enough sperms/eggs to be able to re nest without needing to re breed with a gobbler b4 every re nest attempt??? thats natures reason to give the hen turkey the ability store a gobblers sperm 1 gobbler can cover some ground & breed many hens i a area & not have to stay in 1 place all breeding season...

yes there is always variation in turkey hatch times & thus poult size difference thats how we get supper jakes correct??? are they not early hatched poults from the prior spring/summer???

Next

Return to Wisconsin