WI. 2013 seasons

dewey

Re: WI. 2013 seasons

Postby dewey » May 28th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Congratulations on the mess of turkeys you harvested Charlie. One of these years I will get back to the land of cheese and possibly hunt with some of you guys.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 30th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Thanks Dewey.
I am blessed with easy access to land nearby and a flexible job that allows me to hunt nearly every morning before the rest of world wakes up. Meaning I get a lot of time to hunt tipping the odds my way a little bit. Plus, I am crazy enough that I was out in all that extreme weather this spring served up.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 2nd, 2013, 12:54 pm

from reports of WI hunters i talked to they were seeing plenty of turkeys just not shooting many??? that seems to fit the 18% harvest rate...??? my dad shot a 21 pound 10 inch bearded 1.1/8 spured WI gobbler with a cross bow this season he was a average bird body fat & weight wise... his bird gobbled very little off the roost & only a few times on way in was 2 toms together he missed 1 & got the 2nd both were identicle looking...

i love spring turkey hunting & hunting new states but i have to disagree with WI offering the ABSOLUTE best turkey hunting the best turkey hunting in the country??? i do agree with WI is the most liberal in issuing tags to hunters & allowing you to harvest ample amounts of gobblers if you want 2 buy many tags but as for opportunity & quality experience im not so sure on that???

i hunted WI last season & had to work my butt off to get a bird my dad not so much butt his bird was a less then 2yr old gobbler it had M&M spurs a thin 7-8 inch beard & was like 18 pounds young dumb bird shot 45 min after we left the car ...

we hunted SW WI supposedly 1 of the most populated turkey areas in the state & near the old WI turkey capital but to me the experience was very much like hunting SE MN bluff/coulee country turkeys & i love doing that hunt for easterns every yr but i have had many great great experiences out west in states like OK KS & NE even if they may not have the same turkey population as WI i feel you see way more turkeys out west if not for any other reason then you can actually see the turkeys out west not so much in the east wear the turkeys use huge woods/swamps & many other thick habitat that keeps them hidden most the time...

i have hunted all across the state of NEBRASKA & it still surprises me on how many turkeys they have in damn near every corner of the state... i mean find a creek with trees & crops & cattle if your lucky & you will hear birds gobble in the morning... i have had great success all on public lands in NE it has to be 1 of my top states hands down 3 birds a season & you can hunt from late march to the end of may liberal season & bag limits crazy amount of turkeys & another world habitat wise from back east in MN & WI i guess for me the pastures are always greener else wear??? my dad still argues with me that MN is best? im not biest so i have to addmit that MN is not best but WI is a great aguement WI has a huge amount of turkeys & tags to be handed out & a good amount of public lands WI is up there in the top 5 turkey hunting states for sure in my book... also for me i grew up hunting easterns & i always rank them white feather sub species states higher then a eastern holding state i can shoot them all the time i have to travel to get a white feather so that adds to the experience for me i love to camp out & hunt turkeys from my camp nothing like doing that out west in the ponderosa pine hills/mtns & or on the western prairies hard to bet that experience in my turkey book...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 5th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Each hunter has their own set of preferences.
WI has a lot of different style hunts available; Big woods, Ag & ranchlands, rivers, lake lands, forests both deciduous and evergreen, swamp lands, steep bluffs which some border on small mountains (call them practice mountains) prairies, and a desert complete with native cactus.
Plus One of the top three largest turkey populations in the nation and one of the lowest priced NR license.
Is there any other state with so much to offer the turkey hunter?
I think not. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 5th, 2013, 2:55 pm

WI dose have the rest of the country beat hands down on the price of a NR turkey tag & the amount of tags you can have in your pocket at any give n time i dont know of any other state wear you could have 10+ tags & shoot 10 birds in the same day like you could in WI for the same price... next would be SD with there liberal prairie unit tags but they are 100 $$$ for 2 tags & you can buy as many as you want or they have available to buy you used to only be able to hold 5 tags in SD not any longer buy as many as you want or they have open after the 3rd draw...

many states have great turkey hunting throughout the entire state a few that come to mind with many types of terrain types to choose to hunt are again OK KS NE SD CO TX IL in many of them states except TX & IL you can hunt deep timbered hollows & ag fields in the east & move west & hunt more open prairie & creek bottom type terrain then head south west & hunt sage/yucca sand hills & cactus or damn near desert type habitat you can hunt wooded rolling hills with lakes & stock ponds abound & or float hunting on major rivers/stream... in all states but KS you can hunt the prairie 1 creek bottom type habitat 1 day then head to the mountains the next day & hunt that terrain the next... SD also provides that same type hunt prairie to the black hills & MO river breaks to AG fields in the east... i mean TX goes from cypress knee swamps in the east to mesquite flats in the west... & has easterns & rios & some merriams/rio hybrids every 1 of them states have cattle ranches/operations & that habitat to choose from to hunt... just got to pick the habitat you want to hunt in what state...

WI is a top notch turkey hunting state no doubt about that at all... but its not the only state that you can hunt that has many terrain types to choose from & in many of these other states you have to trade off the amount of tags you can buy in that state for the fact that there is another sub species there that you dont have at home & many guys travel there to take that sub species so they have to limit the number of tags you can have... in states like WI the hunter numbers are on the decline & most guys dont travel a long ways just to hunt easterns so the demand for the tags is not the same as it is in NE KS SD OK TX thus 1 hunter can buy a load of tags in WI but only have 4 in TX 3 in OK & NE 2 in KS etc... many more out of state hunters hunt them states then they do WI...

id rather hunt WI over many other states due to the turkey populations & liberal tags scheme its deff in the top 5 states for best turkey hunting in my eyes its just that hole only have n easterns thing that puts a few other states B4 it in many rankings... half the country has easterns to hunt the other half of the country is a mix of sub species to hunt i find it hard to travel to a state to hunt easterns i have back at home...

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 8th, 2013, 9:55 pm

dewey wrote: One of these years I will get back to the land of cheese and possibly hunt with some of you guys.

Dewey

You've got an open invite Dewey.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Previous

Return to Wisconsin