Turkey junky's turkey mounts

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

Turkey junky's turkey mounts

Postby dewey » June 21st, 2013, 10:16 am

Here are some pictures that turkey junky wanted me to post for him of his and his dad's turkey mounts.

They look great TJ! Congratulations!

Dewey
Attachments
Photo-0203 (Copy).jpg
Photo-0203 (Copy).jpg (210.19 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Photo-0206 (Copy).jpg
Photo-0206 (Copy).jpg (223.61 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Photo-0207 (Copy).jpg
Photo-0207 (Copy).jpg (225.09 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Photo-0204 (Copy).jpg
Photo-0204 (Copy).jpg (240.89 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Last edited by dewey on June 24th, 2013, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Re: Turkey junky's turkeyt mounts

Postby misoiltester » June 21st, 2013, 10:40 am

Nice mounts, especially the wall mounts ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 21st, 2013, 11:27 am

thanks dewey i appreciate it alot man... told dewey & kygobbler i would try to get some pics of the mounts up on the site after seeing kygobblers capes he did this season...

just got the bird on the right-hand side of the wall back from KS its a rio i shot there last yr 2012 the eastern or the bird on the left was my 1st ever mature long beard gobbler i ever shot so we mounted it was with my dad at the time also so it was a special bird to us... i like how them wall mounts take up much less space then a standered full body gobbler mount does...

the full mount bird on the floor is my dads KS rio grande also from the 2012 season we have not hung it on the wall yet but that full mount struter call hang on the wall like hes on the roost its a cool mount... that bird had damn near 1 3/8 needle sharp spurs but only a 6.5-7 inch beard lol but he was a beautiful bird... my dad also watched that bird breed a hen B4 he shot it another special bird we will always remember so we mounted is also the 2 KS birds came on the same hunt in 2012...

next for me is a MERRIAM'S gobbler to go up on the wall along with the eastern & rio birds i have already i plan on hunting merriam's in 2-3 states next season so i hope i will get a snow white true merriam's for the wall & im not holding my breath on harvesting a osceola anytime soon as i want to get my osceola off public lands so it mite be awhile B4 i get that bad boy in my hands & or on the wall mounted??? im not sure if id get a full body mount done if i shot a osceola or just stick with the strut n wall mount style like i have already???

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 21st, 2013, 8:35 pm

I like those mounts on the wall also. Did you do them yourself or did a taxidermist do it? I usually don't like the wing mounts but I think I might have to give that one a try.

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » June 22nd, 2013, 5:43 am

Great looking mounts! My goal is to one day have bird mounted as it was gobbling on the roost; placing on the loft rail or branch overlooking the family room. I'd wire speaker near the turkey so when the door bell is rang it would sound as if the bird was gobbling. My wife other ideas for placement of said turkey (the garage).
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » June 22nd, 2013, 7:15 am

kygobbler wrote:I like those mounts on the wall also. Did you do them yourself or did a taxidermist do it? I usually don't like the wing mounts but I think I might have to give that one a try.

Those are the best wall mounts I've ever seen hangin' !!! ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 22nd, 2013, 1:04 pm

Limb Hanger wrote:Great looking mounts! My goal is to one day have bird mounted as it was gobbling on the roost; placing on the loft rail or branch overlooking the family room. I'd wire speaker near the turkey so when the door bell is rang it would sound as if the bird was gobbling. My wife other ideas for placement of said turkey (the garage).

Would be neat to find a hollowed out log to use. Mount the speaker in the log so you'd get the echo to sound like the bird was deeper in the woods?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 22nd, 2013, 2:18 pm

the late great dick kirby had tons of mounts like my 2 full strut wall mounts i remember seeing his office at quaker boy on a DVD or VIDEO & he had all 4 sub species to make a grand slam behind his office chair on the wall it looked so sweet & i wanted to do the same after seeing that in his office...

thanks guys i dig these mounts my-self also... the picture or my phone camera dose not do them justice they are top notch mounts we have a older full body merriams mount all our mounts use the freeze dried heads & these last 2 rios we got back were by far the best paint jobs on the heads we ever had done!!! 50X better then other mounts i have seen done head paint & body posture wise...

kygobbler no i didnt do the mounts my-self in the past we have maid full body & feathered hen decoys maid from the skins of dead road killed hens... we have maid jake decoys also out of the skins & last season my brother maid a full body full strut gobbler decoy/mount it looks just like a stutter mounted he did a quality job he had to add a head but ill try & get a pic of that bad boy its a B**** to carry around the woods but it does work he shot a gobbler over that decoy with archery equipment this spring at like 7 steps so the turkeys think it looks good also...

i mean in 1 of the last T & TH they did a story about JJ RICHE or some name like that went to IA with cali morris from hazel creek taxidermi studio in MO & shot a big eastern & wanted to mount it they did a little story on how to prep ur turkey after u harvest 1 for the taxidermist & they showed his finished product or finished mounts of a few others & man they were brag n about how good they paint there freeze dried heads for customers & showed a few pics im being 100% honest my WOMEN taxidermist in middle of no wear farm country KS dose/did a way better job on her full body mounts head paint & posture ive been in alot of taxidermist studios & this lady paints the best heads ive ever seen so i had to get a bird done from her!!! i will not bring my merriams turkey mount when i want 1 to be mounted to any other taxidermist studio... she has loads of awards & i have never seen a shotty half a** looking mount come out of that studio in 3-4 yrs its just her & her direct family doing the work unlike a big time taxidermist studios wear they have 5+ guys doing work & training to be a taxidermist you tend to get half A** work done that way & it takes forever...

im not sure why it is??? but ive never seen a very realistic mount of a longbeard gobbling??? i dont know if its due to the fact its so damn hard to get a gobblers head & face posture real looking B4 or after they freeze dried the head??? or maybe its because they cant use a real freeze dried head & are forced to use fake heads for that gobbling mount but the paint always looks fake as all hell on them gobbling turkey mounts??? there was 1 in the background of that article about how to care for your bird from field to taxidermist it looked decent but up close them mount tend to look fake to me & others that have been with me when i seen that style of mount??? so i would be a good idea to have a spot up & away from prying eyes once you get a full strut gobbling mount just in case its not the best quality??? lol my fathers full body struter mount can also be hung on the wall like its a gobbler strut n on the limb very cool mount can sit on the floor or hang on wall...

that gobbling turkey mount with the speaker in the stump would be sweet & be a good conversation peace for any visitors to your home... hunters or not...

if any of you ever want to get the style of mount i have the full strut half mount you can hang on the wall with the wings like my mounts you better bring a picture of the mount as there is a lot of room for error in-between what you want done & what the taxidermist thinks you want done so bring a picture with you it saves time & confusion... if you look at my 2 mounts on the wall they are not 100% the same the eastern is a typical style mount done by most taxidermist the rio grande was a little different the wings are more realistic & swayed back i think... also the breast feathers are a little different on the 2 mounts the easterns breast is a more round style mount & the rios breast feathers are more V shaped style breast set up almost looks like it has 2 sides or legs its a little harder to see a beard on that style of mount but you just got to shoot a bird with over a 9 inch beard i guess to be able to see it clearly lol

the only thing i was not a fan of or didnt like about my KS mount was how the taxidermist jammed all my buff/creamy/tan color feathers that make the mount a rio grande sub species all together & didnt leave the middle ring of creamy/buff/tan color feathers visible they are all jammed together wear my dads mount has the real turkey fanning look with the rump feathers then the middle ring of color feathers then the top of the fan wear it will be tan/buff/cream color also i will have to explain it to her in person again next season... i think i confused her as i kept explaining i want all the color on my turkeys back in the mount so??? the eastern mount is also a bummer in that aspect as if you can tell the taxidermist took all my brown rump feathers that make my turkey a eastern sub species he just left the middle ring of feathers not the middle/upper tail covert feathers man i was pissed off when i seen that... thats a major mart of any wild turkey mount to me!!!??? ive seen plaques done the same way also that would piss me off if you got a plaque done of say a snow white merriams & they taxidermist didnt leave all the snow white tail covert feathers on your fan for the plaque!!! some taxidermist dont know they are even doing anything wrong when they do that the taxidermist in KS didnt even know there was more then 1 sub species of wild turkey when i met her!!! i kept saying i will bring you a merriams also she said what the hell is that i never mounted a merriams??? i said its just another sub species of wild turkey like a mule deer & whitetail deer she was like wow really what kind do we have here in KS!!!??? i said wow nobody ever explained it to her now she knows & really wants to mount all the sub species...

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion