A crime has been committed

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

A crime has been committed

Postby kygobbler » May 17th, 2013, 6:11 am

I went into my garage the other day and found that one of my turkey capes had been ripped. :twisted: After having a fit and threating to kill every cat that I see. I have finally calmed down and trying to think of a way to possible fix the problem. I thought of using a small strip of hard styrophem and pinning the cape to it and nail it to the wall.

Do any of you have any other ideas on how to fix it. Here is a pic of my poor cape.

mms_img2111713672.jpg
mms_img2111713672.jpg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Gopherlongbeards

Re: A crime has been committed

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 17th, 2013, 8:23 am

A cat cape always makes an attractive wall piece :twisted:

retranger

Postby retranger » May 17th, 2013, 8:34 am

Don't know how you did you cape, looks like most of the feathers have been removed. Do you still have them? Is the tail fan itself damaged? I have done several tail fans but don't dry them in a fan shape like most fellows do. Would be interested in helping you out if I can. :) :)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

dewey

Postby dewey » May 17th, 2013, 9:15 am

Gopherlongbeards wrote:A cat cape always makes an attractive wall piece :twisted:

That is an awful idea, an awfully awesome idea. Good luck with the cat problem and your cape.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » May 17th, 2013, 3:15 pm

I'm going with Gopher on this.

Kevin

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 17th, 2013, 9:32 pm

It looks like it was just ripped into two pieces. I haven't had time yet to see if I can overlap them and make it look ok. I will probably do that Monday or Tuesday due to my work schedule.

retranger wrote:ave done several tail fans but don't dry them in a fan shape like most fellows do. Would be interested in helping you out if I can.

Sir, Im always open to new ideas on how to do stuff. The way I cape out the bird, is after getting cutting all the feathers from his neck down to his tail feathers (all in one piece) I will lay it feathers down on a piece of cardboard. Stretch it out using straight pins to hold it then put a heavy dose of borax on it. Give it 3 or 4 weeks scrape the borax off of it and trim what extra feathers there are on the sides off.

If I remember correctly, when you make a fan dont you pull the feathers out. Then lay them down how you want and glue them together? I knew you did it different but cant remember how you do yours.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 18th, 2013, 8:07 am

I remember sending the instructions to someone on here,,,,must have been you :D :roll: Yes that is how I do it and have a finished fan in about 4 hours instead of having to wait many for the fan to dry. No bugs this way. I have redone fans for folks that just dried them because after a couple years they fall apart.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 18th, 2013, 7:24 pm

If you cape is still soft enough, sew it back together, the same as a taxidermist would.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 19th, 2013, 2:12 am

Scott, I think it might be too hard to due that but I will double check tommorrow and see. Good idea though and who knows I might try it if I can't think of anything else. What do I have to lose, right.

retranger, I remember somebody doing that but I wasn't for sure if it was you or not. If you don't mind and if you have time send the instructions. To be honest with you, I don't know if I was the one whom you sent them to before or not. If so, maybe I can keep these better than the last ones. :lol:

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 25th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Thanks Tim (timbrhuntr) and Doug (retranger) for your suggestions. I used the hot glue gun and it worked out great.

IMG_20130525_174834.jpg
IMG_20130525_174834.jpg (174.13 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion