First Hunt recap

Wackostu

First Hunt recap

Postby Wackostu » May 13th, 2013, 8:44 am

Well, my two days of hunting the elusive gobblers is over (OK I still have two days left on my tag...) and all I returned home with is an empty tag, new respect for land and game, and a strong passion for this new endeavor I am undertaking.

The setup should have been perfect. Only I didn't hear any Turkeys. Thursday was beautiful, and learned so much about myself, and hunting. Friday I tried another parcel in the rain and cold and wind, and only made it a few hours but I was out there. I didn't just stay home.

I now know some things that I would have never learned if I didn't go out the way I did. Word of mouth and a quick drive-by is not the same as dedicated scouting to locating a flock. Just because you are there and they were there in the past does not mean they are there now. And your spot could be textbook perfect as Turkey habitat, but if they decide not to be there it doesn't mean a hill of beans. I know that just sitting and observing is an education. Hearing and seeing other wildlife interact is an education in itself. I also learned that the land I was on is going to hold many deer based on all the tracks I was seeing. Something stirred in my soul when I was out there, and to me that made this successful, and I cant wait to go out again......

charlie elk

Re: First Hunt recap

Postby charlie elk » May 13th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Wackostu wrote:Something stirred in my soul when I was out there,

And that stirring will keep you hunting all your days...
Hunting for the stirring again...

Congratulations on a fine hunt and great experience.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 13th, 2013, 4:09 pm

That's what makes turkey hunting so much fun. The more you learn about them the more they teach you. You can never depend on what that bird is going to do, as soon as you think you have a handle on what that bird likes or is going to do, they teach you something completely different. A very humbling bird to hunt :) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » May 13th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Glad to hear that you had a great learning experience in the woods.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 13th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Glad to see that you enjoyed yourself while you were hunting. It's not always about the kill but more of the hunt. If you are able to, go turkey hunting this fall. To me, it can be more exciting than the spring hunt.
Is it turkey season yet?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 15th, 2013, 10:04 am

Sounds like you had a good time Stu, don't worry about not bagging a bird. No matter how long you hunt them turkeys will still humble you on a regular basis. They don't care who you are or how many you've killed before.

Return to Wisconsin