Mn Washington county sheriff commander shot

charlie elk

Re: Mn Washington county sheriff commander shot

Postby charlie elk » May 2nd, 2013, 9:37 am

dewey wrote:Any news on how your buddy s doing Charlie?

The full extent of Jerry's injuries are not known. We are praying his disabilities will short term at best.
When more is known and then when he grants permission the gruesome details will most likely be made public. Jerry is dedicated to the cause of hunter safety and will no doubt use this incident to hopefully avoid future horrible accidents.

I have been wondering if MN has ever had any shootings other than self inflicted during their spring turkey hunts?
I can't remember any.
If that is the case perhaps WI should consider requiring a legal turkey to be bearded as is required in MN. This would require a hunter to slow down and clearly identify the target as legal before shooting.

Strange how life's paths work out sometimes. In this case 2 Minnesotans crossed the border and ended up meeting each other. What a horrible irony.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 2nd, 2013, 10:39 am

Here is an updated story frrom the St Paul Pioneer Press.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_23152152/w ... d-says-its

By Dave Orrick and Elizabeth Mohr
Pioneer Presstwincities.com
Posted: 05/01/2013 12:01:00 AM CDT
May 2, 2013 1:58 PM GMTUpdated: 05/02/2013 08:58:20 AM CDT

Jerry Cusick of Scandia on a recent turkey hunting trip to Nebraska. (Courtesy of Jerry Cusick) RelatedHunter shot
Washington County officer shot by hunter will need eye surgeryWhite Bear Lake man shoots Washington County sheriff's commander while turkey hunting
Being shot in the face won't keep Jerry Cusick from trying to bag a wild turkey this spring.

"I'm going," the 53-year-old hunter said in an interview from his Scandia home after being discharged from the hospital with a faceful of turkey load.
Cusick was struck by about 50 BBs in his face, chest and arms. He lost a front tooth, has a scarred face and will require surgery for a pellet lodged behind an eye.
Amazingly, none of the BBs hit his eyes.
"I can see out of both of my eyes, and I walked out of it -- so that's a miracle," he said Wednesday, May 1.
Cusick, a Washington County sheriff's commander and firearms safety instructor, was shot by a turkey hunter Tuesday while Cusick was scouting private land in St. Croix County, Wis., for an upcoming turkey hunt.
"I'm very disappointed in people, especially this shooter," he said. "I mean, how could you? ... The fact is, he made a very, very poor choice. It was an unconscionable choice to shoot without identifying what he was shooting at."
He estimated the other hunter was 15 to 30 yards away -- a typical range for a hunter to draw a bead on a turkey's head.
The shooting is being investigated, but the presumption is Anthony Cardarelli, 27, of White Bear Lake mistook Cusick for a turkey.
A cardinal rule of hunting safety is this: Positively identify your target and what's beyond it. In turkey hunting in Wisconsin and Minnesota, only birds with a "beard" -- a hairy tassel hanging from the chest of most males -- can be shot. The requirement serves to create an extra level of positive identification.
Yet, safety experts and hunters warn, the mind plays tricks.
"Psychologically, I don't know if I fully understand it, but I know it's a real thing," said turkey hunter Tom Glines of Coon Rapids, who knows Cusick and is a regional field supervisor for the National Wild Turkey Federation. "I was close to being there once."
Glines said he can understand how a turkey hunter, having spent hours, perhaps days, in the field, can mistake a movement in the bushes or a flash of color for a strutting tom.
In Glines' instance, he never fingered the trigger, but the knowledge that he was preparing to fire at what he believed was a turkey -- behind a bush that in fact concealed a fellow hunter -- was heart-stopping.
"At that moment when I realized it was a person, I saw a ghost," said Glines. "It was very scary. It's not a situation I would wish upon anybody."
Glines' advice: "Pulling that trigger should never be that important to bag the game over safety. Once you pull that trigger, you don't pull that shot back."
In 2005, the National Wild Turkey Federation created a task force to study safety in turkey hunting, which has safety concerns unique to the pursuit.
Among other factors, turkey hunting often involves crouched camouflaged hunters -- about the size of a wild turkey -- imitating the sounds of turkeys and sometimes carrying decoys designed to look like turkeys.
The task force examined 158 incidents in which hunters were injured. "Failure to identify target" accounted for 68 percent of them.
Perhaps surprisingly, novice hunters were not the most likely to pull the trigger. Average age of the shooter: 42.
Cardarelli was no novice either. He could not be reached for comment, but Dave Hausman, a warden supervisor with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources in Baldwin, said he appears to be an experienced hunter.

"In talking with him, he has been an avid turkey hunter for years," said Hausman, who also is acquainted with Cusick.
"(Cardarelli has) shot upwards of 20 to 30 turkeys, and he's hunted in many different states."
Hausman declined to discuss many details of the Cusick's wounding, citing the ongoing investigation and possible criminal charges, which would be decided by county prosecutors.
But he did say Cardarelli reacted properly.
"Once it happened, (Cardarelli) did everything right," Hausman said. "He called 911 right away. He stayed there."
None of this excuses what happened, Hausman said.
"You can't say, 'I thought it was a turkey.' You have to know," he said. "You shouldn't have to worry about walking around in the woods just because it's turkey season."
And that's what Cusick was doing.
A turkey hunter since 1989, he also teaches classes on turkey hunting safety.
"I always teach that you don't wear the colors red, white and blue, and I didn't have them with me," Cusick said. The head and neck areas of toms will flush with red, white and blue during the spring. Cusick wasn't wearing camouflage. He wasn't calling.
Armed only with binoculars, he was walking on a path at 7:20 a.m. Tuesday, scouting. Scouting turkeys is basically walking, sitting, looking and listening, trying to determine the habits of the wary birds. It's considered essential to success.
To reduce hunter crowding, Wisconsin's turkey season, like Minnesota's, is broken into mini-seasons. Cusick's license allowed him to hunt beginning Wednesday. One part of the season expired Tuesday.
Cusick was on private land -- in the 1900 block of 80th Street in the town of Somerset -- that he alone had permission to hunt. He said it's possible Cardarelli was set up across a fenceline on another parcel.
"This is quite a shock when you're just walking along," said Cusick, who hasn't been shot in 28 years with the Washington County sheriff's office.
"I would liken it to somebody hitting you upside the head with a baseball bat, and you didn't expect it was coming."
Along with feeling the hit, he heard a "loud boom."
"It spun me around, knocked my hat off," he said. "I ducked down and saw blood was streaming down. I screamed, 'You shot me! You shot me!' "
Cusick didn't hear a response.
"So I thought, 'I'm not going to die here. ... I'm getting out of here,' " he said.
He ran to his vehicle and drove to a nearby farm. He was treated at Regions Hospital in St. Paul. Some 50 pellets remain under the skin in his face, chest and arms. Some will likely be expelled by the body naturally over time.
"I'm going to have to live with 50 pellet scars all over my face and body," he said.
In addition to hunting turkeys within his seven-day season, Cusick said, he plans to report to work Monday.
"Obviously, I can't go out and fight with anybody, but I can do my administrative work," he said.
Dave Orrick can be reached at 651-228-5512. Follow him at twitter.com/OutdoorsNow. Elizabeth Mohr can be reached at 651-228-5162. Follow her at twitter.com/LizMohr. Andy Rathbun contributed to this report.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

Postby dewey » May 2nd, 2013, 10:48 am

charlie elk wrote:I have been wondering if MN has ever had any shootings other than self inflicted during their spring turkey hunts?
I can't remember any.

I remember going to a MnDNR sponsored turkey clinic in 2008 and hearing that no person has every been killed while turkey hunting and then this happened.

This terrible day happened in the spring of 2008 and I will never forget this accident. As a dad I could not imagine anything worse than this.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/ ... ml?refer=y

The Belle Plaine man who fatally shot his 8-year-old son in the chest last month while turkey hunting had alcohol and marijuana in his system at the time, according to a felony second-degree manslaughter charge filed Monday.

Anthony Klaseus, 39, told authorities that he told his son, Hunter, to stay put as he circled a field to approach turkeys sometime after 5 p.m. April 19 in a field east of Crahan Lane near County Road 6 in Sibley County, according to charges filed in Sibley County District Court.

Klaseus called to the turkeys. They called back and moved toward him.

"Then I heard something snap or break near me, and a large figure rose up," he told authorities. "I thought it was a turkey, and I shot and it went down. I thought I shot the turkey. Then my son jumped back up screaming and then fell back down."

Hunter, dressed in full camouflage and wearing a hood, looked like a "turkey fanning out," Klaseus told authorities. Department of Natural Resources regulations only allow hunters to shoot turkeys with visible beards, a feathered appendage on the breast.

Klaseus and paramedics performed CPR on Hunter, but he died at the scene.

Klaseus took a breath test at the scene that registered a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.06 percent, the charges said. A urine test taken three hours after the shooting showed an ethyl alcohol concentration of 0.05 grams per 67 milliliters. It also showed that he had marijuana in his system, although the exact concentration won't be known for a few weeks.

Authorities said it's unclear exactly when he consumed the alcohol and marijuana.

Two 12-packs of beer, three six-packs of beer, an empty 24-pack of beer and a marijuana pipe were found in Klaseus' truck at the scene, the charges say. The packs of beer contained empty and full cans.

"That's just one side of the story," said Klaseus' attorney, Patrick Flanagan. "The family is distraught. They're trying to work through the loss of their son. They were hoping the county attorney would come up with a different conclusion."

Flanagan declined to address details revealed in the charges. The family did not want to comment, said Hunter's grandmother.

Hunter's death was the first turkey hunting fatality since turkey hunting began here in 1978. Last year, two people were fatally shot in hunting accidents in Minnesota. All told, in 2007, there were 23 incidents of hunters being shot at in the state.

"One of the 10 safety rules of hunting, besides being sure of your target, is not to consume ... alcohol or be on any kinds of drugs," said Al Thomas, executive director of Turn in Poachers, a nonprofit that promotes safe and ethical sportsmanship. "By following the rules of safe shooting, maybe it could've been prevented."

Klaseus is also charged with felony reckless discharge of a firearm and two misdemeanor charges: trespassing and hunting turkeys without a license. He was drawn to buy a license, but never made the $18 purchase.

Klaseus is scheduled to make his first court appearance May 22. He will not be arrested in connection with the charges.

He was cited by a DNR official for marijuana possession in 1996.

Chao Xiong • 612-673-4391

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 2nd, 2013, 11:20 am

that story dewey was the bad press i was talking about us hunters dont need any more storys like these to happen...

the man who shot his son caused many a argument in my family well really not with the hunters but a few spouses & there mothers had bad things to say about hunters after that happened we had to explain that this guy was not a hunter he was not licensed was trespassing & was drunk plus high carrying a firearm & with his kid at same time bad situation if you ask me!!! but nothing about this man who shot his child say ethical hunter...

when 2 ethical or seasoned hunters have a encounter in the turkey woods then i can see how these non hunters can say hunting is dangerous & or say ignorant things about all hunters seasoned hunters are supposed to know better...

as for the being afraid to walk the turkey woods just cause its turkey season that was not my point or should not be the point its the courtesy to all the others out enjoying the woods that i respect more then my own needs/wants to kill a turkey walk the dog take pics or mushroom hunt ETC. if i seen a vehicle parked near or at wear i want to hunt i move on i dont want to encounter people while im out hunting period... at the car is fine but in the woods im anti social...

during deer season you very rarely see or have non hunters out take n pics site seeing or walking the dog in or on public hunting grounds as they now its deer season & if you do they are wearing blaze orange cuz they know its deer season... i see people up by hugo even wearing blaze orange when walking the dog in deer season... maybe at these parking area or entrance points to public hunting lands there should be a sign that states the hunting seasons/dates to maybe avoid these area due to hunter activity??? in many county parks wear deer hunting is allowed even for archery hunts only they limit the hours that NON HUNTERS can use the parks like not till 11:00-12:00 when they have a hunt in progress thats a damn fine idea to me... states like MO have laws that states the state public hunting lands are only open for hunting activity during like turkey & gun deer season so they are closed to NON HUNTERS only like 6-8 wks a yr to NON HUNTERS so 44-45 wks out the yr its open for all to enjoy 45 wks open for all 6-8 wks closed to NON HUNTERS ON A PUBLIC HUNTING LAND is fair to me??? i mean they can walk there dog someplace else for a few wks???

i understand that its public land & open to all but in my experience alot of these NON HUNTERS act like they own the public lands & dont follow the rules on the property or set by law... i have been out turkey hunting in WI,NE,FL & MN & seen people out with there dogs that are supposed to be on a leash just let there dog off & roam freely throughout the woods off leash free to chase turkey deer ETC. i think that is animal harassment? when you talk to them they say oh i didnt know anybody else was in the area or i didnt know you were hunting? not sorry for stinking up the woods with my dog & scaring all the game away we do this all the time??? i then move on to another area... lol

had a turkey gobbling on the roost last yr in WI it was evening so i was moving to the bird sounding off to try & locate him for the a.m. i got pretty close then just sat & waited i then seen well herd 1st a turkey wing scrape & pitch out the tree he flew down & out of my life for good then 15 sec later a dog come running up to me & kinda growling i yelled at him go home get out of here damn it then 2 min later a lady all sweaty & damn near lost comes up the trail & starts yelling at her dog & say im so sorry he dose that all the time??? well no wonder no turkey ever were seen in that area the hole trip they roost there sometimes but not much as there is activity on that trail more & more but what can you do its public... the turkeys at that peace of land basicly roost & use the periphery of the public land wear there are no horse or hiker trails & thats wear they feel safe wear they never see people to much activity can shut a peace of land down & its turkeys & cause them 2 move else wear we all know that...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 2nd, 2013, 11:36 am

Stay tune there will be more stories and probably some pictures of his wounds. My guess is MN Outdoor News will have a full account.

Oh yeah, I remember that horrible story of the under the influence father shooting his own son. I had successfully pushed that one from my memory. :cry:

TJ, your carping about non hunters being in the woods is extremely "bad press". Under no circumstance should anyone feel the least bit threatened while being out during a hunting season. If non hunters in the woods bother you so much please confine your hunting to private lands where you can keep others out. Public land is for the use of all citizens. Period.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 2nd, 2013, 12:50 pm

I agree with Charlie and that public land should be open to all persons, hunters or not, during any time period of the year. I think the state could have signs up that say when hunting seasons are so that way everyone that uses the public land is aware of the season but I do not agree that the land should be closed for any one group to use it while other groups of people can not.

Dewey

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 2nd, 2013, 1:26 pm

was your buddy not shot on PRIVATE LANDS charlie??? i have had mushroom hunters scouters & trespassers all interfear with my hunts on private lands also...

99% of the dummys out in the woods during a hunting season say the same thing once they talk to a hunter "I DIDNT EVEN KNOW HUNTING SEASON WAS GOING ON?" thats wear put n a sign or season dates at a parking area is a good idea... walkers hikers bikers dog walkers pic takers mushroom hunters ETC. dont buy a license or ammo ETC. like hunters do & our hunting $$$ well the tax on it is used to buy up these peaces of public lands "pittman robertson act" as dose hunting groups like PF grouse society DU NWTF ETC...

i understand the little kid mentality of i can be here cuz its public land its dose not mean your not being a dick if you know hunters are in the woods & you let your dog off leash to run the woods or a dog walker beats you to a public land spot & you still go hunt there & give them heck for walking there dog there during hunting season... its just RESPECT i RESPECT hikers bikers & the like i wish the same was returned most say i will just go hike/walk someplace else now that i know your here hunting here... but them buying there hikeing boots & water bottles did not pay for the peace of hunting property that is managed for wildlife & hunting... i have thought for years about bringing a occupied or hunter in process sign with me to the woods & sticking in the ground on a trail head or parking area i walk in the woods from... the guys in OK & KS i talked to about it thought the same way i did but said you know some yahoo would just go around it & say "oh i didnt know" lol

i do like horse riders as they routinely keep up & maintain there trails & woods im not sure if they have to buy a stamp or something to ride on the trails but they take care of the areas they ride thus no prob with them guys...

WMAs in MN have rules wear you cant run dogs during certain times of the yr to protect the wildlife thats public land why shouldnt people be able to enjoy that land how they please anytime of the yr its public land??? all im saying is alot of the non hunters feel they dont need to abide by or dont care to know the rules on public hunting lands or have the same respect for hunters as hunters do for them... i mean in KS i doubt ill ever see a rich lady in 80,00$$$ car pull up & start hiking around the WIHA with her dog? no matter how close to town the WIHA is them folks know its hunting land & i can walk my dog some place else... we live in states wear hunting is not main stream as respected as KS,NE,MO,SD,MT etc.

MO respects there hunting community more then many other states do i understand but thats the prob not many at all nowdays respect hunters they look at us as dangerous killers & shooting up the woods & each other... thats wear i do care about bad press sorry to say...

i wont comment or continue CARPING on the public land issue any more... any hunting accident is to many & we dont need any more PERIOD

dewey

Postby dewey » May 2nd, 2013, 3:02 pm

turkey junky wrote:was your buddy not shot on PRIVATE LANDS charlie???

Yes it was on private land.

Here is a portion of the story from the St Paul Pioneer Press.

The shooting happened about 7:20 a.m. Tuesday on private property in the 1900 block of 80th Street in the town of Somerset.

Cusick was unarmed when turkey hunter Anthony Cardarelli, 27, of White Bear Lake mistook him for a turkey and shot him, according to the St. Croix County sheriff's office. Cusick made his way to a nearby home for help.

Cusick said he knows the property owner and had permission to be there. The hunter who shot him did not, he said.

http://www.twincities.com/wisconsin/ci_ ... ter-is-out

Dewey

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 2nd, 2013, 4:17 pm

i was just trying to say that even on private land wear you are supposed to be the only guy hunting or having permission to hunt that dose not protect you from much you still can get hikers mushroom hunters trespassing trigger happy hunters/poachers ETC... i was told go hunt private & so i was just saying hey man this all happened on private land write??? not that it should happen on public lands either... i enjoy hunting public lands i do 98%-99% of my hunting on public lands on purpose not because i have to id much rather hunt public lands call me crazy...

Previous

Return to Minnesota