Roost Gobbling

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
User avatar
ticklishtompro
 
Posts: 322
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 9:36 pm
Location: Sheboygan,Wisconsin

Roost Gobbling

Postby ticklishtompro » May 14th, 2013, 11:18 pm

I am posting this for Scott from Willowridge, but thought you all might like it. This is some video from my hunt this past weekend. It is all footage from while the birds were on the roost. Scott wanted it more for the audio than the video, so I downloaded it in the lowest quality video. The birds were hot that morning, and he wanted it to teach new hunters how to tell what bird to call to instead of just general calling to all the birds. The choice was simple on this hunt, cause the bird that was the closest to us was also the hottest one. Enjoy, I love hearing the gobbles, but not much to watch, and I didn't edit anything out so there is some camera shake and other things I would normally take out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImfvbVD ... tube_gdata
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

User avatar
maineute
 
Posts: 163
Joined: April 28th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby maineute » May 16th, 2013, 2:38 am

Couple questions, Do you always call that much to a bird on the roost? I was taught to call once, maybe twice while the bird is in the tree, you were calling once a minute?
Did this bird come down looking for you?
How far away was he? the other birds that were gobbling?
Did you get em?
Great video, just listening to the gobbling gives me such an adrenaline rush, thanks

User avatar
Gobblerman
 
Posts: 927
Joined: April 8th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby Gobblerman » May 16th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Cool video to listen to gobbling turkeys. And yes, there are some very good lessons to be learned from it. I, too, would be interested in the outcome of this hunt...
Image

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1125
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby charlie elk » May 16th, 2013, 2:23 pm

maineute wrote:Do you always call that much to a bird on the roost?

Interesting question, I didn't think that was a lot of calling compared to the way I call. Depending on the bird or birds I will sometimes call nearly nonstop, not overly loud and not if they can see me. But if I can see the gobbler and he turns away from me I will call until he turns back around. If I can't see him then I try to determine which way he is facing by his sound and call accordingly.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

User avatar
Cut N Run
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 2:32 pm
Location: central North Carolina

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby Cut N Run » May 16th, 2013, 9:26 pm

That was a whole lot more calling than I do if they're still on the roost. I don't even call that much once they get on the ground either. Once they gobble after fly down, I fire up a series of cutts into a few yelps. From there I'll use his response to base how I need to call to him. I learned from the "too little is better than too much" school.

If experience has taught that way of calling works, then go with it. Early on in my turkey hunting career I've had birds stay on the limb and get suspicious when the keep hearing calling from the same area and no hens show or come to them. I'm pretty sure that my calling skill then was not as good as it has become today too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

User avatar
ticklishtompro
 
Posts: 322
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 9:36 pm
Location: Sheboygan,Wisconsin

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby ticklishtompro » May 16th, 2013, 10:54 pm

maineute wrote:Couple questions, Do you always call that much to a bird on the roost? I was taught to call once, maybe twice while the bird is in the tree, you were calling once a minute?
Did this bird come down looking for you?
How far away was he? the other birds that were gobbling?
Did you get em?
Great video, just listening to the gobbling gives me such an adrenaline rush, thanks


Some good questions that you can get many different answers to, depending on who you ask, and none of them are wrong. I gauge how much I call by 2 factors. 1. How hot the bird is, 2. How vocal the hens are or have been. I have lost toms from not calling enough, and some by overcalling. This bird was roosted about 100 yards or less. He did come in and a certain someone(Mr. Lovett) shot a poor defenseless tree. This is the edited video that you can see how it shook out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGwV1f ... tube_gdata

The other birds were further away, with the closest being about 150 yards, or less. The bird that came in was the closest and the hottest. One reason I called more is I hunt this property quite a bit, and usually the hens get quite vocal and have pulled the toms away on several occasions, so a little more aggressive worked that day. Sometimes you will loose a hot bird if you only call a couple times, live and learn.
Gobblerman wrote:Interesting question, I didn't think that was a lot of calling compared to the way I call. Depending on the bird or birds I will sometimes call nearly nonstop, not overly loud and not if they can see me. But if I can see the gobbler and he turns away from me I will call until he turns back around. If I can't see him then I try to determine which way he is facing by his sound and call accordingly.

I agree Charlie. Every bird is different and you have to take their temperature and call according to what they like and respond to.
Last edited by ticklishtompro on May 16th, 2013, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

User avatar
ticklishtompro
 
Posts: 322
Joined: April 19th, 2012, 9:36 pm
Location: Sheboygan,Wisconsin

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby ticklishtompro » May 16th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Here is a pic of the tree he shot!

Here is the set up that killed a bird the next morning, notice the tree!
ResizedImage_1368539034544.jpg
Poor tree
ResizedImage_1368539034544.jpg (308.01 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Attachments
ResizedImage_1368539069088.jpg
Next day set up
ResizedImage_1368539069088.jpg (496.2 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

User avatar
maineute
 
Posts: 163
Joined: April 28th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby maineute » May 16th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Thanks for the reply and the answers to my questions. I understand now that I know what you are dealing with. I have had the hens do the same thing to me, why go to a call whena real deal hot hen is right here.

User avatar
WillowRidgeCalls
 
Posts: 3506
Joined: May 25th, 2009, 4:26 pm
Location: Reeseville Wisconsin

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 18th, 2013, 7:55 pm

charlie elk wrote:
maineute wrote:Do you always call that much to a bird on the roost?

Interesting question, I didn't think that was a lot of calling compared to the way I call. Depending on the bird or birds I will sometimes call nearly nonstop, not overly loud and not if they can see me. But if I can see the gobbler and he turns away from me I will call until he turns back around. If I can't see him then I try to determine which way he is facing by his sound and call accordingly.


I agree with charlie, but it also depends on what calls your using? If I'm just yelping I don't use more that just a couple of yelps, never more that four in a series. If I'm tree pitting, then I'll run non stop for about a minute or more, right though the gobbler gobbling, non stop, and end it with one yelp. It veries on the temp of the bird, time of the year, and what the hens are doing?

I asked Randy to post the gobbling audio to help guys learn how to work a gobbler when there are more than one gobbler in and area. I'll go into that in a seperate post and break it down as to show how to do that and what to do.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

User avatar
maineute
 
Posts: 163
Joined: April 28th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Re: Roost Gobbling

Postby maineute » May 18th, 2013, 10:41 pm

So I tried what I learned here this morning, I could tell a difference. I will post a the story in my thread "checking in"

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests