NE FLASH HUNT RE CAP...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

NE FLASH HUNT RE CAP...

Postby turkey junky » June 3rd, 2013, 5:06 pm

3 time trying to post a comment on my own thread??? i ran out of time guys so i will have to add more to this thread later but we got 3 turkeys in 3.5 days of hunting in nebraska my buddy got a snow white merriams with 1.1/8 spurs & 9 inch beard 23 ponds & also shot 1 jake...

i ended up shooting 1 stud merriams hybrid he had 1.25 thick around spurs 21.10 pounds & had a double beard a 10 & a 8.5-9 inch beard he was a stud... i will send some pics to DEWEY & hope he can help me post them up???

all 3 birds came off public land & at totally new wmas to us both we lucked out on that flash hunt & got 3 birds total i should of had a tom the last day were hunted twice but i rushed the hunt & buggered up the birds instaed of just wait n for things to happen on there own...

didnt see any other hunters on the trip so that was a major plus!!! i also found a area that holds snow white merriams looking birds that put out a good sharp spur & were not over hunted so i think i will borrow into that wma come next season like a tick maybe during the early archery season so that im the 1st guy to get a shot at them birds & get my snow white merriams with spurs lol???

will try to post more later guys this hole write your hole story then hit submit thing then it loggs me off thing is really piss n me off it took like 3 times trying to post the SD story now 3 times to get this far i about done posting storys boys lol

dewey

Re: NE FLASH HUNT RE CAP...

Postby dewey » June 3rd, 2013, 10:01 pm

Congratulations on the hunt in Nebraska! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. Send me the pictures and I will post them for you. That is awesome that you found an area with no other hunters. Do you think the lack of hunters may have something to do with it being so late in the season?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 4th, 2013, 1:12 pm

im not sure about the late season being the reason there was no other hunters around dewey??? we only seen cattle workers & farmers at the 1st WMA it was just outside a run down town on its last leg but the dirt road it was on was bizzy for a dirt road all who lived back on that road had to come out the same way they went in so we seen alot of the same people no hunters??? id assume that WMA does see a few hunters each spring but when we pulled up there was no foot tracks or tire tracks to be seen nobody was there for wks id say & by the way the turkeys reacted to my 1st set of calls nobody had hunted there for a long while... i think a major reason nobody had hunted that WMA is its small size 1 guy could cover that WMA with ease & work turkeys if they are on the public land... there is a lot of similar habitat near by & after we shot that snow white merriams looking turkey i think the turkeys moved onto private land or flew the river to safety??? the small size of the WMA & the fact that there is not another WMA with good turkey habitat with in 35-40 miles & the small small town nearby i think keeps alot of turkey hunters in other places with more public land to jump around from place to place & hunt...??? the locals there were not big hunters either so that all helps keep a WMA prime turkey grounds lol

the 2nd WMA 35-40 miles away was just as remote in the middle of no where man!!! had to go like 17 miles 1 way to get gas!!! i think there was 1 gas station closer but my buddy only trusted his GPS not the old painted signs on the road lol we did see 1 old timer with his granddaughter drive n around well he was following us around the area & then passed us to talk he asked what are you guys lost??? we said no turkey hunting he mentioned he got his granddaughter a bird around here her 1st i dont know if he meant that she shot a turkey that day? or that season around there??? he was drive n his truck around & scared a turkey write into our camp a big hen... i think he was road hunting to be honest??? at 1st glance the 2nd WMA we hunted was more pheasant & quail habitat then prime turkey habitat i thought then i shot a bird on my 1st set up after seeing 2 gobblers on private land kitty corner from the WMA i called them & a in & should of had a double but only got the double bearded bird... my next set up with my buddy we called in 2 jakes & passed on them... the last nite we were there my buddy shot a jake & while he was cleaning it we herd turkeys gobble from camp & i roosted the birds the next morning i bumped into a gobbler at 60 steps after fly down & the flock went quit after that while i was pick n up camp & i herd 2 bird gobbling in the prairie grass behind our camp i had been calling with my box call over in that area B4 i went to camp & they came looking 45 min later i ran out & got busted twice well they didnt run they just folded there wings & walked the other way 2 times i only had 1 hour after we picked up camp to hunt as we wanted to hit the road by 10:00 am the last time i bumped the birds it was 9:45 so i just threw in the towel & went back to camp...

but that WMA i think would see a few hunters on opening day as im sure other people know there are turkeys around there also??? but again its kind of a small WMA 3-4 people could cover the hole area with room to spare but its not a huge area & there is not another WMA any wear nearby so i think that keeps alot of out of state hunters away & hunting in areas with public land in every direction & close by... not to mention there really was no hotels with in like 20 miles & the same goes for gas that keeps the guys who only stay in hotel rooms with breakfast every morning away only the hardcore hunter campers stay at that WMA we hunted i think??? there was not sign of hunters on that wma no other foot tracks no trees nipped to make a better set up spot not puffs of feathers at the parking areas & the turkeys worked to calls if you gave them the time to do so all that points to little to no hunter pressure...

its a nice mix of prairie type cover cottonwood river bottoms & even some oak trees in hilly terrain we never even hunted that overlooked the hole WMA & the river there is crops close by but on private land & huge pine & cedar tree wind breaks on the WMA there was bob white quail & pheasants all over there!!! they also had just did a prescribed burn on the area a few months B4 & the WMA was nice & greened up i shot my bird in the burn it looked ugly all around but the birds wanted to be there???

to be honest we were jammed in between 2 much more popular turkey hunting destinations in the state of nebraska & if we drove 60-80 miles in any direction we would of been in much higher turkey populations & better habitat im sure & with more public land to hunt but i think we would of also had much much more hunters to deal with in them areas... ive been in the NW part of the state in late late may & seen loads of out of state hunters all over the place & found puffs of feathers from dead turkeys at every parking area i stopped at also found set up trees & nipped branches way back in remote areas so its hard to get away from the hunters out there even late season...

thanks for helping with the pics ill send em to you ASAP im trying to get my buddy to e-mail me the good pic of me with the double bearded bird i only have a pic of him dead on the ground after i got him & a pic of his spurs & double beard...

dewey

Postby dewey » June 4th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Here are some pictures from turkeyjunky's Nebraska turkey hunt. Congratulations on the double bearded monster gobbler. I should mention that the fee for me resizing pictures is GPS coordinates of where this gobbler was killed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations on a heck of a season.

Dewey

0_1 (Copy).jpg
0_1 (Copy).jpg (403.44 KiB) Viewed 555 times

imagejpeg_0 (Copy).jpg
imagejpeg_0 (Copy).jpg (334.55 KiB) Viewed 555 times

imagejpeg_1 (Copy).jpg
imagejpeg_1 (Copy).jpg (335.6 KiB) Viewed 555 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 4th, 2013, 9:02 pm

thanks dewey if you ever want to go to NE let me know ill take you to some honey holes wear white feathered turkeys roam with long spurs & nice beards...

what sub species of wild turkey would you other turkey hunters call this bird??? MERRIAMS??? RIO GRANDE??? HYBRID of the 2??? i called him a MERRIAMS HYBRID & i was going to mount him but thought i could get a whiter turkey after looking at my buddys bird he bagged that was really snow white... my bird came in with a bird with a bigger beard but was much much darker in color really creamy & his body looked darker he was at least as big hey looked bigger when they were out of strut but i shot the most vocal bird that was doing most the strut n plus he was much whiter in color so that maid it EZ to pick the bird i wanted to take...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 5th, 2013, 5:29 pm

Nice bird TJ, that's a hoss for sure. Just looking at the picture I'd say merriams, but NE is such a hodgepodge of subspecies It's probably still a hybrid. Who really cares though right? Hybrids still gobble ;)

dewey

Postby dewey » June 14th, 2013, 11:12 am

Here are some more photos of turkey junky and his Merriam from Nebraska.

Congratulations on the Merriam TJ!

Dewey

CIMG3297 (Copy).JPG
CIMG3297 (Copy).JPG (278.58 KiB) Viewed 510 times

CIMG3298 (Copy).JPG
CIMG3298 (Copy).JPG (407.72 KiB) Viewed 510 times

CIMG3302 (Copy).JPG
CIMG3302 (Copy).JPG (185.31 KiB) Viewed 510 times

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 14th, 2013, 2:56 pm

thanks again dewey sorry it took so long to get them postedit took my buddy forever to e-mail them to me & he still left out the pics of his jake he had a nice pic of the jake next to some purple wild flowers & maybe 1 pic by some purple lilacs...

any way this is my only proof i got a double bearded turkey so had to post the proof... lol i also wanted to post this pic cuz i think in these pics that turkey looks much more rio grande ish rather then merriams looking...

1 pic of the 1st WMA kill spot wear my buddy scored a nice snow white merriams & i should of had 1 the night prior very small but beautiful area to hunt... in the pic with me & the turkey on the log thats the 2nd WMA we hunted near camp i worked turkeys in that open prairie type country shown in the pics in front of the woods the last hour we were there at that WMA... would of been visible from wear the pic was taken... another beautiful WMA & area of nebraska...

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » June 14th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Good for you on the hunts and on finding a new honey hole hope it works out just as well for you next year.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 14th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Nice job on the double beard. Its a great looking bird no matter what species you want to call it. Better yet soak it in buttermilk and garlic salt, dip it in flour, then fry it and call him delicious. :D

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion