Ethics Check: Distance Dilemma

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

Re: Ethics Check: Distance Dilemma

Postby turkey junky » June 10th, 2013, 5:13 pm

any body else remember when this was published in T&TH think scott bestuel was the contributing writer???

no dilemma at all... B is my choice...

im on the quest for the public land grand slam & only have the osceola to go & even if it was legal witch rifles may be legal in FL? i know you can use handguns there but any way even if i could use a rifle i would never shoot a turkey with a rifle in the spring season... i doubt i would shoot 1 ever in the fall season wear legal also... the fact im after the final leg of my slam dose not change my ethics... id just hunt harder... so i would also take that check please...

im a old school 1 season turkey hunter who would rather not shoot a turkey at all then have to use a rifle to do so... why??? just to say i got a grand slam thats lame!!! i also wont shoot a hen wild turkey either... even if its a color phase wild turkey i seen a pic on the forums of a bearded silver phase hen shot & my brother father & i all asked each other would u shoot a bearded hen? even if it was a color phase? only my brother said he would do so... he asked us why we would not i said its like fishing to me i dont have to keep every big fish i catch just cuz i caught it & to me a hen will not look very cool on the wall no matter what color phase she is... but thats just me...

i have walked miles & crawled a few im sure as well ive froze my butt off in snow & melted in heat & got soaked in rain all for wild turkeys & hunting them at no point on any of them hunts did i say man i wish i had a rifle so i could just shoot 1 & go home... i may have said that but i was meaning shoot 1 with my shot gun i just dont need a turkey that bad... its all about the hunt for me & my father nowdays...
Last edited by turkey junky on June 10th, 2013, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 10th, 2013, 5:25 pm

as for the HEVI SHOT comments i do hunt a lot of PRAIRIE HABITAT out west OK SD NE KS & distance can be tricky to judge out there & sometimes a 40+-50+ yard plus shot dose present it self some guys only want a bird into X amount of yards thats great for them guys they have probably killed hundreds of turkeys & can have that mentality if they choose but i tend to be a guy that thinks hey if my gun shoots well out to 50 yards im going to kill a turkey out to 50 yards ETC... each to there own just dont go around wounding wild turkeys cuz you cant judge distance well just let them get closer??? same goes for a range finder just walk 25 steps from your set up & lay a stick there ETC... very simple...

a very simple way to solve the HEVI SHOT prob is just dont by them like eggshell or do like me & a few other do out there buy a box of 5-10 HEVI SHOT or denser then LEAD loads the big $$$ loads & then just by your fav LEAD turkey loads also & just load the 1st shot with the HEVI stuff & the rest with your LEAD shot or how ever you want to do it... i figure if i miss the 1st HEVI shot then im not wasting any more HEVI loads at a flying turkey many times i get a shot that lead will handle just fine if i do miss...

i use both LEAD & HEVI federal shells with the flite control wads they work just fine for me... call me crazy but i like it when them birds take a HEVI load at close range they hit em like a ton of bricks & 2-3 of the last birds i shot didnt even flop after the shot & they leave a mark at close range its ugly...

coyote1

Postby coyote1 » June 11th, 2013, 12:55 am

B calling the birds within 40 yards is what it is about for me.

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » June 11th, 2013, 3:18 pm

B.
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

hawglips

Postby hawglips » June 27th, 2013, 6:21 am

This is always an interesting topic.

Another part of the dilemma is put in a nutshell with a statement in Clark's article that says:

"From the earliest days, 40 yards was established to be the furthest an ethical hunter should shoot ..."

Obviously, 40 yards in the earliest days, with the shells used then, was pushing the envelope, with a much higher chance of crippling the bird than, say, taking a 50 yard shot today my 28 gauge and handloads with the high density shot. So, 40 yards is an arbitrary number, nothing more, and should never be considered the standard. It was too far to ethically shoot at a turkey back in the earliest days, and it's too far to ethically shoot today, if someone is still using a gun/choke/ammo combination reminiscent of those days.

An ethical turkey hunter will know the limitations of gun/choke/ammo combination, and his own shooting ability, and will stay within them. Any other arbitrary standard is just that, an arbitrary standard. If someone chooses to shoot far less than the kill-them-every-time-at-that-range limitations of their own setup, that is a choice, nothing more, and shouldn't pretend that the arbitrary standard is the standard that determine one's ethics. We all choose how much or how little we want to handicap ourselves in the turkey woods, and that shouldn't be confused with ethics.

Traditional turkey hunting (locating, setting up on, and calling them into shotgun range) has always been a call-them-in-close type game, and should remain so, IMO. But I'm a traditional style hunte, and am speaking from that perspective. But "close" is in the eye of the beholder, and since very few hunters can actually tell exactly how far a turkey is out there, the ethical hunter will have plenty of cushion built into his setup to make sure any turkey he shoots at is humanely dispatched.

There are other much more ethically questionable trends, IMO, that threaten the very nature of the sport. With the recent explosion in the use of blinds and decoys, traditional turkey hunting is on the way out, and the skills required to successfully kill turkeys the traditional way are endangered, it seems to me. But that's another topic....

dewey

Postby dewey » July 1st, 2013, 3:37 pm

hawglips wrote:This is always an interesting topic.

Another part of the dilemma is put in a nutshell with a statement in Clark's article that says:

"From the earliest days, 40 yards was established to be the furthest an ethical hunter should shoot ..."

Obviously, 40 yards in the earliest days, with the shells used then, was pushing the envelope, with a much higher chance of crippling the bird than, say, taking a 50 yard shot today my 28 gauge and handloads with the high density shot. So, 40 yards is an arbitrary number, nothing more, and should never be considered the standard. It was too far to ethically shoot at a turkey back in the earliest days, and it's too far to ethically shoot today, if someone is still using a gun/choke/ammo combination reminiscent of those days.

An ethical turkey hunter will know the limitations of gun/choke/ammo combination, and his own shooting ability, and will stay within them. Any other arbitrary standard is just that, an arbitrary standard. If someone chooses to shoot far less than the kill-them-every-time-at-that-range limitations of their own setup, that is a choice, nothing more, and shouldn't pretend that the arbitrary standard is the standard that determine one's ethics. We all choose how much or how little we want to handicap ourselves in the turkey woods, and that shouldn't be confused with ethics.

Traditional turkey hunting (locating, setting up on, and calling them into shotgun range) has always been a call-them-in-close type game, and should remain so, IMO. But I'm a traditional style hunte, and am speaking from that perspective. But "close" is in the eye of the beholder, and since very few hunters can actually tell exactly how far a turkey is out there, the ethical hunter will have plenty of cushion built into his setup to make sure any turkey he shoots at is humanely dispatched.

Great post and I agree 100%!!!!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion