TURKEY JUNKY's BUTT KICKED OUT WEST!!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

TURKEY JUNKY's BUTT KICKED OUT WEST!!!

Postby turkey junky » April 21st, 2013, 6:58 pm

well boys i got my A** handed to me out west i posted the story & on the TEAM 1 thread under BUTT KICKED OUT WEST or BUTT HANDED TO ME OUT WEST? any way you get the point it was not the best turkey hunting trip ever but we all ended up with turkeys & plenty of storys & close caslls but if you want to read more got to the TEAM 1 THREAD & check out my story!!! spring snow storm WANDA wrecked my hunt lol that my story & im stick n to it lol

Gopherlongbeards

Re: TURKEY JUNKY's BUTT KICKED OUT WEST!!!

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 21st, 2013, 8:20 pm

Was thinkin about you out there TJ, glad you were able to put a few on the ground. I ended up postponing my black hills trip until may due to all the snow they got up in the hills.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 23rd, 2013, 6:14 am

Great story! Weather can really screw up the best laid plans :evil: . I hope all this junk clears out before I take my MO, KS trip next week!!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » April 23rd, 2013, 4:36 pm

We drove to arrived in KS the day before the opener.. 45 minutes from our destination it was 75, we hit our destination with 31 degrees and sleet.. Awoke to a car covered in ice.. But surprisingly the birds were on fire.. My girlfriend yelped up and killed a longbeard that a.m. and I could have been done in one shot but I thought they were over the line.. I was shocked considering the huge front, snow, sleet and wind.. We ended up killing out on hunts after noon.. Found a nest being incubated on day one which explains the last sentence..

Usually the black hills of WY are a slam dunk for us, one day and done.. But we got in WY and it started snowing and blowing like I have never seen.. 40mph winds.. All the birds were with the cattle on private ground.. I was so pissed at the weather the first day, I got in my PJs and watched Scooby doo.. Sal went out by herself and was back in 1 hr with blood on her hands killing a long beareded bird for the hills at 9.5.. I only worked 2 birds both 100 yards over the land on private ground.. I wanted to stay another day, but opted out as they were forecasted for another 8-12..

Our destination in SD got the same 16 inches as you encountered.. Most of ours was gone on our arrival.. The first morning I hunted, I was greeted with 4 inches of the white stuff and struck and killed one 15 minutes after shooting light.. The weather remained absolutely horrible while we were in SD, the birds gobbled the first 20 minutes after flydown and for an hour before flyup, but we had one of our best years there. :? If you got in tight to the roost or caught one in the evening they commited suicide.

I swear we had a snow cloud attached to our reese hitch.. The weather made it very difficult to stay motivated much less enjoy hunting.. Looking at the looming weather, I about canceled our whole trip.. Figured it would be a waste of money, or birds would be killed strictly through crawling. I think the whole time we were gone we had 2 nice days one in KS and one in SD.. Between the mud and snow, it was very difficult to get anywhere we wanted to hunt..

dewey

Postby dewey » April 29th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Here are some pictures of turkey junky, his cousin and his dads turkeys they got.

Congratulations to you guys.

Dewey
Attachments
TJ and 2 Rio's at the crime scene.jpg
TJ and 2 Rio's at the crime scene.jpg (151.83 KiB) Viewed 235 times
TJ and cousin with Rios.jpg
TJ and cousin with Rios.jpg (145.47 KiB) Viewed 235 times
TJ's cousin's Rio.jpg
TJ's cousin's Rio.jpg (137.97 KiB) Viewed 235 times
TJ and dad with Rios.jpg
TJ and dad with Rios.jpg (143.46 KiB) Viewed 235 times
TJ's dad with Rio.jpg
TJ's dad with Rio.jpg (148.07 KiB) Viewed 235 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » April 29th, 2013, 2:19 pm

T.J. .. that's why they call it huntig, isn't it?? ;)
I never like to hunt in foul weather anymore, either :lol:

Sure sounds like ya' made the best of what ya' had to work with, congrats :D
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion