Opening Day tomorrow

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Opening Day tomorrow

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 14th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Here is the bird I took for the 5th season. Our 6th and last season starts in the morning. It should be a good morning with light winds and clear skys 58 for morning temps. Hope the birds are still on fire the way they were last week?
Attachments
5-9-13 unit 2-2.jpg
5-9-13 unit 2-2.jpg (117.81 KiB) Viewed 802 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 14th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Nice bird Scott. I wish you the best of luck next week.
Is it turkey season yet?

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » May 15th, 2013, 7:23 am

Great bird scott.All the luck in the morning.

Kevin

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 15th, 2013, 10:29 am

18#
10-1/2" beard
1" spurs
I'll get this adventurous story up later after I get some sleep.
Attachments
5-15-13 unit 2.jpg
5-15-13 unit 2.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 785 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » May 15th, 2013, 11:17 am

congrats, again, scott. you're on a roll!
thats quite the rope on that guy

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 15th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Well it was 8:30 when the power in town went out and I worked from then until 4:00 this morning. Stopped home and grabbed my camo and headed to the woods. I got there at about 5:30, dressed and headed for the hay field. I didn't hear a bird going in, I set up along the edge of the hay field by a bush with my lounger and wrap-a-round blind, and put out my old hen decoy. I was just getting a call out of my vest when a hen came running passed and headed to the other end of the field, then about a minute later two more hens did the same. I thought dang there must be a gobbler up there where the truck is parked? I got out my glass and box call, and sent out a gobble to see if he'd answer? I then switched to my glass and started cuttin hard, then gobbled again, and back to the glass for a series of yelps,( as old people do they talk to themselves, as old turkey hunters do they call to themselves :) ) before I could finish my yelps a jake cut me off with jake yelps right behind me. I knew there was a bunch of jakes running in a group around there, so figure what the heck, work them, I hadn't heard a bird gobble yet. I ran another set of yelps and again was cut off by a jake, soon I could hear him walking as he came up behind me clucking. I caught movement to my right and saw the shaddow of a bird on the inside of my blind, damn he's right behind me. I could hear twigs snapping and leaves rustling as he moved towards the field, then he yelped again and so did his buddy on my left side. I had two jakes behind me, no four jakes, as they walked out to the edge of the hay field, but I could still hear birds behind me? I couldn't move to see what was there with the jakes standing 10 yards to my right. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye to the left as a strutter walked up, then another and another, but I could still hear bird behind me? Two hens joined the strutters and they headed out to my hen decoy as the jakes stood watching, then they headed out into the field. I had 9 birds less than 10 yards of me looking over my hen decoy. I dropped my call and striker and eased my gun to the shoulder to pick a strutter, I put the bead on his noggen and as they started to seperate I picked the biggest strutter out and touched the trigger. The flock ran and flew in all direction as my bird took a dirt nap nose first to the ground. I gathered up my stuff and checked out my bird and was back at the truck by 7:20am. Not sure what made thos e first 3 hens go running across the field with this bunch of turkeys still in the woods?
Got one more tag to fill, so I'm back out tomorrow in unit 3 with my nephew Randy.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DonMcJr

Postby DonMcJr » May 17th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Very cool Scott! Sure wish Michigan had more than one Spring Tag I only get to have that much fun in the Turkey Woods One time every Spring!

The Walleye Fishing is Hot right now though!!! 8-)

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 17th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Scott, it sounds like you had a fun hunt indeed. I hope you and Randy are able to double up when ya go hunting. Can't wait to see the pics.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 20th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Last thurs-sat hunt was tough, the jakes had all the longbeards pushed over on the private land in a small 20 acer woods, there were 6-8 longbeards in that woods and none gobbling on the public at all. We watched 4 longbeards with hens thurs afternoon in a small hay field, the jakes were chasing them around. Friday it rained hard most of the day, but it was the only day the longbeards came over onto the public in the stubble corn to get grubs and worms. Watch the Boss Tom kick the hell out of 4 jakes. As soon as that boss tom started to strut the jakes went after him. They ran full speed to him and hit that bird like a linebacker hits a running back, they knocked that tom over onto his side and 3 of the jakes jumped him. They fought for a bit until the tom could get back to his feet, then he turned on them. He had 1 jake held down by the neck and was giving him hell, the other jake jumped on his back and grabbed him by the head, the third jake was giving him heck from behind. The jake on top suddenly did a summersalt in mid air about 4 feet off the ground landed on his back and took off running, the jake behind him was still holdinng on until that tom kicked him, and drove a spur into his breast, that jake rolled over backwards and tried to get up and run, but couldn't go very far without laying down, then got up and tried to go again, but still could go very far before stopping again. The tom still had the first jake pinned down by the neck and was kicking and stomping that jake. He finally got loose and took off running with the tom close behind. The boss stopped chasing him and came back running for the wounded jake and pinned him down, that jake never moved a mussel as the boss held him down, then let go of him and went after the 4th jake, that was just standing and watching the fight. As the boss got to him he just dropped to the ground and layed his head down and didn't move, the boss circled him, but didn't touch him. The Boss Tom went back to his 2 hens that he came out with and fed in the corn for a while, then went back into the woods. The wounded jake limped off into the woods, I checked the edge to see if I could get him, but couldn't find him in any of the brush piles along the edge? That Boss came by me at about 45 yards and I let him walk, he earned his day of living and would breed more of that toughness into the flock, there were 3 other longbeards still in the field that we tried to work.
We had a boss hen come into our decoys and went striaght to the avianX breeder hen and gave it a good thrashing, pecking at it's head and body and screaming at it. When that hen first came in it started doing the breeding sex purrs then switched to fighting purrs, just like it was telling that breeder hen, your going to wait your turn I'm next, it never went to the feeding hen or the up-right hen at all, just the breeder hen. Randy got it on video off his phone, it's not the greatest video, but the audio is supper. Trying to get it downloaded on youtube, so you guys can hear what the sex purrs sound like, to copy on your calling. Sat there was little gobbling, only 2 birds and they were back deep on the private and only hens in the corn stubble and 2 jakes crossed it. We saw a minumim or 10-15 jakes a day around the public. Still have tomorrow to fill my last tag.
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on May 23rd, 2013, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » May 21st, 2013, 8:35 am

Sounds like you arte having one heck of a season Scott. Good luck filling that last tag!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Team 7