Seven Minutes of Seperation

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Treerooster

Seven Minutes of Seperation

Postby Treerooster » June 4th, 2013, 3:45 pm

It had been a tough hunt. I was in N Wis and it was the last day of the 5th season. Wis has six one-week long seasons, a tag is only good for a 7 day period and I had 2 in my pocket that would expire at sunset. I had not worked a bird the previous 6 days. The birds had been pretty stingy with the gobbles.

At dawn I parked just off a logging road and listened. There was a faint gobble to the east. I turned and faced that way and heard another to confirm. Immediately I started down the road at a quick pace. After about 400 yards I stopped and heard another gobble. I was still a ways away so I kept up my pace. As I got closer I could hear him gobbling while still moving and this guy was gobbling good for a change.

When I got even with the bird he was about 200 yards North of the old logging road. I only moved in about 20 yards and set up. The birds used that road, plus the tree canopy was still pretty thin and I didn’t want to spook him.

I used my Frictionwood caller with some soft yelps and clucks. He answered my calls and even gobbled in between. He was hot! After a few minutes I could tell by his gobbling he was on the ground now and moving left & right, but not gaining any ground. At one point I thought I heard a faint gobble way to the south. I kept working him with soft calling for about 15 minutes but he wouldn’t move. Now I know I have a gobbler to the south as he is coming closer and I can hear him for sure.

Then the north bird’s gobble sounded a little further away…and the next gobble confirmed he was moving off. I picked up my box call and hit him with 15 to 20 loud yelps. I wasn’t going to lose this bird after so long with no turkey interaction. The south bird let out another gobble and he was getting closer but still a ways off. The north bird gobbled again from about his original position then the next gobble was closer then he had ever been. He was coming and I got on the gun. The south bird gobbled and I am pretty sure he is on the old logging road but still a ways east of me, maybe 250 yards.

The north bird gobbled again but he is moving to much to my left. Not good as I am a lefty and there were some blowdowns that direction. I made a couple more clucks on the Frictionwood caller and got back on the gun. The south bird gobbled and I figure he is on the logging road and about 150 yards to the east of me.

Now I am in a situation I have never been in before. I got all my senses concentrated on the gobbler coming from the north and my right ear straining to hear drumming from the east. Then I see that light bulb head moving through the woods at about 30 yards. The “south” bird that is east of me on the road gobbles about 100 yards away. I could have shot the north bird at 25 yards but instead of moving my gun I let him walk in front of it. Nailed him at 18 yards.

For a split second I was indecisive. Should I reload first (I shoot a single shot) or start in with the fighting purrs. Then my instinct kicks in and something inside me yells “Don’t Think…DO” so I reload and grab the Frictionwood caller. The fighting purrs fit right in with the flopping of the north bird. I kept calling for about a minute then shift to the right a bit and get on the gun. In a minute or so I see some heads coming down the old road. A jake is in the lead but he holds up to let the tom go ahead. At 28 yards I let the tom have it. Three other birds took off at the shot and I think they were all jakes.

I looked at my watch when I killed the first bird (a habit I have) and then the second bird and only 7 minutes had elapsed. I just sat there in awe. I had gone from almost no turkey action for 6 days to 2 birds down in 7 minutes. I had killed a few doubles before but always birds that came in from the same flock. This was the first time I had 2 gobblers converge on me from different directions at almost the same time. As I punched those 2 tags I couldn’t believe it. I had almost started to heat the water for the soup.

Later I GPS’ed the location of where I thought the north bird roosted and when I got back to where I first heard him it was .52 miles to the roost.

The double.

I just like this pic.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Steve_In

Re: Seven Minutes of Seperation

Postby Steve_In » June 4th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Good job. Your post gets my vote for best story. Both pictures are great.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 4th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Great hunt Gary ;) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » June 4th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Great job on the two gobblers tree! Good looking picture of you and the two gobblers hanging behind you.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

maineute

Postby maineute » June 5th, 2013, 1:15 am

Some day I will get a picture of me with two birds, one in each hand. Great story. Congratulations!

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » June 5th, 2013, 9:04 am

wow. had to be some serious heart-pounding goin on workin two toms at the same time.
what a great way to end the season.
great read, too

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » June 5th, 2013, 9:42 am

Now that is truly a REAL Turkey hunting story, certainly one you (and most who read it) will not soon forget. I got excited just reading it- must have been wild playing it out. Congratulations, great birds!

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 5th, 2013, 2:15 pm

the feeling you had 8 minutes after the 1st turkey was flop n on the ground is what i hunt turkeys 4!!! i feel you having 6 days of nothing then 1 flash hunt & everything is changed & you went from the bottom to the top & are on cloud 9... that pretty much sums up turkey hunting many many long hours/min of nothing then a mad rush & a few min later your in the game again...

great story... did you hunt any other states this season other then WI treerooster???
Last edited by turkey junky on June 6th, 2013, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 5th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Great story and pictures Tree. Way to go on pulling off the double!

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » June 6th, 2013, 12:59 am

turkey junky wrote:did you hunt any other states this season other then WI treerooster???

Yes, I hunted CO, KS, NE, and MT along with Wis.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion