Demise of Turkey and Turkey Hunting?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Hookspur

Demise of Turkey and Turkey Hunting?

Postby Hookspur » May 28th, 2013, 4:13 pm

So I get a magazine in the mail yesterday (Deer and Deer Hunting), with a note attached to say that Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine will no longer be published, and the balance of my subscription will be applied to this "other" magazine by the same publishers. What?!?! This is the first I'd heard of T & T Hunting going under, and since I've been with 'em since their very inception, I am kinda sad about it. What happened? I can't hardly believe the interest isn't there.......

boxcall

Re: Demise of Turkey and Turkey Hunting?

Postby boxcall » May 28th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Hookspur,

I don't think anyone could be more devistated by the demise of T&TH than me! ...... JIm Casada tells me that I am the only person he knows of who has all issues of Turkey, Turkey Hunter, & Turkey & Turkey Hunting in his collection, and Jim is the Authority! We can only hope that this is a "blip", and a magazine will appear to carry on with the special thirst that turkey hunters have for a magazine devoted to them & their wonderful adversary!

Boxcall

Hookspur

Postby Hookspur » May 28th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Hey Boxcall;

I also own every issue of those magazines, as well as a complete set of Turkey Call and just about every other magazine or book ever published on turkey hunting. I am very, very surprised by this turn of events....never saw it coming, either!

Doc

maineute

Postby maineute » May 28th, 2013, 11:19 pm

hook spur can you recomend another turkey hunting magazine?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 29th, 2013, 8:38 am

maineute wrote:hook spur can you recomend another turkey hunting magazine?

There was only two devoted to turkeys, T&TH and Turkey Call. The rest of the magazines only cover a story or two seasonal. That is why the lose of T&TH is a huge lose to turkey hunters for any infomation about turkeys. It was one of the few magazines that covered articles with info about the birds and How To's without being covered up with advertisements about having to use a certain product to do something. Strategies and techniques are what set T&TH apart from the others magazines.

Just like it's what sets this site apart from the other sites. You can get good info from serious turkey hunters without having to put up with all the BS that goes on at the other sites. It's great that hunters share info and techniques with other hunters, and ask questions, no matter how simple you think they are, but it helps give you a few other ideas and ways to try something. It's an important tool to keep in your bag of tricks to help get you that old gobbler. Keep up the good work guys and lets keep this site going for all to get info from.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » May 29th, 2013, 10:35 am

Here are a couple of thread about the demise of T&TH magazine.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18572

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18571

Brian has stated, if I recall correctly, that the forum is not going any where. I hope they can continue some sort of digital copy because like WRC said that the T&TH magazine was great for strategies, how to articles and great at talking about very in depth turkey hunting information.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 4th, 2013, 1:38 pm

i wouldnt even really call turkey call/turkey country a turkey magazine its more like a magazine to help get women & young people out hunting now & a how to on how to make wood duck houses & or pigeon traps ETC... they will only have maybe 1 article each issue that is all about turkey hunting or a turkey hunting story... all the rest is pics of NWTF chapter events & kids winning things they do have a picture section each issue i do like looking at the pics of the turkeys on the ground i really like when they have a dark color turkey looking like a eastern & call it a merriams from NE but hands down T&TH was a much much better turkey hunting magazine turkey call is really lame there yearly spring/fall hunting for cast is 1 reason i do still get the mag plus they keep sending them to you if your a NWTF member so i read them...

anybody else remember the magazine TURKEY HUNTING STRATEGIES i think it last ran in 2006-2007 that was also a great magazine to read all about turkey hunting but they had a bad tendency to name drop exact towns & public lands all over the country it helped me find a few spots back in the day... sad to see another turkey mag gone for good!!! now what magazine do we have to read!!!??? not a damn thing worth reading!!!

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » June 4th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I have an idea maybe Bobby Parks and GranSlam might need to look into putting out a mag.Just a Suggestion. There is a void in the market.

Kevin

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion