Dewey's Kansas 2013 spring hunt

dewey

Dewey's Kansas 2013 spring hunt

Postby dewey » April 23rd, 2013, 3:09 pm

Kansas 2013 spring turkey hunting trip. Short version one jake and a good time hunting with a good friend. Long, long winded version see below. :lol:

After driving 9 hours from Minneapolis to southern Kansas, with 8 of those hours being in the rain, I arrived at the WIHA a buddy and I planned on hunting. I spent an hour or so driving around the WIHA lands trying to see what hand I was dealt and trying to roost and turkeys to no luck. Thursday morning I got out to some WIHA land and hunted a few locations with no luck and after a few hours I decided to move to another location. After driving the WIHA land again I decided to start hunting an area I thought looked good from Google Earth so as I was moving along the edge of the field I spotted some turkeys around the bend working my way. I got done and watched them to see if they were hens/jakes or toms. After realizing they were coming my way I got down got my gun up and saw 6 jakes come around the corner at 25 yards. I figured what the heck I have 2 tags and once one jake cleared the group I dropped him. The other 5 jakes stood around for 5 minutes trying to figure out what happened and I could have easily dropped another one but that last tag was now designated for a mature gobbler. After taking some in the field photos with the jake I saw a black object moving around in the picked cornfield. I slowly made my way towards the object hugging the tree line until I got about 50 yards away and realized it was a raccoon. I spent the rest of the day set up on the edge of a field trying to catch some toms on the way to the roost when I heard one on the other side of the creek from me so I decided to back track and get closer to him. Or course as I do this he is coming in the direction I was originally set up in but I did see him enter the trees near roosting time at the corner of public land. Friday morning we get out to the spot where I roosted the tom from the day before and my buddy bumps a hen on the way in. We must have been about 10 minutes to late as she scatters and takes the rest with her. Friday night I roosted some toms from my spot on a road but they were on private land. Saturday morning I set up about 30 yards South of the public-private land boundary along a single row of trees thinking if I could get one of those 2-4 gobbling toms interested I could get them to come my way across the land boundary. Of course the time I think they are getting closer a rancher comes by with his tractor and scares them off.

I then go check out another spot and see a strutter and two hens in a picked corn field flanked by woods that make a triangular shape with the smallest end being where I started and opening up as I head southwest. So I set up facing Southwest against a good sized tree and start doing some calling. About 5 minutes later a hen starts clucking at me off to my left at 15 yards and behind me I hear some footsteps in the leaves but he/she never appears and after I try to stand and peak around the corner slowly nothing is there. So I start working my way around the field edge and I bust about 5-8 turkeys laying down in the grass and they start taking off so I decided quickly to run after them trying to break them up and hopefully call them back. After 30 minutes of calling nothing was going on so I go for lunch but I planned on coming back later that afternoon.

I get back about 3:30 and get set up about 75 yards from a good trail between two pine trees that make a great natural blind and start calling with my box call about every 20 minutes or so. About 5:30 I hear a gobble so I let him wait about 5 minutes then give him some more yelps and he hammers back in what I think is from the other side of the pine tree. So gun is up and ready to go and ready for him to walk out from that pine tree then…nothing happens. I start to slowly start to look around and see that there are two good toms right where the trail that I walked in at 75 yards away. So I try to give them some soft yelps and purring. One starts heading my way until the second one turns and walks away leading the other one with him. Those were two very good looking toms as they were strutting and gobbling from 75 yards with their cream colored fan ends in the dimming sunlight. So I buzz around to try and do some roosting and as I stop by the place I started that night a gobbler hammers back at me after I use my crow call. I drive slowly out trying to see him from the road and sure enough there he is 25 feet from the road and 20 feet up. He was lucky it is illegal to shoot roosted turkeys in Kansas or he was dead.

No problem I thought my buddy and I will set up in that small field the next morning. I tell my buddy that if that tom starts towards him to shoot him and not try to save him for me…he just smiles and said “You had your chance and if I do he is dead.” So we get there plenty early and figured that there was 3 ways for that gobbler to go and 2 of them he would die. He landed about 110 yards from me and followed a hen as they take the safe option and head across the road to private land.

All in all it was a good trip and I was happy to harvest a jake the first day. However I am disappointed that, in my opinion, two mistakes were key in me failing to harvest one of those gobblers Saturday evening. I think one mistake was my set up location as I should have been closer to the trail as in my experience turkeys will take the trails as it is easier for them and secondly in the corner of a field I should have been using decoys, possibly a couple of feeding hens and jake, as they were looking for the hen that they heard. :x

Once again picked cornfields in Kansas is where were we saw the most birds and secondly make sure to look at Google Earth WIHA maps good before you get there because sometimes the land that is enrolled in WIHA is nothing more than pasture land with no trees at all. I would recommend Kansas as a spot for nonresident hunters as the WIHA maps are very user friendly and the people I have come across in Kansas are very nice and friendly.

I will add photos from the trip as I get them downloaded.

Dewey
Attachments
Kansas Rio_4-11-2013_1 (Copy).jpg
Kansas Rio_4-11-2013_1 (Copy).jpg (209.44 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Dewey's Kansas 2013 spring hunt

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 25th, 2013, 7:40 am

Sounds like a good trip Dewey! congrats on the Jake. Don't sweat the mistakes too much, hard to know whether they would have changed the outcome anyways. Sometimes the turkeys have to win ;)

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 26th, 2013, 4:29 am

Good job Dewey.

Hey what type of shotgun is that?
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » April 27th, 2013, 6:13 pm

kygobbler wrote:Hey what type of shotgun is that?

Browning Silver Hunter 12 gauge semi automatic. I love it and it has always been good to me.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 28th, 2013, 10:42 am

good times dewey, congrats on your jake.....and good luck next week, hope you get to squeeze one off w/ the purty gun..... 8-)
David

You never know, unless you go

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 28th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Sounds like a good hunt. Beware of the that 20/20 hindsight, if you had done what you think you should have done then you'd be thinking you should have done what you did. :?
Old guide advice "always shoot on the first day what you would shoot on the last day of a hunt" so you did good congratulations. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 28th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Congratulations on a successful hunt Dewey. Thanks for posting the story too. Good luck the rest of the way.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Postby dewey » April 28th, 2013, 10:34 pm

charlie elk wrote:Beware of the that 20/20 hindsight, if you had done what you think you should have done then you'd be thinking you should have done what you did. :?

I, like most hunters I think, look at the missed opportunities and try to figure out what I could/should have done differently then I think you are not getting better as a hunter. However like you said the samething could have happened had I done things the other way.

Had I had only one tag I would have passed on that Jake but since I had two tags it made the decision easy.

After hunting north central KS last spring and south central Kansas this spring I think I will be hunting north central Kansas north spring.

Dewey

       

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 29th, 2013, 6:34 am

Great story! Us turkey hunters are always second guessing ourselves and assimilating info to make ourselves better.
I haven't hunted S. KS any. I have always hunted in the NE part of the state and it's been good to me. I leave for there this coming
Thurs. I hope the weather is better than the most recent forecast.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 29th, 2013, 8:19 am

10/4 we turkey hunters are always trying figure out what would have worked better.
If the turkey is not laying on the ground then charlie's ("woulda - shoulda - coulda") rule applies. In this case it is Dewey's rule. ;)

Good hunting. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Next

Return to Kansas