Most realistic call?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
onpoint

Re: Most realistic call?

Postby onpoint » April 21st, 2013, 5:42 am

Have several wingbones and love 'em. Have even made a call from a piece of bamboo and a catheter (an unused one of course! :mrgreen: ) All of them have that hollow tonal quality. That being said, they are limited in their use, e.g. "purring". Is there anyone out there that can "purr" on a wingbone? Hats off to 'ya if you can. I do have a question: Is the sound of the wingbone and the trumpet similar? :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

hawglips

Postby hawglips » April 30th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Depends on who's running the call. My brother is indistinguishable from a real hen in the woods with a mouth call. For most people, it's a pot call or box call.

Norman_N

Postby Norman_N » April 30th, 2013, 1:33 pm

I would have to say any pot and peg call. With all the different surfaces out there along with all the different strikers. They're pretty user friendly once someone gets the hang of how loud and how to move the striker to make different calls. Has probably lead to more new hunters getting their first birds than you can shake a stick at. Mine was , it was a simple double sided slate and glass call that came with a wood and acrylic striker, still have it and does see some playing time from time to time :D

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » April 30th, 2013, 2:51 pm

for me when i hear a really good caller that can run many different kinds of calls well the mouth call always sounds the most real as does a wing bone or trumpet style call... i can tell about 90%-95% of the time what kinds of calls other hunters are using when im out in the woods & another hunter answers my calling... box call is the most simple for me to figure out then a mouth call or vise versa if you have a novice caller working the calls then a slate comes last as its hard to mess up on a slate but simply put you can put so much more realism or emotion into your calling with a mouth call it for me hands down sounds the most real of all the calls the tube call & aluminum slate call sound the least like a real turkey to me IMO but then again shoot ive herd some damn fine natural voice callers also got to mention them guys...

listen to a real pro turkey caller champion & you will hear what i mean about adding emotion 2 calling with a mouth call its amazing how real those guys sound & i try to base my calling off them so im constantly trying to sound more & more real that also goes for learning when & what calls to make when & when not to call thats the hardest part of learning to call like a real turkey when to just shut up!!! lol

1 mouth call
2 slate call
3 box call
4 wing bone/trumpet
5 tube call

thats how id rank the most realistic calls...

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 1st, 2013, 6:06 am

Squealing Hen. :D :shock: :lol: :roll:

My buddy can make a box call sound incredible at distance, so can lots of folks though. Most callers do pretty well on a pot call and an accomplished caller on a diaphragm call sounds like the real thing.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion