2nd T&TH Hunt

WillowRidgeCalls

2nd T&TH Hunt

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 5th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Well our 2nd T&TH hunt is finished for the year, with 3 birds out of 5 tags with 1 miss. My nephew Randy took a nice longbeard weds morning at 7:20, and missed another later in the morning. I was over run with jakes all day. I had numerous flocks of jakes come in, I finally got to work a good longbeard late in the morning, and as he was getting close to a dirt nap and flock of 5 jakes ran him off, he only needs about 10 yards before he met his maker, only worked him for about 30 minutes. Thurs Randy's brother Jeff came up to hunt with us, he's a newbie. His darling wife was having a tizimill that he took a day of vocation just to go turkey hunting, she was on his cell about every half hour giving him the what fors and how comes, about his new hunting attitude. Yep he's hooked on turkey huntin. On the 5th time she called him before 6:30am. Is that her again I asked? Mind if I answer it? Randy goes, Oh S/-t and starts laughin. Jeff hands me the phone, Randy's shaken his head. I put on my best camo face, and with spring in my voice, I answer, Hello this is your Uncle SI Willow, Jeff, he's busy at the moment doing a nature call, is there a need I interupted him or can you hold a minute? Tell him this is his wife and he better hurry up cuz I need to talk to him! Jeff your huney say only shake it twice, she need to discuss something with you. I think he had to much ice-tee this morning, this is the second time he's went and we just got started huntin, he's gonna be dry by the end of the day, guess you'll have to make him some more, so he can bring enough with him for the Saturday hunt. He won't be hunting Saturday, he'll be busy. He's taking me shopping at Mall America in MN, Saturday if he knows what's good for him. Jeff ? She wants to know what time you'al be leaving for your shopping trip Saturday morning? Randy is just about peeing himself and Jeff just gives me a goofy look, then holds his hand out for the phone back. Oh looks like he's done, just a minute and I'll give him the cell phone, hold on please. I took the phone and tossed it into the flooded mud field in front of us, dang those cell phones just don't handle water worth a dang. Randy lost it, he had to get up and walk away, Jeff just sat there with his mouth open. Now are you ready to learn how to turkey hunt the right way? Ah Huh, about 10 minutes later Jeff says to Randy, I've wanted to do that ever since she bought me that thing! So we moved to a new setup, I had made Jeff a call and taught him how to play it on our way to the woods. Told him your calling, we'll cover you and teach you as we go. We struck up a bird , our second of the morning before we were so rudly interupted, and worked him in before the jakes got to him. The bird was a 2yo and came in fairly easy and fast, it started to hang up a bit at 35 yards in the brush. we talked Jeff through it and how to work one that hangs up, he got back on the call and worked the bird in until it offered a clean shot. Bird 2 down, Jeff loaded up and headed home by noon. Myself and Randy headed back out in the afternoon to locate another good bird, we both had a tag left. Didn't find what I was lookin for, that afternoon, but saw plenty of birds, gobs and jakes. Randy asked where I was goin Friday morning, told him I still after that bird I saw Weds morning, him and him only. Well Friday was a wash, it poured all day with cold temps and wind, so we didn't hunt Friday at all. Jeff did show back up on Saturday morning and went out with us. Saturday morning was less wind and a very light sprinkle, so Randy asked if he could tag a long with us, told him didn't matter to me. We got into the woods and set up, but very little gobbling on the roost, think we only heard 4-5 birds. Later in the morning we set up again, Randy and Jeff set up on the edge of a field and I crossed it and set up on a point that stuck out into it. I again was over run with jakes, 3 flocks of them with 5-7 birds in a flock, they were coming to whoop up on my strutter. Randy and Jeff had better luck on their side, he got lucky and got the bird I was after. I nice 2yo grey color phase bird with a double beard. Sorry guys no pics I forgot my cam and scale/tape. Looked like the beards were about 7 and 10" beards and about 20/22lbs. Hope he took a pic before he cleaned it tonight? Sunday morning we worked in 2 birds, one came in silent, first bird in 6 years that did that to me. We worked him off the roost and had him at 30 yards with his head behing a tree, safty off and bead on his head when he stepped out, just as the deer came running passed annd spooked him back into the tamaracks. Then about 30 minutes after that I worked another bird in and he was at about 40 yards when a young doe walked passed and started giving him the look and ran him off. So I had bad deer and jakes troubles all week, but still have 2 day left in this season, so back out to my old spot in the morning and if I don't do good there then I'll head back up and hunt the publics back up there Tuesday. We had birds to shoot every day of the hunt but Friday. We saw jake fights, gobbler and jake fights, watched a boss tom kick 4 jakes butts as a sub gob stood watching. There wasn't any place we hunted that we didn't see 3-5 flocks of jakes and numerous longbeards that were still in groups by themselves, not chasing hens, strange year? We only saw 1 other hunter all week on the publics we hunted. Scoot couldn't make it, work canceled his vocation so he had to work, Shane was snowed in and didn't want to try and drive down just to film, arrows, not sure what happened to him? Sent him a few pm's but didn't hear nothing back, Brian was headed down to MO/IA for the T&TH/Zink hunt on Friday. We had some great hunts and lots of birds to work every place we hunted, the next couple years are going to be some good ones for sure.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Re: 2nd T&TH Hunt

Postby kygobbler » May 6th, 2013, 3:06 am

Scott, you had me rolling man. I can't believe the guy actually let you talk to his wife because you know nothing good, on him, is going to come out of it. If he knew she was going to call he should have left the darn thing in the truck or at home.

Looks like that place is going to be the honey hole next year with all those jakes running around.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 6th, 2013, 8:02 am

Sounds like a great time Scott! Like KY said that place should be awesome next year with all of those jakes running around. If you get a picture of that gray phase double bearded gobbler I would love to see it.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 6th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Today was the first time I've seen hens going to a gobbling gobbler, so maybe this season is finally starting to turn around like it should be? All weekend the hens were still staying away from the gobs, the toms were chasing but the hens didn't seem interested? All week I only saw 2 gobblers that had hens going to them, the other hens would come to the hen decoys, if there wasn't a strutter or jake with them. If there was a tom or jake decoy the hens would come and take a look then go the other way. This morning I saw 3 hens and 5 jakes, but no gobblers, they were across the road on the private today. Tomorrow I'll hunt the same area with a little different calling tactics and with the calling I was doing today may help move a gobbler over on to the public, off of the private? I'll also which up calls to something a bit more harsh and not so sweet sounding. I know the strut zones in that area and will setup closer to them for starters. Starting to see more dusting bowls starting to show up, and will keep an eye open for bird activity in that area later on in the afternoons. The hay fields are starting to green up better, so I'm switching starting points from the plowed/corn stubble fields to the hay fields for the bug food that the birds have been waiting for. There wasn't much gobbling going on this morning, with the dew point being high early this morning at 43, most of the gobbling started around 8am and lasted until about 10:30, only heard 1 bird gobble on the roost, probably the boss in the area. Now the dew point is 26 and should be a much better morning for gobbles, unless it raises during the night? I'll try to keep you all informed as to what's going on with them.
Later, Scott.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 6th, 2013, 8:25 pm

sounds like a great hunt Scott, man that would a ticked me off with the cellphone thing. My wife is respectful enough to not call me when I'm out hunting unless it's an emergency. Birds in SE MN this weekend seemed to be broken up pretty well. Every hen was saw was by herself, and we only saw 2 gobblers together, the rest were loners or with a hen or two. Surprisingly we did not run into many jakes, which is strange because it was supposed to be a great hatch last spring in SE MN as well.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 6th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:sounds like a great hunt Scott, man that would a ticked me off with the cellphone thing. My wife is respectful enough to not call me when I'm out hunting unless it's an emergency.

I agree with Gopher that would have gotten me fuming. My wife know that I will give her some updates via email or text and call when I get back at night but other than that it better be really important.

Good luck with the turkeys Scott.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 12th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Thanks for the update on T&TH hunt.

Sounds like there should be a ton of gobs next season.
Tell Randy I said hello!

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 13th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Fan Club wrote:Thanks for the update on T&TH hunt.

Sounds like there should be a ton of gobs next season.
Tell Randy I said hello!

Jeff

Will do Jeff, I should see him this weekend agian.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin