Capes done, now for the beards

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Capes done, now for the beards

Postby kygobbler » June 14th, 2013, 8:44 am

I got done with my turkey capes a couple of weeks ago and have them hanging on the wall.

Capes1 2013.jpg
Capes1 2013.jpg (217.25 KiB) Viewed 953 times

Capes 2013.jpg
Capes 2013.jpg (209.43 KiB) Viewed 953 times

Now I need some ideas on how to display the beards. I usually stick them in the brass of a shell and hang them up, but I have about 10 beards that are too big to fit in the brass. I'm wanting to stick them in something and still use wax and/or glue to hold the beard together.

Does anybody have any beard displays that they would like to share?
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Re: Capes done, now for the beards

Postby dewey » June 14th, 2013, 10:52 am

The capes look great. This is a picture of Treeroosters beard and spur board and I have always thought it was AWESOME!! Someday I think I will do something like this possibly with cedar or something like that.

Dewey
Attachments
Beardboardwithspurs [].jpg
Beardboardwithspurs [].jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 949 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 14th, 2013, 3:09 pm

very cool treerooster i seen a pic wear a guy had a big stick & a gobblers hear on the end of the stick & he had his spent turkey load then under the brass he had the spurs 1 spur pointed left 1 spur pointed right then under the 2 spurs he had the beard hanging i really like that idea then i would put a little peace of paper in each empty turkey load with the birds stats weight spur/beard lenth date taken state i was hunting & how far the shot was & what public property i was on ETC. got that idea from jim casada i doubt i will forget wear each bird was taken but it is fun to look back & remember each hunt after you read your little note inside the empty turkey load...

i want to also cape out 1 of each sub species at least the main 3 rio merriams eastern just got to cape a merriams once i get it for the 3 capes got the 3 fans of each sub species already...

how do you get the ends of the turkey cape to fold over like you did kygobbler??? ive had trouble with that part i think i leave it harden to much b4 i try to trim the cape & fold the ends in ward??? i have 1 im about to just cut to make look like urs its a nice rio i got in KS last yr...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 14th, 2013, 3:15 pm

we just got back some mounts from kansas ill try & post some pics with help from dewey of course... lol

my father got back a nice rio grande full body gobbler strut n that can also be hung on the wall... i got a rio grande gobbler that is a half body mount that goes on the wall facing you but looks like its in full strut wings & all i like that style of mount it takes up less room overall...

both mounts are top notch & quality mounts that make our other turkey mounts look like a novice did the work!!! ill try & get them pics posted early next wk i think & you guys can let me know what you think...
Last edited by turkey junky on June 14th, 2013, 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » June 14th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Nice you can't even tell which one the cat got to !!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 14th, 2013, 9:26 pm

TJ, to be honest with you its just pure luck. After caping the bird I will lay it down on a piece of cardboard and start spreading it out. Then take straight pins and start sticking them in but I do stretch the hide a little before I stick the next pin. Now my ends might be twisting like that because I put pins down the sides and none in the middle. Even when I get to the end of the neck. The next bird I do I'll try to remember to put one in the middle and see what happens. I've made 7 so far so I'm still trying to figure out the tricks to get them to look perfect. I haven't gotten there but hopefully I will get close to it.

Tim, the cape on the left is the one the cat got. I didnt notice until I posted the pic but if you look at the feather pattern you can see where I glued them a little to far to the right.

Dewey, I like how treerooster has his stuff also but there is in one thing in that photo I am going to try to do. I want to make a Mr. Skully like that. I think that is awesome and I know my wife won't be to fond of it but it will be in the man cave. Lol
Is it turkey season yet?

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 14th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Oh by the way, majority of the cats just disappeared yesterday and guess who is getting the blame. :roll: This is one of the good times when my wife can tell if I'm not telling the truth because I didn't do anything to them. I ain't missing them either. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 15th, 2013, 10:59 am

I've got a friend that made a couple of beard holders. He's a black powder finatic and goes to a lot of rendezvous. He took a green willow branch and made a smaller circle with it and cut out a oak leaf out of some thin wood, then laced that in the center of the circle, like the indians did with a beaver blanket. Then he took his beards and wrapped the tips with dark leather and left a loop in the leather to hang around the branch, it looks like a dream catcher, but has turkey breads hanging all around it. He hung his from the ceiling so when you walk under it, it you can look up at it and see the oak leaf through the beards. Just something a little different?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 15th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Funny you brought that up Scott because me and a buddy of mine were talking about the same thing. We both agreed that it would be pretty cool to have a dreamcatcher with turkey beards and a turkey head in the middle. Then we started thinking of turning a cape and the wings into the dreamcatcher. That one is requireing a little more planning.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 15th, 2013, 7:20 pm

The one my buddy did looks great. I had given him a piece of Padauk and that's what he made the oak leaf out of. It looks cool with that orange/red leaf in the middle of it.
If you are any good at carving, you could carve a Gobblers head out of Red Cedar (so it would be red/white) and make the ring out of some thick wire (like a coat hanger) and drill two small holes in the bottom of the head and run a circle of wire around it. The Gobbler head could be mounted on a 1" dowel, and that could run down to the base. The base could be shaped like a Pot Call, so it would look like a pot call with a gobbler head striker, with a ring of beards and wood beads around it?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion