Checking in...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
maineute

Checking in...

Postby maineute » May 17th, 2013, 12:03 am

Just thought I would check in, my life has been really busy. My season started with a friend of mine got permission for us to go up north and hunt on a 350 acre piece of land. We arrived early and scoped it out, roosted some birds, next day watched them fly down. So we set my buddy up in that area to ambush them when they flew down. I set up in the woods near an area where a bird was gobbling for hours. Opening day my friends bird worked as planned, bird came down took 10 steps and it was over, he thought he was going to get busted by a doe that was feeding at 12 yards. He shot a Tom 17 lb 10in beard 7/8 spurs. When he shot everything went quiet, I messed around with a hen and had her give me a lesson in how to call. Never saw another male bird for the rest of the day.
Hunted the next couple of days around my house and then hooked up with another friend of mine. We went to an area where he had been hearing some birds gobling. We snuck in and let the birds start to gobble. He set up on a clear cut, me on the field next to it. I was closer to the birds and was waiting for the birds to fly down and he started to calling, non stop for 20 minutes. They would gobble back. When they hit the ground they took off the other direction and never gobbled again. When we got back to the trucks we found my buddies truck had had 2 windows smashed out. ditrbags.
We made arrangements to go back to the same field a couple days later, on the agreement that I would do the calling and we would sneak in from the other direction and set up about 100 yards from where they were roosted. We made it in about 20 minutes later than I would have liked and set up and waited. The first gobble totally scared me. I had set up 20 yards from the tree where they were roosted, this time there was only one gobbling. I heard a hen start to call and fly down, then another and another .. there was 5 birds on the ground and only 1 was a male I waited 5 minutes or so while I tried to decide if there were beards or not. I took a 15 lb jake home with me.
I am trying to fill my last tag with no luck. I have moved to Mid shift 7 days a week and am only able to get out at 9 and in Maine you can only hunt till 12. I have no idea how to get the turkeys to fire up that late or how to find the birds that late. I am running into hens but am having no luck with the bearded birds. I will keep trying.

dewey

Re: Checking in...

Postby dewey » May 17th, 2013, 1:39 am

That is unbelievable that someone would smash the windows out. Congratulations on the jake and good luck with the limited hunting time you have left.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » May 17th, 2013, 2:10 am

Ridiculous, who would smash out truck windows?? Was anything missing or was it an act of vandalism? I hope Karma smiles on you and you get a big ol' tom for your troubles.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 17th, 2013, 9:51 pm

I got to agree there is no sense what so ever to smash out someones windows.

Dont you hate it when you set up for a bird in the morning and when daylight appears the gobbler is literally sitting beside you or worst above you. :shock: I have had that happen more than once unfortunately. I hope you are able to get boss tom before the season runs out.
Is it turkey season yet?

maineute

Postby maineute » May 17th, 2013, 10:52 pm

The worst part is that the doors were unlocked and I think he leaves the keys between the seats. Nothing was taken. I was parked on the other side of the road, 20 feet away and they did not touch anything of mine. When the cop came he said it was the second one that morning. The other guy had every window smashed out. Dirtbags.
kygobbler wrote:I got to agree there is no sense what so ever to smash out someones windows.

Dont you hate it when you set up for a bird in the morning and when daylight appears the gobbler is literally sitting beside you or worst above you. :shock: I have had that happen more than once unfortunately. I hope you are able to get boss tom before the season runs out.
Honestly as long as you dont get busted I would rather have it this way. When they fly down you get a really good chance to shoot them. I was mostly freaking out because I thought that they were far enough away that I could get away with a little noise and movement. Once he gobbled I slowly looked back at the tree he was in and then never moved another muscle.

I hope to get a Tom also but I am having no luck hunting after they stop gobbling. I have no clue what to do in this situation. I guess it is just like deer hunting then. They arent coming to my calls,

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 18th, 2013, 6:31 am

maineute wrote:I hope to get a Tom also but I am having no luck hunting after they stop gobbling. I have no clue what to do in this situation. I guess it is just like deer hunting then. They arent coming to my calls,

Im assuming that on that 350 acres there is no strut zones that the gobbler(s) like to hang out? Im assuming your season ends June 1 so you have time somewhat on your side even though you can only hunt for 3 hrs. I would try to hunt in the farm in zones to try and figure out where they are. I don't know how the lay of the land is or what it consist of. I would try and set up on a field or as close to one as I could.

350 acres in a way is a lot of land but in another way it is not. You can run and gun the entire property within the 3 hrs but you also run a good chance of boogering every bird there. If you have a good idea on where they are I would set up camp and wait. Good luck.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 18th, 2013, 7:16 pm

If your going in blind and haven't a clue where your birds are, let nature do the work for you. Pick a good set up tree and strat running a lost kee kee, (high pitched and loud 5-8 kee kees non stop) your hens will sound off and so will the gobblers if the hens have alread gone to nest. Pick a good set up tree just in case you need to set up quick, if they are close, if not you can move on them and set up accordingly.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

maineute

Postby maineute » May 18th, 2013, 10:50 pm

kygobbler wrote:Im assuming that on that 350 acres there is no strut zones that the gobbler(s) like to hang out? Im assuming your season ends June 1 so you have time somewhat on your side even though you can only hunt for 3 hrs. I would try to hunt in the farm in zones to try and figure out where they are. I don't know how the lay of the land is or what it consist of. I would try and set up on a field or as close to one as I could.

350 acres in a way is a lot of land but in another way it is not. You can run and gun the entire property within the 3 hrs but you also run a good chance of boogering every bird there. If you have a good idea on where they are I would set up camp and wait. Good luck.
I wish I could still be hunting there, there were a lot of male birds there. It is about 2.5 hours away from me. I am hunting around where I live now. It is mostly wood lots behind peoples houses and the birds are hanging out in peoples backyards, feeding on bird feeders. I hate it because they will stay there all day.

maineute

Postby maineute » May 18th, 2013, 11:39 pm

So i got permission to hunt another piece of property, some people from the church offered to let me hunt there. I went up last night and looked around, set up my blind and went home. I was able to leave work early(mid shift)and went home grabbed my stuff and found myself in the blind by 0405. Around 0440 I heard three distinct gobblers firing off. I knew one was around 300 yards away(bird A) straight ahead, one about 300-350 yards away(bird B) off to my right and one was across a road(bird C), far away. I picked one(bird A) and every third or fourth gobble I would cut him off and call back. He wasn't very fired up at first, gobbling only every 4 or 5 minutes. when he realized I was cutting him off he increased to every minute. I heard a hen behind me, sounded awful and thought another hunter had moved in on me and looked to find a hen behind me in the tree 30-35 yards away. I watched her for a while til she flew down.
After a while of cutting off bird A, the bird to my right(bird B) was getting a little irritated and would cut him off and he (bird A) just stopped. The furthest away bird(bird C) went farther away. The bird to my right(bird B) moved away from me and behind me, He went in the direction that the hen went. The bird I targeted(bird A) moved to my right. So I dumped my blind and moved about 100 yards, grabbed my decoys went in the direction of the bird that I had targeted(bird A). after I set up again I started to call and both birds fired up again(A and B). After 30 mins or so I could tell both were coming but the one behind me(bird B) was coming faster. I had set up on the side of a steep hill and figured if he(bird B) came above me I would never get a shot. So I grabbed my decoys and moved again. About 75 yards in the direction of the bird(B). They were both fired up again(A and B). This time the originally targeted bird(the one I moved away from, bird A) had moved to about 50 yards. But he was at the bottom of the hill. The bird I moved closer to(bird B) went totally silent. I wonder if he saw me?
The targeted bird (bird A) stayed down there for a long time. Gobbling 2-3 times a minute for about 20 minutes. I considered belly crawling to the crest of the hill and trying to get a rushed shot off. I am a big guy and knew I would screw it up so I stayed put. I tried a few gobbles trying to make it think a jake had intercepted his hen. Nothing, would not move or come at all. I then decided to give him some of the softest calls I could come up with, so soft I could barely hear them myself. That fired him up even more. He(bird A) instantly came. He went off to the left but was coming. I finally saw a head through a bush. I gave him another of the quietest calls I have ever made and he errupted and turned, I saw my first glimpse of him in full strut, walking in the brush and went straight for my Jake decoy moving left to right. He went behind a rock I pulled up when he popped out the other side, I gave it to him, at about 15 yards. I ran over to him only to find out that I had shot a Jake....... Oh well, it was about 0715 now, I had had about the funnest 3 hours of my life and I learned a ton. I am not sure what to think about it. I know that there is a large Tom there and it must have been bird B or C. I should have known that when bird B cut him off and he went silent that he was not the dominant bird. I also proabably should have waited to see his fan when he charged the decoy, his beard was below the level of the grass... Oh well I have no more
time to hunt and I am tagged out. I will post pictures later.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 19th, 2013, 12:32 am

Congrats on getting the jake. Its sounds like you had a fun hunt.
Is it turkey season yet?

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion