Any advice ?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
younggun379

Any advice ?

Postby younggun379 » March 10th, 2009, 9:16 pm

I am new to turkey hunting. I have seen alot but never really to the time to get into it like chasin those antlers.... anyone tell me what the best thing to look for ?

silvestris

RE: Any advice ?

Postby silvestris » March 10th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Right now you are not even in a position to ask questions.  We have all been there.  Go to Tom Kelly's website and purchase the combination book/DVD "A Fork in the Road".  This will get you started properly.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 11th, 2009, 2:31 am

like silvestris read all you can the only thing i'll add buy some calls  and maybe an audio tape like ben lee's talking turkey and practice your calling i feel that being able to call well leads to success

NAZTY

Postby NAZTY » March 11th, 2009, 7:02 am

Get in the woods and get around'em. Now's a great time of the year to follow em around and figure out there habits. Start off early in the mornings and listen for em to sound off. After that just stay far enough away to not disturb em. Most of the time (if available) the hens are gonna head for an opening with gobblers in tow. This will give you a prime opportunity to watch them interact with each other and help you to "Become one with the turkeys". Pay attention to the sounds the hens are making with each of their activities and how the gobbler reacts. This will help your calling more than anything. Also pay attention at how they move through the woods. Now days people rely on calling WAY too much. Calling most definately helps, but knowing how a turkey gets around and knowing his habits will kill him a hell of a lot quicker!

longspur

Postby longspur » March 11th, 2009, 7:38 am

Great advice NAZTY. That is exactly what I would have said. I also would suggest getting a box call. Push buttons are very easy, but there is nothing that compare to the sound of a paddle style box. I also would suggest getting a diaphram call. Just practice with it. They are great when a Gobbler is close. Calling certainly is not the most important. Get a video that is instructional/with actual hunts. Listen to the birds and mimic the sounds with your calls. "So You Want to be a Turkey Hunter" was a great video, and helped me a lot. Maybe even try to find a local who is willing to help you out. Good luck this spring. Make sure you know the difference in the birds too, you don't want a run-in with the law! Good luck. -Kevin

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » March 11th, 2009, 8:33 am

I wish that I still had that ole Quaker Boy cassette tape with dick kirby going over all the calls and techniques.  I would make a few copies and send some to folks.  Me and my older brother wore that thing out in the early 80's! LOL!!! 
"Many people talk smack about their skills.....I let my beard board and spur necklaces do the talking"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 11th, 2009, 8:44 am

Go practice your calling in a State Park, that way you won't be messing yourself up in the place you intend to hunt.  Practice sitting still for long periods of time.  If you move too much while hunting, it will be game over before it even gets started good. Turkey sign doesn't lie, if there is heavy sign in a particular area, look for an ideal place to hunt it.  Make sure you are on the shady side of a tree, because even with today's camo patterns, you won't blend as well if the sun is directly on you (you will probably get too hot and not be able to sit still because of that).  When you have good hunting locations chosen, make sure you have a quiet way in (& out), so you don't alarm the birds to your presence.  Patience, patience, patience...if you are thinking about going fishing, then go, because your mind needs to be focused on turkey hunting. Pay attention to every sound and movement, if you are in an area with heavy sign, it is likely turkeys can show up at any time. Like the others havs stressed, read about turkey hunting from good authors to take advantage of their knowledge.

Hope this helps. 

Jim 
Luck Counts, good or bad

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 11th, 2009, 9:00 am

NOW IS THE TIME TO GET OUT IN THE WOODS AND TRY TO LOCATE BIRDS. GET A COUPLE OF CALLS AND LEARN HOW TO USE THEM ENOUGH.WATCH SOME DVD'S. MAKE SURE YOU PATTERN YOUR SHOT GUN TO SEE HOW IT IS SHOOTING. NOTHING LIKE GETTING THAT FIRST BIRD.!! GOOD LUCK.

younggun379

Postby younggun379 » March 11th, 2009, 10:52 am

hey yeah thanks for the info i was just wondering cause i have a good box, diaphram, locater and slates i've been playin around with and i have been really successful locating and attrackting the birds here in the past few days but my biggest thing is findin roosts but i guess those things just come with time.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 11th, 2009, 11:55 am

i can't improve on the advice you've already been given,,,VERY SOUND INDEED.

no mention of firearm training. maybe you are VERY familiar with your shotgun . O.K. are you familiar with that gun in the traditional set up position ? sittin' on your butt next to a tree? for what could be quite a while ?
it's a very unnatural position . and after being glued to the ground for a little while your muscles will begin to return to a more natural position . for example , your head and neck. your head will just naturally go away from the gunstock ,,,therefore causing the gun to shoot HIGH.
something to think about and be prepared for this and every spring and fall. seems most turkeyhunters that miss a bird ,,,SHOOT HIGH .

GOOD HUNTING

Next

Return to Strategies