Walk Off Home Run in Iowa !!

timbrhuntr

Walk Off Home Run in Iowa !!

Postby timbrhuntr » April 27th, 2013, 9:05 am

On the way home from Kansas I stopped off in Iowa to see if I could kill another long beard. I had a great starting point thanks to a friend named Jamey and a 3rd season tag burning in my hand. I hunted the first day and called in 3 nice longbeards but they didn't like something about the setup and left. The second day it was cold and miserable and no action. I was packed up to leave the morning of the third day but it was forecasted to be such a nice day I decided to try it. I only had until 730 or 8 to hunt. So needless to say it was the bottom of the ninth, I was down by one with one on. I came to bat with 2 out and a full count out came old Iowa red. He threw one low inside and I crushed it. Game over BBD in Iowa and another limbhanger. What a trip this was my 8th bird out of a possible 9. I don't think I could have ended with a better bird. A real Iowa monster. He came in strutting and gobbling with the two others but when I saw his beard I knew I had to kill him.

Iowa Eastern
22 Lbs 12 Oz
12 9/16 " Beard ( biggest beard for me yet )
Matching 1 1/4" spurs

Thanks Jamey for the intel !!

Now to try and kill a few Ontario birds and maybe one in Michigan. I am already behind the 8 ball as the season started April 25th in Ontario.

turkey junky

Re: Walk Off Home Run in Iowa !!

Postby turkey junky » April 27th, 2013, 12:54 pm

very nice mid western eastern wild turkey timbrhuntr that boy is a stud!!! what the eastern sub species lacks in white/buff colors like a merriams/rio have they make up for with sheer weight & size!!! hard to beat a 22-25 pound butterball eastern from IA MO MN or WI with a paintbrush for a beard & hooks for spurs!!! but i still love rios & merriams they are my funniest to hunt by far each season easterns are the least as they hardley gobble for me know days!!!

congrats timbrhuntr very stout & fun trip it looks like you had thus far on your turkey tour 2013!!!

nice that bird was so fat cuz he had that club toe? he could not walk off the fat like the other birds he was hanging with lol j/k i seen a guy shoot a limbhanger in KS that had a big goofy looking toe on it im sure he was noticeable in the field due to a messed up gimp walk??? very cool pics & hunts thanks for posting

kygobbler

Re: Walk Off Home Run in Iowa !!

Postby kygobbler » May 1st, 2013, 1:52 am

WOW! That's an impressive bird. Congrats on getting him.

Return to Team 1