Property Line Respect

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Property Line Respect

Postby Cut N Run » April 27th, 2013, 4:02 pm

I struck a gobbler back along the creek at the small horse farm this morning. He was hammering away on the limb and I eased towards the little field in the woods, (which was mowed yesterday) just up from his position. The gobbler was about 250 yards away down the creek from me. As tempted to go after him as I was, He was at least 150 yards across the property line where I couldn't hunt. He taunted me from his roost with gobbles for almost an hour before he flew down. As soon as he hit the ground, he made a B-line towards the neighbor's field (I can't hunt there either) to a favorite strut zone, where he stayed & tossed out gobbles to anyone who could hear until after 10 AM. I'm pretty sure I played this game with the same bird last year and it was frustrating to say the least. The neighbor fired up his tractor and started plowing up rows for his tobacco in that field. Game over. That gobbler probably went down across the swamp. I heard a jake gobble farther up the ridge and had a lone hen out chasing bugs in the newly mowed field from 10 to ~10:30, which made the morning more interesting.

I was hunting with a crossbow, so it would have been easy to slip towards the roost and try that bird, but that land is posted. I don't like trespassers and I'm not about to become one myself. This afternoon I went bought myself a gobble shaker and I'm going to try to make that gobbler think his territory has been invaded by a pesky young gobbler moving in on his turf. I have a hen decoy with a jake to set out to enhance the deception. I hope it works. They're calling for rain tomorrow afternoon, so I have to make it count.

I have so much work going on right now that I can only hunt on weekends. :cry: I hate to wish for a job cancellation, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

Good luck to everyone!

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Re: Property Line Respect

Postby dewey » April 27th, 2013, 5:16 pm

That sucks about the gobbler showing off on private land but going onto someone else's property without permission is a no no in my book. Had the samething happen in Kansas and I did the samething as you, grind your teeth and listen. Good luck on the next hunt Jim.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » April 28th, 2013, 6:41 am

AAAWwww .. just look at it, as having a "Turkey Refuge", right next door :lol: That's what I do :P

Ya, gotta have a supply, to re-stock the ones ya' harvest ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » April 28th, 2013, 8:42 am

I feel your pain. I have a small area to hunt and have to get the turkeys to come over to "my side". I'd love to have a nice farm or huge acres to hunt.
Twitter: @edvogler

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 28th, 2013, 10:15 pm

I know what you mean Eddie. I got access to hunt a 1,000 acre farm this year and tagged one gobbler off it and called another in for my best friend to tag. What I learned is that there are 5 other guys hunting that land too and I was lucky to get the birds I did. I probably wouldn't know how to act if I had that big piece to myself.

I figured that I'd go hunt the small farm and possibly get a crack at the big gobbler out there. He hasn't gotten old by being careless and he schooled me once last year. Everything is going to have to work out right for me to get him. I'm due out there though. Trouble is that work keeps getting in my way. I may get to hunt on Thursday morning, otherwise, it is weekends only for me.

Good luck when you go, wherever it is.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 29th, 2013, 6:48 am

Good luck with your strategy. It's a good 'un. Usin' a gobble shaker and cuttin', cacklin' with a mouth call has killed more than one for me :D
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » April 29th, 2013, 5:33 pm

congrats cut n run on the longbeard you harvested this spring im happy you broke the ice after you bad luck last season!!! i feel your pain got my 1st MN turkey in 3-4 yrs on wednesday im still on cloud 9 lol

i hunt alot of public land & most the time if nothing stands out on a map or when i get there i hit the property fence line & work my way in ward i routinely call birds off private land & feel no shame in doing so but i could trespass onto private land many times & nobody would be any wiser but i have to just back off & cuss at that bird & move on or give em time as its not worth the time or trouble to risk trying a be a sneak & hope a fence you cant hunt... i see it alot in KS/OK the locals make you feel like a idiot if you tell them you passed up some turkeys on private land cuz you didnt have permission to hunt the land they say oh nobody cares out here & just go hunt em??? i mean i herd that 5-6 times in KS alone this yr??? no shame about trespassing???

1000 acres 5 guys plus you it dose not sound crowded but i bet them birds dont use all 1000 acres so i bet it is a little tite for 5 guys im a kinda anti social when it come to hunting with strange hunters on any peace of land private or public...

happy safe hunting cut n run

Norman_N

Postby Norman_N » April 30th, 2013, 10:27 am

I had similar experiences when I lived on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario in NY. I had access to about 1,000 acres with of course neighboring property owners with no access. Myself would never push the envelope and set up along the property lines to coax a bird to me but rather set up far enough away where there would be no questions asked if I took a shot. They knew I would be out there and vice versa and I shared the property with 4 other hunters. We all had the understanding on where to and not to hunt. Nothing would ruin it more when someone with a badge shows up questioning where you were because someone made a phone call.

Even now since I've moved back to my home state of NH , I hunt public land and if land next to it is posted , I'm not setting up close to the property line. And if there's home within viewing distance of some birds that I happen to bumble across during a hunt posted or not. I'll pull away and put some distance on where I may set up. Today we have to be extra careful with some people be extra sensitive to guns and guns shooting near there homes.

Good luck the rest of your seasons ! You southern hunters already have a big head start on me , have to wait til friday for our opener here . ;)

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » April 30th, 2013, 12:20 pm

private on private land property lines are 1 story yes there will always be a animal lover who dose not like hunters & mite call a CO & that puts the owner of the land you are on in a tite spot if then guy next store keeps calling the the law every time you fire a weapon... in many areas wear there are populations of people that do not that may be the case but in 98% of wear i hunt if somebody heres i gun shot they know its hunting season & thats a non issue... hunters on the ajoining property would be the guys calling the CO in the areas i hunt to see if you were on your side of the fence when you shot the bird deer ETC...

but on public lands i will sit write on the fence line & try to call birds across the fence to public land? many times its best to sit off the property line not to be overly non hunter sensitive & cut the birds a break but if you sit on the fence line the birds are way more likely to stay on the private land side & look for the un seen hen calling... if you dont hunt a certin are due to a house being in view thats fine somebody else like me will hunt that land & get them birds but im not a house hunter my-self i hunt very rural country & in farm hunting type communitys to avoid homes & property issues & people calling somebody on me i also stay legal for the same reason & hunt mostly public land for the same reason...

the hole WALK IN HUNTING LAND thing creates a hole other set of issues as in states like MN/KS/SD wear i hunt many not so legal hunters use these private lands enrolled in public hunting lands to access other private lands not enrolled in the programs & abuse writes we were give n & mess things up for us all in doing so... we had guys in MN come running down to beat us 2 a fence line while we were pheasant hunting they raced down in a truck hoped out & started nailing private land signs up along the fence while birds flushed all around them with no guns man they were rude but im sure they had nightmares of us tresspassing on there land & wrecking there hunt or land but they really dicked us in doing so so???

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 1st, 2013, 6:18 am

I'll be hunting some public gamelands a few counties east of here tomorrow. I took the day off work and nobody's getting in my way. I've been logging some killer long hours at work lately and need a break. A buddy of mine has been hunting there a few times and says there are almost no other hunters hunting that land during mid-week. He talks like it is some seriously thick, swampy country, but he's been hearing 6-8 gobblers each morning he's hunted there. He took a friend last week and called in that guy's first for him. I plan to take a pocket camera along for fun.

I didn't get to hunt last Sunday like I planned, so I'm going to try that horse farm gobbler again this weekend if I don't tag out tomorrow.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion