SD PRAIRIE HUNT RE CAP

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

SD PRAIRIE HUNT RE CAP

Postby turkey junky » June 3rd, 2013, 4:10 pm

just trying to post a SD prairie hunt re cap for the 3rd time guys so ill be short & if this works ill post more of the story its piss n me off that ive typed like pages of words now & it never lets me post???

any way guys went out west to a new state & new area i didnt want to compete with all the hunters in the black hills region of SD so we choose a good prairie unit to try for our 1st SD turkey hunt... i also really wanted to find a area of the prairie units wear i could harvest a snow white merriams that actually put out a decent spur over a inch witch is hard to find in the rock covered black hills so we hit the prairie in search of long spurs & white tail fans...

MAY 14: after meeting some hunters from baton rouge LA at the 1st public land spot we choose to scout we let them have that area & got up early to drive to a new area at 1st lite as we pull up we see a struter & needless to say we didnt need to look any farther for a spot to hunt... long story short by 7:30 a.m. on the 1st day ever in SD me & my dad both had longbeards down on the ground & back at the van!!! it was the hottest day i have ever hunted turkeys i think? it was 94 degrees that day lucky we had turkeys by 7:30 a.m. my dad ended up get n a bird on 1 side of the road after we drove by them birds ran off into that dry creek bottom & my dad kinda buggered a few from the van so i let him go after them & his 2 call on his box call had a kamikaze bird running into his gun!!! my bird was shot just across the road from his bird & i walked up on the birds after seeing turkeys cross the road near wear we seen that tom strutt n from the road as we drove in so i did a big end around & cut them birds off as soon as i got to wear i wanted to be a hen came flying up the creek i figure my dad scared the hen once he hit the road after shooting his bird? i had my box calls rubber band off at that time & leaned against a tree to let things calm down & when i leaned against the tree my box call purred & i swear to god 2 hens came cluck n up to me 35-40 yards out on the cattle trail i was walking on the seen me & ran directly away from but not real fast just got out my way so as soon as i seen them leave i got my gun ready & watched to see if a tom was following well it was my lucky day as they did have a turkey with a huge red white & blue head following them i seen him & dropped my box call as it hit the ground the tom stopped & spun back around 180 degrees & stood there i already had my gun on him but could not see a beard i yelped 3 times & he spun back towards the hens & then i seen his beard & got my head on stock he must of seen something cuz he spun around again facing wear he came from & that was his last move i shot him at like 48-52 steps...

i headed back towards the road after i got my bird & seen my dad birdless so i ran over to him & got all sweaty doing so he said at least you didnt miss urs & he had me fooled untill we got to the van & he said lets go get my bird!!! 2 dead toms on the ground by 7:30 a.m. what a great 1st day in the SD prairie!!!

the only buzz kill was the color of our turkeys we were told by 2-3 wildlife biologist for the area that there was only MERRIAMS in that region well sorry guys they are dead ass wrong the birds are mostly dark RIO GRANDE color a dark rio at best my dads bird was lite color merriams looking but had a big dark color patch in the fan like my RIO GRANDE looking bird my dads bird was like a early hatch from last yr? it had jake like spurs weighed 18-19 pounds & had a 7 inch beard but full fan & full roll gobble??? my bird was DARK RIO GRANDE color 10 inch beard 3/4 spurs 22-23 pounds heavy heavy bird for the prairie i guess???

MAY 15: was a 96 degree wasted hunt day we went looking for a new area & found it way late when it was to hot for me to want to walk a mile into the good looking habitat so we went back to the killing field of the day B4 what do you know there was another hunter parked at our spot so we went a mile of farther down the road & went in on the other side of road from that guy... after i worked a turkey for about 45 min i herd it get close to that truck & then boom i herd a shot after we meet back at the van we drove over to that guys spot to look for feather wear his truck was parked no feathers so??? any way we stayed there that nite & tried to roost some bird with no luck??? maybe it was the guy driveing up & down the road with his gobble shaker call & coyote howler trying to get birds to gobble??? after we talked to that guy he said you dont have to worry about me comeing in ontop of you tomarrow so we said thanks much...

MAY 16: well that guy was still driveing up & down the road at sun up??? so me and the old man took off looking for a vocal bird no luck that morning we did after 45 min of walking see a breeding flock of birds & maid a huge end around on them & set up to call with in no time i had hens working to the call i was kee kee running them in then i herd a bird gobble about 100-150 yards out & after he would not budge & work to my calls i gobbled back at him 2 times after he gobbled then i excited hen yelped at my gobble 2 birds then doubled gobbled from 100-150 yards out then went quit next time they gobbled they were with in 70 yards hens were walking around & it was really get n good then a bunch of cattle came running through our set up? then i herd it a guy with a crow call CAW CAW CAW then closer CAW CAW CAW then i herd foot steps it was the guy that was driveing up & down the road sneaking into my calls & i S*** you not the guy & his 2 kids were sneaking around trying to spot & stalk turkeys in street clothes the dad had car heart pants & a gray coat the next in line looked like a skater blue jeans blue coat & black & blue hat like you see on guys in rap videos bill all strait & the youngest kid was wearing blue jeans & a fire engine red sweat shirt!!! i was shocked!!! i got there attenction & they waved & sat down i looked at my dad & he was angery i looked back at the guy & he was back to trying to sneak on the birds? i ran over to him & said hey man you know we are working these birds? he said oh there is turkeys here? i said you know you herd them & snuck past our van to come ontop of us thats why we talked last nite bro!!! he just looked at me stupid & i said you know turkeys see color & walked off i wanted to say more but the kids stoped that... could not bealeave that damn guy!!! any way after 5 other sets ups & 1 encounter with a strut n hen we finely got on a gobbler & after we followed him around a dry creek bed for awhile we finely got him to come take a peek at the loud mouth hen & my dad was up front in shooting position & i was sit n back a little to watch the back door & try to make the gobbler think the hen was following him & just down in the dry creek bed he cam from it worked like a charm & after a few calls on the box & a few gobbles thrown at that gobbler when he slowed up he was in my dad face then flop n on the ground!!! 3 birds in 3 days hunting in a new state man we were amped up especially after that YAHOO came in ontop of our turkeys & buggered them up!!! that turkeys was also RIO GRANDE looking we will see in the pics if my man DEWEY will help me post them that the birds are totally different looking from one another we were in such a hurry due to the rain that started after my dad shot his bird & pick n up camp that we didnt get a pic of that last SD prairie gobbler but it was exactly like my gobbler dark RIO color 3/4 spurs 22-23 pound but he had a merriams beard almost no beard like 35-30 strands & 7 inch long wimpy beard lol

then to top it off on our way back to out van i seen a truck parked 150-200 yards away from our van & on top a hill then we creasted a hill & i seen a guy run out pick up decoys then run off into a creek? i was already hot & sweaty carrying my dad bird back so i wanted to see what that was about & i ended up catching up to the guys B4 they got to the creek when i walked up it was a teenage kid & a fat dad the dad took a big dip of chew & looked at me very mad looking & said SUP! i laughed out loud at him & said good morning fellas i then asked hey was that green mini van still parked down the way when you pulled in they said i think it was? i know it was as my dad & i were together after he said i think it was i said & you guys still came in ontop of us hunting??? he said i thought we were parked far enough away? & you are parked way down that way? i replied is this not a walk in area? & not everybody hunts write next to there car!!! i also said its just common courtesy to hunt else wear when you see a car already parked at ur spot... & then i walked off... "the day prior when i herd the gun shot i seen that same truck parked nearby & when we looked for the turkey death feathers wear his truck was parked there was mcdonalds rappers & napkins left all over the area that i cleaned up" thats 1 reason i had words with that guy he was not going to leave that creek bed even if other hunters were in there hunting thats why he parked wear he was what a game hog AHOLE litter bug of course he was a SD resident!!!

after the 2 groups of guys coming ontop of us & rainy weather that turns them road to gumbo we decided to leave the SD prairie unit on a high note & just head back home!!! the weather was forcasting 80 & rainy for the next 3 days & with that amount of hunter activity on a tue-thurs we thought it would be best to just get the hell out of that area plus the turkeys were HYBRID/MUTTS so we pointed the van back east on I-90 & called the hunt early...

i will try to get the pics posted ASAP like i said my man DEWEY may help me out again & post them pics for me like i said i only got pics of our 1st day double didnt get 1 of my dads last bird in SD... i guess if we want snow white merriams we have to hunt the SD BHs next yr a guys???

Steve_In

Re: SD PRAIRIE HUNT RE CAP

Postby Steve_In » June 3rd, 2013, 6:01 pm

Good hunt TJ.
I have had post wiped out because it took too much time to write them. If I know it will be a long post I do it in Word and save it. I then copy it and paste it into a post.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

dewey

Postby dewey » June 3rd, 2013, 9:37 pm

Congratulations to you and your dad for getting 3 gobblers on your first hunt in a new area as that is not easy to do. I would be happy to help you post your pictures just send me the pictures. I have had the problem of posts not working so when I create a very long post I make sure to copy it and then if it doesn't work I create a new post then paste the copied information into that post.

I can't believe the littering...especially from another hunter.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 4th, 2013, 1:23 pm

yes that guy was just a ASS pure & simple a selfish selfish guy didnt care about littering didnt care about other hunters it was just all about him!!! i didnt even yell at him about the litter i should have!!!

its that way in oklahoma wear i hunt we gave the areas we hunt names like TRASH HILL & the JUNK PILE & CAR CREEK the names sum up the area 1 area we hunt is a nice hill with about 50 yrs worth of cans/bottles & shot gun shells the car creek area is a nice cottonwood creek with a bunch of old cars dumped into the creek on a bend its dry there now but its just looks bad to see!!! i mean even the state workers are kinda lazy they leave rolls of old fence just off the dirt road to get in? 5 min they could throw it in there truck & be done with it but thats to much work??? there is also a bunch of oil & gas rigs all around the area so that looks bad & them workers litter all over the place also so its a sad thing to see the WMA that trashy ive never seen anything like it in any other state maybe once in florida i seen a load of trash on a WMA that was write next to a HI WAY there was trash all on the hi way side of the WMA...

we always pick up others trash while out hunting but it still sucks to see trash all over a beautiful peace of land!!!

dewey

Postby dewey » June 4th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Here are some pictures from turkeyjunky's South Dakota turkey hunting trip.

There is quite the color difference between those two turkeys.

Photo-0188 (Copy).jpg
Photo-0188 (Copy).jpg (347.57 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Great season for you and your dad TJ!

Photo-0187 (Copy).jpg
Photo-0187 (Copy).jpg (327.19 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 4th, 2013, 9:13 pm

thanks again dewey for the help with the pics... yes them turkeys looked way different my dads 2nd gobbler was just like my bird the darker more RIO GRANDE looking turkey of the 2 his bird was just as big but had a wimpy 25-30 strand beard... his bird the more MERRIAMS looking turkey of the 2 already had the beard removed B4 i took this pic but he had a nice little thick 7 inch beard but had jake spurs??? he had the smallest spurs ive ever seen on a full fanned turkey??? there is not much in the way of rock to blunt his spurs on out in that prairie country so we figured he was a early hatched bird from last yr???

again i was told by 2-3 SD wildlife biologist that them turkeys in the unit i will be hunting are MERRIAMS & i was way away from the MO river breaks wear HYBRIDS are common??? we shot 2 that were the darker RIO GRANDE looking birds & 1 that looked some what like a MERRIAMS id even call that bird a HYBRID but he did have a merriams gobble you could hear the difference in the gobblers in that area the deep deep gobble came from the darker gobbler & the higher pitched more choppy merriams gobble came from the lighter more white turkeys...

the only real plus in hunting that unit for us guys is that its about 2 hours closer then our KS rRIO GRANDE hunting spots so if i really want a RIO ill just head to the SD prairie unit & if i want a MERRIAMS ill head to the black hills im thinking ill do that next season??? but i didnt like the hunter pressure or ethics in that unit that was a real downer!!! but it still was a great 1st ever hunt in SD...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 5th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Nice story and some good looking birds TJ. Congrats to you and your father :D

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion