WI. 2013 seasons

WillowRidgeCalls

WI. 2013 seasons

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 22nd, 2013, 5:06 am

Well now that the seasons have come to a close, did everybody have a good season here in WI. even with the lousy spring we started out with :?:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: WI. 2013 seasons

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 22nd, 2013, 9:17 am

It sure was a strange spring, went from wearing snow camo to 90 degrees in the same week. I hunted the 3rd season and 6th season in WI. 3rd season was good, lot's of action and a good number of birds around. 6th season was pretty slow. It was hot and/or raining most of the time with very little gobbling. The area I hunt was hit with that early May blizzard during 4th season, and it made quite a mess in the woods. Trees down all over the place from the weight. Hopefully there wasn't too much mortality this winter. April was a bad month for the birds as well, lots of snow and ice.

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » May 23rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

all in all I'd have to say any time in the woods is time well spent. I sure had to work for my birds this year as opposed to past seasons. Learned more this season due to having to sit long spells. Something just didn't click for me this season..... The ones that got really fired up never came all the way in and the 2 I went home with didn't make a gobble at all??? go figure. Caught up on my sleep and now I'm ready for more ....heard gobbles this morning at home in town and felt like I should be in the woods. till next season
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 27th, 2013, 9:01 am

I had some great hunts in Wis this year. I had 2 tags each for 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons and bought an extra 6th season tag while in Wis.

I blew off the 4th season tags due to weather and did not get to Wis until 1:30 am on May 14th.

I filled all my 5th & 6th season tags with 4 toms and a jake.

Two of my hunts were the kind I dream about and another was also very memorable.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 27th, 2013, 10:46 am

Sounds like you had quite the spring in Wi treerooster! any stories about those birds? :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 27th, 2013, 11:21 am

Congrats everybody on your birds this spring. It was an odd spring this year, but the birds were on fire in the areas I hunted. The later seasons where by far the best, but you had to get the toms worked through all the jakes. I can recall at least 8 toms I worked in that were run off by a mob of jakes before I could pull the trigger on them. I saw flocks of jakes everywhere, one bunch had 14 jakes running together in a mob, they had the toms run off into a small woodlot and where keeping them there, as soon as a tom came out into the open and strutted they were after him.
I took 2 good longbeards and a jake this year, I passed on 5 longbeards that I called in and numerous jakes that came in. This fall and next spring are going to be some great times in these WI. woods for birds to work, can't wait till the seasons get here again. I learned a lot from the birds this spring and heard calls that I've never heard from birds before, so it was a great year for me :D .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 27th, 2013, 4:53 pm

As the saying goes "the worst day hunting is better than the best day working" and that pretty well sums up the extremes of the spring 2013 turkey hunting. From 20 inches of May snow to a 90 degree day...
A few images from my season. Old Chinese proverb "a picture is worth a thousand words"

2013 spring turkey typical day.jpg
2013 spring turkey typical day.jpg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 692 times

opening day spring 2013 4th season.jpg
opening day spring 2013 4th season.jpg (84.76 KiB) Viewed 692 times

4th season last minute turkey.jpg
4th season last minute turkey.jpg (85.37 KiB) Viewed 692 times

gobbler willowridge call 2013.jpg
gobbler willowridge call 2013.jpg (98.52 KiB) Viewed 692 times

charlie spring 2013 gobbler.jpg
charlie spring 2013 gobbler.jpg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 692 times

charlie with at the buzzer turkey spring 2013.jpg
charlie with at the buzzer turkey spring 2013.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 692 times

spring 2013 snow gobbler.jpg
spring 2013 snow gobbler.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 692 times

proteective eagle.jpg
This eagle was mad as heck at me for setting up against the tree containing her nest. She continued screaming and swooping at me until I moved off after realizing what the problem was.
proteective eagle.jpg (104.41 KiB) Viewed 692 times

tagged gob at kill site.jpg
tagged gob at kill site.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 692 times

turkey on ranger.jpg
turkey on ranger.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 692 times

As time allows I'll be posting the stories on my blog.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 27th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Sounds like you had quite the spring in Wi treerooster! any stories about those birds? :D

Hope to post a few stories (with pics) when I get some time. Got to catch up with non-turkey life first. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » May 28th, 2013, 11:51 am

Some general observations for my fellow Wisconsin hunters.
The weather — late spring and snowfalls, specifically — was unbelievable. Still, I found gobblers to be very responsive the first two periods ... even if you froze your fingers off while working friction calls.
I was unable to hunt third period because of a long trip and only hunted fourth season sparingly because of another matter. I'd be interested to hear more reports from these weeks.
Turkeys in central Wisconsin seemed to "get right" the last two weeks. Had some great midmorning hunts. Fly-down action was also very good, depending largely on your proximity to a gobbler and how many hens were nearby.
Jakes! Wow, we have jakes. Had a flock of 20 run off a gobbler that was 10 steps from meeting his maker. Then, the most violent turkey fight I've ever witnessed ensued. Needless to say, 20 whips one any day, so off he went. This fall and next spring could be spectacular.
Seemed like quite a variance in gobbler weights this year. (I say "seemed" because I quit weighing my birds years ago.) My second-period turkey was a fat, heavy 2-year-old that looked like a toad. A 2-year-old from the fourth week was very light. Subsequent birds seemed to be average. What'd you guys see?
In all, this year just confirmed to me that Wisconsin offers the absolute best turkey hunting in the country, in terms of bird numbers, quality of the experience and, especially, opportunity. I thought this spring was better than Spring 2012 and as good or better than Spring 2008, which was my previous high-water mark.
Oh, one more truism to take from this season: Don't ever shoot a tree in the company of a guy with a video camera and a Facebook account. You'll never live it down. Trust me.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 28th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Nice pictures Charlie, looking forward to reading the stories as you get them up.

Brian, 3rd season was pretty good here in western Unit 4. Lot's of gobbling and birds moving around. That Saturday AM of 3rd season was the most gobbling (and gunshots, methinks quite a few turkeys were meeting their makers that day) that I heard all year. The bird I took 3rd season was pretty fat, just over 23 lbs. 6th season was much slower. very little for gobbling on the roost and then absolutely silent after fly down. We called in dozens of hens during 6th season, but never had an opportunity on a gobbler, and passed on a couple jakes. Surprising to me all of the 5th and 6th season tags in Zone 4 sold out this year, although I still didn't see any other hunters during 6th season. I'm betting a lot of people with early season tags decided to not hunt in the snow and picked up a surplus late season tag. They went out one morning and didn't hear and gobbling, figured "it's over" and called it a year.

As far as jakes go, I didn't see nearly as many as I had expected to this spring. I was seeing large groups of 10-20 jakes fairly regularly last December towards the end of the fall season, but I only ran into a handful this spring. Hopefully all those April and May ice/snow storms weren't too hard on them. There are plenty of hens around, so hopefully they can pull off another good hatch this spring. I'm already looking forward to the fall season, only 4 months to go!

3rd season was great, and even with the slow (and very wet, my boots still aren't dry yet...) 6th season this year was still better than last year. Since I've only hunted WI the past 2 years, I don't have much else to compare it to.

Next

Return to Wisconsin