Leaf Suit

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kcfishnerd

Leaf Suit

Postby kcfishnerd » March 11th, 2009, 12:56 pm

I was thinking about getting a leaf suit to bow hunt in this year.  I was wondering if anyone used them and what kind.  There are quite a few out there and I don't want to get one that is going to fall apart on me.  As with my normal camo I plan on getting a light colored pattern so I don't turn into a dark blob at 20 yrds. out.  Thanks for the input.

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Leaf Suit

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 12th, 2009, 3:39 am

I don't own one but I have seen where guys say that they really like the Mossy Oak Diffusion suit's.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 12th, 2009, 4:59 am

I have owned the Diffusion suit and it is top quality, very nice for the money too.

I currently own a Cabelas Pro Scent Lok suit because I can use it both in the spring for turkeys and the fall for deer/bear.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

TurkeyMo

Postby TurkeyMo » March 12th, 2009, 5:34 am

This is the Cabela's brand one.  You have to look very very close to see me up against the tree in my backyard.  Besides turkeys, I also just sat one time and had a buck mule deer just walk right on past me... Too bad I didn't have a tag.

Only bad thing about leaf suits...  they don't mix well when trying to cross barb wire fences.  Very easy to get snagged.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 12th, 2009, 5:39 am

ORIGINAL: kcfishnerd

I was thinking about getting a leaf suit to bow hunt in this year.  I was wondering if anyone used them and what kind.  There are quite a few out there and I don't want to get one that is going to fall apart on me.  As with my normal camo I plan on getting a light colored pattern so I don't turn into a dark blob at 20 yrds. out.  Thanks for the input.

I freely admit your mileage is going to vary. I know a lot of guys who swear by ghillies and leaf suits.
I own a ghillie suit that serves the same purpose; it's just heavier.  When I'm in it,  I'm invisible.  However, most of the time it stays home.  There is not a whole lot of difference I can find between it and an M65 field jacket in efficacy on turkey.

Here's why I think that is the case:  Camo works to break up your outline.  Leaf Suits and Ghillies do the same thing.  However, turkeys key on movement more than anything.  If you have on something that adds to your bulk and those clothes have lots of stuff hanging off them, you're adding movement to your set-up.  It would be like the difference between waiving a stick at them and waiving a feather duster. The extra stuff adds to the movement.  Each small movement you make gets telegraphed to every part of the leaf suit. 

For the most part I've gone back to natural blinds and leafy die-cut blinds for that reason.  It detaches me from the camoflage and does not telegraph movement.  My all-time favorite is a 4X6 piece of die-cut camo with parachute cord sewn around the edges.  I drape it over my hands when I'm using a box call or drape it over the back of a bush or between two branches to break up my form a little.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

NAZTY

Postby NAZTY » March 12th, 2009, 7:27 am

I don't recommend using one in turkey season. It adds bulk, and when you start sweating the dern thing sticks to you and itches like the devil. But I'm one that's always on the move tryin to make somthin happen. If you're the type that sits around it would probly work good.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 12th, 2009, 7:50 am

You was supposed to put on clothes underneath the suit....[:D]

ORIGINAL: NAZTY

I don't recommend using one in turkey season. It adds bulk, and when you start sweating the dern thing sticks to you and itches like the devil. But I'm one that's always on the move tryin to make somthin happen. If you're the type that sits around it would probly work good.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » March 12th, 2009, 8:02 am

You move with a leafy suit your still going to get busted. You sit still with regular camo or even natural color clothes your going to be fine. I really can't see a leafy suit helping somebody kill more turkeys.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 12th, 2009, 8:15 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyMo

This is the Cabela's brand one.  You have to look very very close to see me up against the tree in my backyard.  Besides turkeys, I also just sat one time and had a buck mule deer just walk right on past me... Too bad I didn't have a tag.

Only bad thing about leaf suits...  they don't mix well when trying to cross barb wire fences.  Very easy to get snagged.

you could hide BEHIND the tree in a tye-dye suit & we wouldn't see you...take your pic from the side your sittin....looks like a sore thumb on that white tree...wis turk hunters right...JUST DONT MOVE

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 12th, 2009, 9:49 am

Unless you die while sitting up against the tree your going to move, the leafy wear just gives you a little more room for error.

It's great stuff, but as with most hunting gadgets it's not a neccessity, just aids you a bit more.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion