May Blizzard

charlie elk

May Blizzard

Postby charlie elk » May 2nd, 2013, 9:22 am

This is unbelievable and very possibly a disaster for all types of birds. Last night we got 13 inches of wet heavy snow, it is still snowing with an additional 9-12" expected by Thursday morning.
May 2 2013 overnight snowfall cold roosts.jpg
May 2 2013 overnight snowfall cold roosts.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 791 times

It sounds like there are gunshots all over in the woods however, it is sound of trees straining and cracking under the extreme weight of the snow. Trees and limbs are falling making it unsafe to be the woods. Even strong healthy trees are falling without warning.
May 2 2013 overnight snowfall.jpg
May 2 2013 overnight snowfall.jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 791 times

After this snow quits on Friday we are suppose to get rain through Sunday.
I have hunted under a lot of adverse conditions but this mess has me stumped.
When it quits or lets up; where are the turkeys going to be? Are they going to stay roosted? Will they able to move about on the ground by walking on top the snow? Or will they flounder in it and choose to stay up in the trees?
Right now the snow is too wet and sticky for me to use snow shoes and post holing each step is too tiring.

I have read there were more than 1,660 cold record temps set across the Midwest during April. Literally a spring for the record books.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: May Blizzard

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 2nd, 2013, 11:18 am

I'm so sick of this winter that won't die.....this spring has been the worst I can ever remember weather wise. I'm sure come June we'll switch right over to 100+ degree days too....

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 2nd, 2013, 11:38 am

You are probably right and there won't be an open turkey season by then...
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ads1

Postby ads1 » May 2nd, 2013, 12:49 pm

I feel for you guys and hard telling how it will affect the breeding season for the turkeys. My daughter lives in Roberts, WI and she is fed up with the snow. Glad I didn't get a turkey permit for WI or MN this year. Hang in there guys. :shock:

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » May 2nd, 2013, 12:59 pm

Charlie elk I feel for you guys living in the north.I could not deal with that.This late in the year it's crazy.That has to hurt the birds.Hope it breaks soon for ya'll.

Kevin

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » May 2nd, 2013, 8:52 pm

I know it must seem like the end of the world for us hunting turkeys this year, but the farmer who is gracious enough to allow me to hunt his property is at his wits end. I can see it in his face that he is very worried about getting his crops in this year.His equipment is sitting in the shed all dressed up and no where to go. I hope for his sake we have a quick turn around or this year may be a wash for him and his. My problem of a bird or no bird seems miniscule when compared to his.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

dewey

Postby dewey » May 4th, 2013, 8:29 am

gutpiler wrote:I know it must seem like the end of the world for us hunting turkeys this year, but the farmer who is gracious enough to allow me to hunt his property is at his wits end. I can see it in his face that he is very worried about getting his crops in this year.His equipment is sitting in the shed all dressed up and no where to go. I hope for his sake we have a quick turn around or this year may be a wash for him and his. My problem of a bird or no bird seems miniscule when compared to his.

Great point gutpiler! I talked with a farmer friend who let's me hunt in his land and he said yesterday that they were in the fields a full month earlier last year and now they are currently about 2-3 weeks behind. He seems like he is doing OK with it by taking care of other projects around the house. I was happy to help him take care of one project that involved demolishing part of his cedar deck. That was the best smelling project I have been involved with.

As for hunting turkeys in adverse conditions if anyone can kill turkeys in the snow it is you Charlie.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 4th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Trees and limbs are falling making it unsafe to be the woods.

Charlie we have been hit with the Emerald Ash Borer hard in Indiana. There are days here that trees are falling with little wind. It seems that the root structure of the ash trees fail fast, leaving no support for the tree.
It is unreal the snow you have been hit with. I saw a pic of a goose that just had her head above the snow sitting the nest.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

daniel ripley

Postby daniel ripley » May 5th, 2013, 4:57 pm

in new york it just got warm here this last week. but i can feel for you guys i can remember more than a few winters that were like that. thanks, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 5th, 2013, 6:53 pm

I had heard you guys were gettin dumped on charlie. We had great weather just south of you, weds was a warm sunny day in the 70's, and thurs we just got a sprinkle of rain but still warm day, but friday we got rained out and the temps dropped and windy, Sat was cool with only a sprinkle again, today was sunny and warm t-shirt weather.
They say a bird can stay on the roost for 9 days without leaving, but that's a bird in good health. This spring has been tough on the birds in the north & western part of the state. I would imagin they are going to have a bad hatch this spring, but who knows? It will definitely be a late hatch.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin