Any advice ?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Any advice ?

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 11th, 2009, 12:31 pm

As far as finding a turkey roost to me depends on what part of the country you live in. If your in the eastern part of the country with lots of Hardwood or Pine trees you need to just go a listen for the birds to gobble from their roosts two or three mornings in a row you can locate a general area that they like to roost in. If your from the western prairie or southwest state's where the trees are far an few between finding a roost is a lot easier. The birds around my area seem to have several areas they like to roost and make kind of a circuit around and just fly up to whatever one they happen to be close to when the time comes. About every three or four days or so they seem to make it back to the area they started from. If you locate some birds on the roost in the morning try and move in there direction and get a good pin point on there general area if not the specific tree that they are in. Be careful they have excellent eye sight and can pick you out at a very long distance especially if there in a tree. Get in as close as you can and get a bead on the location. After fly down and your relatively sure that they have moved off you can move in for a closer inspection and look for wing feathers and droppings. A lot of the time they will fly up and fly down from the same open spot.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

wordbird

Postby wordbird » March 12th, 2009, 4:21 am

ORIGINAL: younggun379

hey yeah thanks for the info i was just wondering cause i have a good box, diaphram, locater and slates i've been playin around with and i have been really successful locating and attrackting the birds here in the past few days but my biggest thing is findin roosts but i guess those things just come with time.

All great advice above but I'll give you some about what not to do. The area I highlighted above is a no no. Don't call in birds preseason unless you are in a no hunting area. You'll ruin it for yourself or someone else who might hunt the same birds. Good luck.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 12th, 2009, 5:12 am

#1 way to be succesful in turkey hunting especially when you are just beginning is through scouting, you can't do it to much.
Get out there and learn where they are going to a from at different times of the day.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Previous

Return to Strategies