Back from SD

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gopherlongbeards

Back from SD

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 15th, 2013, 10:11 am

Well just got back from SD, and no bird for me. It was a great trip, but hunting was tough, probably the slowest I've ever had out there. Birds had been going crazy all last week, and we had high expectations when I rolled into town on Friday. Sure enough , We gave one a dirtnap within an hour of hunting Saturday AM, but that was the last gobble we heard after flydown in 3 days. It wasn't from lack of effort, we hunted from Spearfish to Keystone and everywhere in between. Put 60 odd miles on our boots in 3 days with nothing to show for it. The weather was perfect, warm with low winds. You could hear birds miles away, they just weren't talking. It was a cooker on Monday, 92 degrees. Finally found a couple cooperative birds in the foothills on Monday evening and roosted them for the morning hunt on Tuesday. I got close but no cigar Tuesday AM, and I had to quit hunting by 8:00 AM with the 10 hr drive home looming. I had to walk out of the woods with two hot gobbling birds hung up at 150 yards hammering all the way back to the truck, which was a bummer. I've never seen birds over such a large area go from red hot to absolutely dead in such a short time

dewey

Re: Back from SD

Postby dewey » May 15th, 2013, 10:23 am

Sorry to hear about the lack of cooperative turkeys Gopher but it doesn't sound like it wasn't for a lack of effort. That is the worst as you know you have to leave but yet you know they are up there virtually taunting you.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 15th, 2013, 3:35 pm

yeah thats a bummer, turkeys can be pains at times, for sure, but sounds like a good time, and hopefully you can return for a little retribution.....
David

You never know, unless you go

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 15th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Sorry to hear you had a rough time in SD, but sometimes the turkeys win and sometimes we do. :|
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 15th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, it was a great time. I got to walk some gorgeous country that I hadn't seen before and case out some prime looking areas for future seasons. I think the turkeys win more often than we do Scott, at least in my case :lol:

AT Hiker

Postby AT Hiker » June 3rd, 2013, 7:03 am

I am ready to hit the Hills again next Spring, although my hunt almost mirrored yours it is still a beautiful place to be. A few locals I talked to out there also stated it was an off season for them, wonder how the WY Hills faired out?

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 3rd, 2013, 12:56 pm

the WY side has way way less turkeys then the SD side of the BH im told by fellow hunters & wildlife biologist in SD/WY... the area near summit peak or ridge cabin gets booked up by early february each yr & many NWTF biologist & SD/WY biologist pump doing the 2 state hunt from there heavy when or if you talk to them by phone... maybe that was why the hunting was so hard late season in the SD BH??? im sure a load of hunters had been through the area prior to mid may...

all the locals my brother talked to said there are plenty of turkeys around & if you know how to hunt you should get a bird this yr even in snow??? i doubt they were real hardcore turkey hunters i mean if you see turkeys at your bird feeder each day id bet you think get n a turkey in the BH is EZ also... lol the birds in the hills learn to live with people aka ranchers/horse & cattle ranchers near homes & near BZ hi ways they all just dont live up in the HI HI ponderosa pine hills or remote creek bottoms i guess...

my brother went out to the SD BH for the 1st time ever & was covered up with turkeys from day 1 he went during the 2nd WK i think? when they got 16 inches of snow in early april he seen tons of birds early season & they were gobbling even just after the heavy snow fall??? he ended up missing a huge tom then the next day he got a jake... hes planing on going back next april for the opener i mite tag along???

there is some past storys of WY hunts from last season & the hunters were saying turkeys were down like 80% from other yrs???

i have hunted SD B4 just not the BH so i think i will do a WY/SD hunt next april start in SD then jump to WY once we get turkeys or after my brother has to go back home???

i never used to like hunting in bad weather well i still dont but i have to addmit that i hate hunting hush mouth heavy pressured gobblers way more so i will have to take the chance of bad snowey weather out in the hills next yr & hunt SD/WY on the opening WK-ENDs??? i know there is millions of acres of BH forest to roam but guys in trucks & ATVs look for them huge areas to roam & drive around best bet is to find a local population of turkeys in a area they like to hang & dig in like a tick & learn the birds daily habits VS driving around hours of back roads & yelping out the car windows & constantly running & gunning & covering huge amounts of un productive land... my brother bumped into 4-5 guys on ATVs that had not seen a turkey in 4 days of driving they said my brother went out & walked the 1st nite he got there & found birds write away its hard to hear a turkey gobble if your on a ATV or have the radio on in a truck lol

AT Hiker

Postby AT Hiker » June 3rd, 2013, 1:46 pm

After I tagged out in the BH I spent 3 days in the Summit Ridge cabin, hiked all three days and did not hear or see a single bird and only 2 other hunters. Granted this was the 2nd to last week of season, local guy I spoke with in that area said he grew up hunting the area and said hunting dropped off when the forest service started renting that cabin...who knows?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 3rd, 2013, 3:49 pm

Hunting pressure wasn't the issue with birds when we were out there TJ, many of the places we hunted had been inaccessible the week before. The birds were just quiet. 2 days before I got out there birds had been waking my friends parents up at the their cabin gobbling at 5 am for weeks. The bird we killed and the two we found the last day sure weren't afraid to make some noise however...

I agree that when you find birds using a particular area habitually that you should stay on them. Doesn't make sense to leave turkeys to find turkeys. The problem is most birds out there aren't nearly as stay at home as their eastern counterparts. Roosts are often only used for a single night. many times if you roost a bird you will have 1 shot at him the next morning before he walks off to parts unknown. He could be 20 miles away by the next morning. There are a few birds that will roost in the same general area throughout the season more like an eastern will, but in my experience these tend to be the birds hitting peoples backyard feeders, a feedlot, or some other unnatural food source. Oftentimes these birds are on ground where they simply aren't huntable.
Last edited by Gopherlongbeards on June 3rd, 2013, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 3rd, 2013, 3:56 pm

yes i have herd the same thing the SD/WY biologist i talked to just give you generic info at best that they have told 50-70 other guys B4 & they all point to that cabin & area of the BH so i bet each season that area gets hit damn hard by hunters & the locals the local method of hunting is drive around & yelp out the window so many many of the dumb kamikaze gobblers in the area get shot in the face fast out there or get educated fast about coming to loud mouth hens... ive seen major NWTF members well guys that you see on NWTF turkey call who work for the NWTF talk & post videos from that area of the BH its not a secret area any longer... thats the major reason i have never hunted the SD BH scared of the amount of hunters that go there every season... well the dumb hunters are the 1s that wreck it for everybody lol the rookie hunters that think all western sub species are stupid & EZ to harvest & wonder around the hills buggering up birds left & write after a few wks of that birds act different much more quit & sneaky they just dont drop everything & run to calls after a few encounters with hunters...

there are areas of the BHs that have plenty of turkeys still & areas that traditionlly hold more birds then other areas just got to dig & find them areas... near that cabin there isnt much in the way of ranches & or wintering grounds for birds got to look at aireal pics & you can rule out many of the bad areas & focus on them deep canyons & draws near ranches... that forest is just to damn big for me to wonder around in the middle i work the edges & then work my way in... turkeys always seem to know wear the property lines are & live write on the edge of them in my experience...

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion