Back from SD

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

Re: Back from SD

Postby turkey junky » June 3rd, 2013, 4:07 pm

birds were still henned up & happy as of MAY 20 in NE & MN so i assume there was still some major breeding flocks working in the hills when you were there gopher them loud mouth gobblers finely called in some hens B4 you got there??? there were roads that were inaccessible that late in MAY??? rain??? i never rule out hunter pressure lol it takes turkeys a few days to figure out that all that gobbling is not attracting the girls like it did a WK or so ago then they move on looking for more girls in my experience there not like easterns out west they move there roost around depending on what ever there reason is to move???

i guess after hunting in cold early season weather this season id rather hunt the black hills area early on in the yr when they are most vocal & grouped up & more predictable in there daily routine then after they have all split up & spread out in them hills like i said thats just a massive area to try to wonder around & try & work birds & when them birds are all spread out there is a lot of walking in-between callable birds??? id rather fight the weather & large flocks & be on birds daily then have to find a needle in a haystack after they quit back down & spread out threw the hills i guess??? like i said B4 im not a fan of huge woods hunting so i need them birds as vocal as possible when im hunting lol

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 3rd, 2013, 6:42 pm

Typically there is plenty of gobbling throughout May and into June in the hills. This was the quietest 3 days I have spent out there. Just a midseason lull that happened a month later than it usually does. Birds were gobbling heavily the week prior, and again the week after I was out there. They got over 40" of snow out there in April, basically reset the spring.

turkey junky wrote: inaccessible that late in MAY??? rain???

No rain, snow. at altitude there were still areas we could not get into as the roads had 2ft+ of snow the week of May 10th. It was bizarre seeing snow in shaded areas in the 90 degree heat.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 3rd, 2013, 8:59 pm

i seen snow well into june in MT & it was 85 degrees for the hole wk B4 i got there we hit roads that were 2-3 ft deep & covered in snow if the roads were in the shade the were inpassable wear the sun hit there would be grass growing then in the shade snow??? we fished at a like that was full of snow run off & were catching bull trout & cut throat trout on the warm side of the lake across the lake there was ice on the shore & snow on our side of the lake it was green grass & we were in T shirts lol it was crazy up in the rockys 40 degree temp changes from day to night...

i understand there is 2 peaks of gobbling early season then once then hens start sit n in early may most yrs but id still rather hunt birds that have never been shot at or called to that season then hunt everybodys left overs come late season in heavy hunted areas like the black hills SD or WY its plan & simple the black hills is on way to many guys must hunt list each season many dumb dumbs really dont think of any place other then the SD black hills to go hunt merriams thats just not my kind of place to hunt i guess??? not to mention its to damn EZ for people to go to the black hills to hunt lodging damn near every place in the form of NF camps private campsites hotels & rental homes ETC. & roads all over the place i like areas that are off the beaten path its hard to get off the beaten path in a place like the black hills same goes for certin parts of NE you will be in the middle of what you think is no wear & find a set up tree & see all the limbs cut off by a fellow turkey hunter with a nipperthat was there long B4 you ever got there... i like to hunt in places i feel like not many others have set foot i guess???

that being said it does not mean that the black hills are not a beautiful place to spend a wk hunting its just really had the hand of man change the area for a long time ever since the gold rush days there has been guys wondering around them hills messing with things lol

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion