Hunting in the Rain

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Wackostu

Hunting in the Rain

Postby Wackostu » May 8th, 2013, 7:25 am

Based on the forecast today, I will get about two hours in the woods before the rain comes tomorrow. Showers first, storms in the afternoon. I plan on sitting through the AM stuff.

That leads to my question.... Do the Gobblers act differently in the rain? Also, (warning: Noob question ahead) do I need to keep my firearm covered if it rains? Keep it in a sleeve? Wrap the Muffle end?

Thanks for your advice.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Hunting in the Rain

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 8th, 2013, 2:03 pm

It depends on how hard it rains. If it's a light mist the birds respond better to your calling and are a bit more aggressive. If it's a steady rain the birds will only respond for a short time in the morning, then head for cover until it lets up. If it's a hard steady rain your better off waiting until it lets up before you go out. If it's a down pour, stay home until it quits.
No need to cover your gun, you can't shoot it if it's covered. Just wipe it down with some oil before you go out, and make sure you wipe it down inside and out when your finished. There is only two things guns are afraid of, Rust and Politicians.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Hunting in the Rain

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 8th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Willow pretty much covered it. i will add that in a LIGHT rain I tend to see birds out in open areas more often (fields, meadows, small clearings) than in the woods. You can use this to your advantage by setting up and calling in one of these areas. This is also one of the few times I like to use a blind, makes it a lot easier to sit out there if you can get out of the rain. If nothing else rainy days can be a good time to drive around and scout for areas holding birds as they will be much more visible in the fields than in the woods.

Return to Strategies