Mn Washington county sheriff commander shot

dewey

Mn Washington county sheriff commander shot

Postby dewey » April 30th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Here is a sad story about a Washington county sheriffs commander that was shot by a turkey hunter. Thankfully it sounds like he will be OK but the punishment for the shooter should be that he/she needs to speak at every MnDNR firearms safety training about propoerly identifying your target before shooting. An 'accident' should never happen :x :x :x

Here is a link to the story.
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ile-hiking

A 28-year veteran of the Washington County sheriff's office was shot by a hunter as he walked a potential turkey hunting site in St. Croix County, Wis., Tuesday, April 30.

Cmdr. Jerry Cusick was shot once with a long-barreled shotgun, Washington County Sheriff Bill Hutton said. Cusick was taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul and was last listed in good condition.

The St. Croix County sheriff's office said the incident happened just after 7:20 a.m. in the 1900 block of 80th Street in Somerset Township.

"Preliminary information indicates that hunters were turkey hunting in the area when one hunter shot another hunter," the St. Croix sheriff's office said in a statement.

The incident is under investigation.

Hutton said Cusick's injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

"But whenever you get shot, you never know," Hutton said. "That's why they're taking all the precautions and making sure they're aware of the extent of the injuries."

Cusick heads the Washington County sheriff's office court security operations as well as the special units division, which includes chaplain services and the water, parks and trails unit.

He had been out Tuesday morning scouting a hunting area when he was shot.

"It's a spot that he hunts," Hutton said. "He was just hiking through today. He had no weapon on him, just walking through the area in preparation for an upcoming hunt."

Elizabeth Mohr can be reached at 651-228-5162. Follow her at twitter.com/LizMohr. Mary Divine and Andy Rathbun contributed to this report.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Re: Mn Washington county sheriff commander shot

Postby turkey junky » April 30th, 2013, 2:57 pm

bad press for us turkey hunters man real bad!!! why would you want to be that guy walking around the woods scouting during the hunting season stinking up the woods 4 everybody else??? maybe these yahoos that shot em were pissed off at what they thought was a hiker??? very dumb situation!!! at least it was in WI & not here in MN we have had enough bad press on our side of the turkey border...

man theres alot of dummys out there turkey hunting now-days!!!

dewey

Postby dewey » April 30th, 2013, 3:11 pm

turkey junky wrote:bad press for us turkey hunters man real bad!!! why would you want to be that guy walking around the woods scouting during the hunting season stinking up the woods 4 everybody else??? maybe these yahoos that shot em were pissed off at what they thought was a hiker??? very dumb situation!!! at least it was in WI & not here in MN we have had enough bad press on our side of the turkey border...

man theres alot of dummys out there turkey hunting now-days!!!

This incident happened in Wisocnsin not that it matters at all just trying to clear any confusion up.

I have absolutely no problem at all with anyone using public land for scouting, walking, bird wathcing whatever as it is public land. My biggest problem is how the heck do you shoot a person because he thought it was a turkey.

Here is a link to an expanded story of the incident.
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ile-hiking

A 28-year veteran of the Washington County sheriff's office was accidentally shot by a hunter as he walked a potential turkey hunting site in St. Croix County, Wis., Tuesday, April 30.

Cmdr. Jerry Cusick was shot once with a long-barreled shotgun, Washington County Sheriff Bill Hutton said. Cusick was taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul and was last listed in good condition.

The St. Croix County sheriff's office said the incident happened just after 7:20 a.m. in the 1900 block of 80th Street in the town of Somerset.

Cusick was unarmed and scouting the area when turkey hunter Anthony Cardarelli fired a shot, wounding the commander in the head, face, neck and shoulder, said St. Croix County Sheriff John Shilts.

Cardarelli is 27 and lives in White Bear Lake.

"At least at this point, we have no indication (Cardarelli) was trying to harm Cusick," Shilts said. "He thought what he was shooting was a turkey."

The St. Croix sheriff's office is investigating the incident and considering pursing charges. Shilts said investigators are concerned that Cardarelli did not take steps to identify what he was shooting.

"I've never known a human being to look like a turkey," Shilts said.

Cusick's injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, Hutton said.

"But whenever you get shot, you never know," Hutton said. "That's why they're taking all the precautions and making sure they're aware of the extent of the injuries."

Cusick, who is 53, heads the Washington County sheriff's office court security operations as well as the special units division, which includes chaplain services and the water, parks and trails unit. Property records show in lives in Scandia.

This is the first turkey hunting-related shooting incident of the year in Wisconsin, said Bill Yearman, a recreational safety warden for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

Typically, the state sees one or two such incidents a year; last year there were three, Yearman said.

"With turkey hunting, normally somebody sees some movement or some red or some blue ... and (thinks) all of a sudden that must be a turkey, and they shoot," he said, adding turkey hunters don't wear blaze orange because the birds can see the color.

The DNR will be investigating, Yearman said.

The incident was the second turkey-hunting-related shooting in as many years in St. Croix County. Last year, a 53-year-old Somerset woman was fatally shot when her gun accidently discharged.

Elizabeth Mohr can be reached at 651-228-5162. Follow her at twitter.com/LizMohr. Andy Rathbun can be reached at 651-228-2121. Follow him at twitter.com/andyrathbun. Mary Divine contributed to this report.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 30th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I don't care about the bad press - This is one of my best longtime hunting buddies!!
Just got off the phone with Jerry. He got hit bad, thinks the shooter was 15-20 yards away, the shot bowled him over. All this while he was walking a mowed path and not wearing any turkey colors.
Of course there is an active investigation and the rest of the info is private at this point. I expect to continue hunting with Jerry maybe even this week. He is one tough hombre and has never quit a hunt early or missed one. His first WI season starts tomorrow.

BTW, for what it's worth, this happened on private land not public.

Thanks for posting this Dewey. I did not know about this until your post. This post made it possible for me to call him right away. Thanks again.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » April 30th, 2013, 6:14 pm

charlie elk wrote:I don't care about the bad press - This is one of my best longtime hunting buddies!!
Just got off the phone with Jerry. He got hit bad, thinks the shooter was 15-20 yards away, the shot bowled him over. All this while he was walking a mowed path and not wearing any turkey colors.
Of course there is an active investigation and the rest of the info is private at this point. I expect to continue hunting with Jerry maybe even this week. He is one tough hombre and has never quit a hunt early or missed one. His first WI season starts tomorrow.

BTW, for what it's worth, this happened on private land not public.

Thanks for posting this Dewey. I did not know about this until your post. This post made it possible for me to call him right away. Thanks again.

Wow! He is lucky he is alive getting shot from that range. Charlie tell your buddy that we are all pulling for him and hope he has a speedy recovery. As for the turkey colors I don't care if he was wearing blue, red and white this should have never happened. Know your target!

Dewey

       

ads1

Postby ads1 » April 30th, 2013, 7:07 pm

All I can say is that the good Lord is not finished with Jerry! He is one lucky guy and for sure needs to get another long beard. We can all be thankful that he was not killed and this is a reminder that we should always be certain of our target.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 30th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Stories like this always scare me a bit and remind me that you never know what kind of clowns are out in the woods with you, even on "private" land. I can't believe that you are close friends with the victim here Charlie, small world! I'm glad to hear he'll be ok and isn't going to let this ruin turkey hunting for him.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 30th, 2013, 8:34 pm

dewey wrote: My biggest problem is how the heck do you shoot a person because he thought it was a turkey.

Jerry is a long time MN hunter safety instructor who teaches hunters how to avoid these accidents. I taught MN hunter education for 20+ years, in particular turkey hunting and its safety. As part of our volunteer instructing we have studied the anatomy of accidents.
It is extremely important for all us to understand how one of these accidental shootings happens from the shooter's perspective.
Consider the average shooter in accidents have 17+ years of hunting experience.
What?! How can this be?
A psychological condition called "premature closure"-- this is when an experience hunter's subconscious brain takes all the visual and auditory clues that he has seen and heard so many times before with approaching game; he becomes convinced a turkey is present. He prematurely closes out other conflicting ques and instead the shooter begins searching for parts of the turkey, head, wing, movement, etc.
The victim camouflaged is mostly hidden. It is the parts of the man; a white hand, piece of his cheek, ear lobe, exposed neck or t shirt that is screened by brush and moves a bit. The human form is hidden from the shooters view and a form of tunnel vision occurs. This is when the accident happens.
The shooter obviously could prevent this by pausing double and triple checking his target.
Should you ever suspect another turkey hunter is nearby talk out loud, do not move, do not get up to leave or wave. Talk, shout or yell until you get his attention because he might be convinced part of you is a turkey already.
In no way is any of the above intended to excuse the shooter. It is the shooter who has the responsibility and obligation to ensure the safety of all those around him. Never assume you are immune to becoming the shooter who causes an accident. This alone could keep you from suffering premature closure.
Last edited by charlie elk on May 3rd, 2013, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 1st, 2013, 8:42 pm

Any news on how your buddy s doing Charlie?

Dewey

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 1st, 2013, 10:17 pm

i have to say that the "premature closure" thing sure sounds like a incident i had in OK this season my buddys stopped by my camp & picked me up for a afternoon hunt we drove by a area & seen 2 gobblers walking into a area we can hunt so we pulled in & started walking to the birds & checked the birds with turkey calls & they never sounded off till 10-15 min into the walk & they were closeing distance fast so we set up the birds skirted by me unseen but my buddy seen em & wear they headed we went to cut them off & did we recalled in the same birds plus another flock & they started to fight & work back to wear we 1st set up & caught a glimpse of the birds we husseled back over to the 1st set up me in the lead i came around the corner & fully expected to see turkeys out in the field & i was a good 60 yrds away from the field entrance & then when i came into full view of the entrance of the field i say it a dark blob & what looked like a turkey head/neck pick the ground so click there goes safety but no finger on trigger & i wait to see if its a tom/jake? i keep looking & then i see the neck of the turkey turn into a guys hand with no glove on & drinking something with red on it? also seen fleshy red color near his head i turn around & say man that was way to damn close for me im outta here guys!!! we walk back to our truck & its my buddys dads truck he pulled in behind us & was moving in on our turkeys? when my buddy got back to truck i seen what the red fleshy color was near his head it was full blown SUNBURN i told him man gene i almost blwe ur arm off he said i shouldnt of came in on top of yall i said true & it maid us all way way more gun safe after that but man i was on edge the rest of the trip & still am!!! i now see how that type of thing can happen... lucky im not a trigger happy dumb dumb that dose not need to kill a turkey that damn bad but making sure of your target B4 you shoot is a must it also boggles me how people can just blast away at movement in the woods just dont get it???

Next

Return to Minnesota