2013 Indiana Tom

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
hootowl

2013 Indiana Tom

Postby hootowl » April 26th, 2013, 8:44 am

My Opening started out with, Light Rain droping temps and Light Snow.I thought to myself wow I am Glad I brought the Blind? After Getting to the woods around 5:30am, And New where they should be? I started to my location, The woods was flooded Bad, as we had recived appx 2" of rain the Night before, So my spot was flooded,2nd spot was on some Higher Ground. I was set up and nothing for the longest time (Quite). I thought I would do some Light Calling, and all of a sudden I was cut off during my calling, This bird was close, and by now it around 7am, I make another Call, and Bam he answers me, Closing in, I wait about 5 minutes, and call again nothing, so I shut up and let Him search. I hear some drumming and look outside my side window and there he is, About 50 yards to my left, I make a couple soft Calls and he is On a string to my Hen Decoy, and is putting on a show, Like no other, I raised my gun and decided to take this Tom. So at 7:35am I had my Bird and My season was over, He weighed 24 lbs, 11.5 inch Beard, and 7/8 inch spurs. I was happy as I had never worked a Bird with my Mouth call Only, as I had been working with the Mouth Call, very hard to Add to my Calling. Image

Steve_In

Re: 2013 Indiana Tom

Postby Steve_In » April 26th, 2013, 8:56 am

Nice gobbler :D Looks like you have the calling working well. I used to hunt a creek bottom that flooded regular. What part of Indiana you hunting?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

hootowl

Re: 2013 Indiana Tom

Postby hootowl » April 26th, 2013, 9:55 am

Steve,
I am Hunting some private Ground up in Cass.Co, almost in White Co. I also Deer Hunt the same Ground, Its a Smaller woods about 60 acers, and is Loaded with Birds, Every year I see several Gobblers that would be 24+ in lbs and Huge Beards. It really is'nt close to any Creeks, It was because we got almost 2.5 inches of Rain the night before on top of a Very wet Spring. I just wish my season was'nt over, I have to Call for a Guy, this wed and another on Thursday, So I guess its still going On.

Hoot.

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!