double barrel

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: double barrel

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 11th, 2009, 5:16 am

Mark, No its my fathers old "bird gun" he hunted quail with it, It was the only gun that survived our house fire when I was a teenager. He liked those old Stevens 5100 and 311 shotguns. I toted a Stevens 311 in .410 bore to the turkey woods when I was 8 years old that was my first turkey season I missed the biggest bearded turkey I have ever seen to this day (the way an 8 year old boy remembers him anyway) at about 10 yards. By the next year I had saved up enough money from selling my hogs to buy a 20ga. pump gun from the Otasco store. I did get one bird killed that season after missing one. The next year I crippled a bird and killed one.The crippled bird didn't set well with me I told my father that if I could help it that I never wanted that to happen again. The little 20ga. pump and the shells of the day to me where mediocre at best for killing turkeys. Being that it was the late 70's the screw in choke guns where none existent in our world other than the wealthy gentleman and there Browning A-5's with there Poly Choke. So back to the Otasco store I go flush with hog money again. I order a turkey killing machine, a Stevens single shot 36" barreled full choked 12 gage "Long Tom". I got a box of Remington NITRO MAG 3" 4's and I was set. I had a rig the killed on one end and maimed on the other. I killed several birds with that gun and then our home burnt to the ground all we had was the clothes on our backs and my fathers bird gun. He just happened to remember it was leaning next to a down stairs window and he was able to knock out the window and grab the old case it was in. It had a little bit of charing on the stock and it had gotten warm enough to unsoldered the barrels. The local gunsmith said it would cost more to resolder the barrels than it was worth. So Dad found another gun and put his stock and forearm on it. It was a Stevens 311 30" full choke and he cut it down to 24" and that removed the front bead he always just quail hunted with it that way. He had the stock made to fit him so the gun pointed where he was looking and he just shouldered it and pulled the trigger. After he passed and I acquired it I had a bead put on it like he was always going to do and just never got around to it. After the house burnt we both got Mossburg 500 for our turkey hunting guns and I currently hunt with a Remington 870. I get the old Stevens out from time to time and hold it and maybe shoulder it a time or two. It brings back lots of memories of times gone by.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 11th, 2009, 11:22 am

i appreciate that line of recollections feller.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 11th, 2009, 11:34 am

You bet Mark glad to get to share a story with you.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 11th, 2009, 1:49 pm

some doubles are really wide at the forend . my gun is not too wide , but it is not what some have called a ''splinter'' forend either. the double lends itself to comfort when i'm sitting on the ground next to a tree . its flat bottom will actually balance easily on my bony knee, without the use of the padded saddle strapped to my leg.
 in the beginning of becoming familiar with the double [ this is my first one ] , i thought i might have some difficulty with 2 triggers . i guess my worries were brought on by the fact that i was never really proficient with a pump action , when it was time to rapidly work the slide and make the follow up shot . but the double has really become part of me to the extent that i really don't have to think about it ,,,somehow it just comes more natural for me.
now i am not knockin the tight choke shooters ,,,,but i like the expressions i see on hunters faces when i tell them i used the modified choke barrel.

''old school turkey tactics''

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 12th, 2009, 4:06 am

I like seeing that several folks are using older guns in the turkey woods. It like a breath of fresh air to me, the older I get the more I long for days gone by it seems. I guess that is just part of the circle we go through as hunters.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion