I'm done, almost

kygobbler

I'm done, almost

Postby kygobbler » May 1st, 2013, 12:31 pm

I finally got my last bird. Anytime a bird has been a pain in my butt a few times I name him. This one got named Mr. Moby Dck. He weighed 23 lbs, 10.5" and a 3.5" beards, 1 1/16" and 7/8" spurs. He is my first multi bearded bird.

Mr. Moby has been a thorn in my butt. I accidently set my blind up 30 yards from him while he was on roost. I had him walk away from me a few times. Monday, him and 3 of his buddies gobbled their head off all morning but would never cross a little creek and get on the property I could hunt. It was tearing me up listening them gobble to everything and only about 50 yards away from me. Then that afternoon when I was going after him in a 150 acre cut corn field. There is no sneaking around except on the back side of the field where it joins a set of woods.

Yesterday, I decided I would hunt all day and would not leave the blind until I either got him or it got dark which ever happened first. Mr. Moby only gobbled once at 8:30 and few minutes later I hear a dog barking in the same area. I thought that would force him over to me. Wrong. It got 83 degrees and with no breeze what so ever in that blind I was sweating my butt off.

About 5:30 pm, I was thinking I was a dumb butt for sitting in a blind all day only to see 3 hens and 2 jakes. Then at 5:45, Mr. Moby and his buddies gobble. Then a hen lets out a few yelps. YES finally some action. The hens come out into the field and the gobblers stay on the other side of the little creek gobbling their heads off. I was thinking great they are going to do the same thing as the day before. Then I hear wings flapping and I knew they were on my side. I see two gobblers come into the field and head towards the hens but neither one of them were Mr. Moby. Another gobbler comes out but it ain't him either. Then finally in full strut and the evening light shining on him glowing in the field there is Mr. Moby.

I have a strutting jake and 2 hen decoys out. Mr. Moby starts towards the real hens so I gave him some fighting purrs and here he comes. Any time he got out of strut or turned from me I would throw out some more fighting purrs and he would turn back to me. I was thinking don't blow this, don't blow this. As soon as he got 40 yards from me and raised his head just a little I pulled the trigger and got my reward. I guess I could of watched him whoop my jakes butt but after sitting there all day I wasn't taking any chances on some going wrong. :D

Spring Doulble 010.jpg
Spring Doulble 010.jpg (153.95 KiB) Viewed 554 times

Spring Doulble 010.jpg
Spring Doulble 010.jpg (153.95 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Attachments
Spring Doulble 021.jpg
Spring Doulble 021.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Last edited by kygobbler on May 3rd, 2013, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kygobbler

Re: I'm done, almost

Postby kygobbler » May 1st, 2013, 1:05 pm

It took 4 tries to get that last post on here glad it finally worked.

I have one more hunt left. I have to take a youngster tomorrow afternoon and hopefully she can get the bird I missed at my honey hole.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 1st, 2013, 4:01 pm

Well I was wondering when the moby pics were coming, that's awesome Bryan, all day in a blind is a tough thing, even w/ a phone :shock: , but it paid off big time for you, big congrats to you brother.....turkey pizza anyone!! :D
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 2nd, 2013, 4:26 pm

congrats kygobbler!!! man do you shoot nothing but stud birds over there in KY??? ur 1st birds was a beautiful eastern with them dandy spurs & then this guy moby dick is a good name he looks huge in that pic!!!

any more hunts planed maybe TN or OH guess they are not far from KY??? id like to try KY some yr??? maybe do like a KY,TN,AL hunt on my back from FL some yr??? or KY,TN,AL,IL ??? beautiful country in them MTNs

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 2nd, 2013, 11:54 pm

Thanks guys. TJ, the hunting this year has been tough to say the least. Mostly due to I haven't seen as many gobblers as I did last year. Even though I did get my limit this year I was not able to get a single youngster a bird. Hopefully I can correct that this fall.

As far as hunting other states, I'm in the process right now on trying to get a spot to hunt in TN since its only a 25 min drive from my house. A guy I took hunting this spring told me he could hook me up but we all know how that goes majority of the time so we will see.

TJ, if you do ever come down here let me know. LBL, Land Between the Lakes, and Peabody are public hunting lands that are not very far from me. Maybe you can educate me on hunting on public land. After reading about some the "horror" stories about public land I have never hunted them. Then again with the private land that I am very fortunate to hunt on I have never had the need to hunt public land.

bcknuts

Postby bcknuts » May 3rd, 2013, 7:05 am

Kygobbler great bird man that is a hauss.

Kevin

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 3rd, 2013, 9:04 am

Thanks Kevin.

Well guys Im official done. I took my last youngster hunting yesterday afternoon. The only action we saw was a doe that would not leave us alone. She stayed with us for 45 mins :evil: I guess she was bored and didn't have anything else to do.
Now its back to the old work schedule.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 3rd, 2013, 6:47 pm

oh kygobbler dont let my bad luck on heavy hunted public land detour you from hunting public at least not public in TN i hear really great things about TN so much so im thinking of hunting there next season? for me if i travel out of state over 4-5 hours i want to hunt a sub species other then easterns so i tend to hunt popular turkey hunting states for there opening days & thus i run into a lot of other non resident turkey hunters doing the same thing but i could avoid that if i just didnt hunt in them popular turkey states NE,KS,SD,OK,FL on opener & waited for the season to be going a WK or 2 most states are in full bore turkey hunt season in mid-late april - early may so hit them popular turkey hunting states when everybody else is hunting at home & u may have the public lands to your self??? but im running out of NEW close to MN rio/merriams states to hunt & i have only hunted FL in DIXIE so i really want to hunt some down south easterns some day soon to open my turkey season early as i always apply 4 & get a MN turkey tag for the 3rd wk in april...

hunting hard pressured public lands is all about hunting & doing what the other guys wont/dont do every day... if that means walking farther or get n some wear early B4 others or coming at the birds from another direction or just shut n up & wait n in a good spot thats what you have to do... also look for places that not everybody else is hunting or that not that many people are hunting spend a little time talking to a STATE/FEDERAL PROPERTY MANAGER OR AREA WILDLIFE BIOLOGIST for the peace of public land you want to hunt & just pick there brain a little about the habits of the turkeys & maybe even what end of the property they think is better to hunt... even talk to a CO if you cant reach any regional or area biologist or property managers its there job to help you just make sure to tell em its not a serious crime in progress & do you have a few min to chat about the turkeys in there unit/area/region of the state they will be nice about 98% of the time if there not well try again in a few wks lol

you want to hunt area with high well very high turkey populations that way even if you bugger a turkey or there is 1 or 2 dumb 2 yr old dead out the area there is still plenty of other turkeys to play with on the public lands... then you want to look at the areas on google ETC. & pic a public area with the best habitat for turkeys that hold a butt load of birds & hunt that area on a WK-END other then opener WK-END & on SAT & SUN if you can help it because you can imagine that others will know about the area after opener & they got there butt kicked by the birds there they will want to try there hand again once or twice id assume??? hunt hard mid wk & try to learn the birds & there traits when your hunting get the big pic of what & wear the birds are & what there doing B4 you just barge in there & start yelping away in most cases just let the morning unfold & if you hear a bird get on that!!! but if there are loads of bird sounding off when you get there & no body else is around feel free to hunt the birds how you do on private lands i dont change much when hunting private land calling wise unless i can see the birds not liking my loud mouth ways then i will tone it down until im close in to turkeys...

also use calls most dont be it tube slate box ETC. also call different not the same 6-7 note yelps try kee kee runs 2-3 note yelps & clucks cutt 2-3 time then yelp 2-3 times & shut up once a turkey hears you? calk/yelp like a jake or gobbler yelp try new things that not every guy dose every day they hunt...

hunt wear they turkeys want to be is the key yes lots of dumb loud un sneaky hunters move turkeys out of some areas but they are still around you/we just have to find wear they are now & use it to kill them thats always the key private or public...

hunt late into the evening if legal like till fly up time later in the season if a gobbler has had a few girlfriends & is still looking for more he seems to let his guard a little if he hears a hen yelping late in the evening near fly up he wants to be near hens when he flys up... i like to lost yelp late in the evening trying to get hens/gobblers to come find the lost turkey B4 fly up many times a gobbler goes nuts as a lost hen is as sexy as a hen that not lost maybe even more sexy to a gobbler? as she wants company as well late in the evening...

for me a lot of time public lands have much much more & better managed lands to hunt & hold plenty of birds but it only takes a few knuckle heads to rub somebody the wrong way & wreck a hunt so play it safe if there a bunch of guys around go hunt the PLAN B,C,D areas you may have picked out prior to your hunt it will pay off as you can just drive over there & hope theres less people there then wear u just came from most the time your in luck...

hope some of this helps feel free to ask more kygobbler & if i was 25 min from TN id be there already LOL talk to a few biologist or property managers for some public lands in TN & i bet your packing the truck up & heading out in no time... lol good luck man!!!

Return to Team 1