A long time coming...

arrowsonly

A long time coming...

Postby arrowsonly » April 25th, 2013, 9:39 pm

I started coming to MN around 2000 in search of some public land were I could hunt & camp from the same spot. With the help of Roger at Beaver Creek Valley State Park, I was able to find that and a place to "bow" hunt without being "bumped" by the gun hunters. Not to mention the safety aspects of Archery turkey hunting; totally hidden inside a double bull blind, making turkey sounds, with a mounted hen decoy, you get the picture...

I found places were I could camp, hunt, plus ride my bike, and pull a trailer with all my stuff. Then over the years everybody started coming there, on my way to my new spot I stopped. There were 3 trailers, 2/4 guys at each plus 4 wheeler's; I got out took one look around, left em' a little somethin', & left !

That was the start to the best turkey hunt in a long time...

That was Sunday afternoon, opening morning was raining, windy & cold so I didn't sit till 10 am or so...
I could here em' across the river in a beautiful field on top of a plateau about 800 yards away, but NO WAY !
It's to cold, across the swamp with blow downs every were, and straight UP HILL !
So let's try location # 2 about a mile or so away on a minimum maintenance road; anyone from MN knows what I mean, SLOW washed out gravel & rocks all over. Some land that was donated to the state; a blipp on the radar if that, thanks GOOGLE MAPS, some Amish kids helped me find the gate.
A house, tool shed, & a barn on top a oak ridge all abandon, since the 90's walk 400 yards and just sit on the porch. Maybe go inside & start a fire in the wood stove ? the draw was good..

It's 3 pm & not a turkey noise period, now what ? There were beer cans ever were for a half mile plus; so I drove up one side then down the other, 1/4 of my truck bed is filled in less than 1 hour...
The cabin I am staying at is right down the road from the Filmore County recycling center, perfect unload, shoot the bull, and get ready for tomorrow...

The next morning was similar to the opener except light snow replaced the rain & the winds were 20 mph plus with gusts over 30 and temps around 25 degrees, once again I struggled to get in the truck since I needed to scrape. It's late April not early November, by the time I got to my blind I was plenty warm and excited to hear several different toms gobbling about 400 yards deep in the woods. They soon flew down and got with a few of the very vocal hens that were back there also then like always, silence by 8 am.

My double bull was tucked under a couple of 30 foot cedars at an intersection of two fence line roads and a game trail that crossed a stubble field on my right; a smaller field to my left with the river & a 300 foot cliff as it's boarder. It gave me 250 degrees of clean shooting for 40/50 yards out, blacked out behind me with nothing but fence line and field as far as you can see since we are not far from Iowa. It was so cold & windy, decided to close up my blind and crank up the heater.If I am gunna' sit for 12 hours or more it is in comfort; food, coffee pot, chair, black wool blanket, the only thing I don't have is Wi-Fi...

I was sleeping in no time, only to be woke up by Yap, Yap, Yap, & Yap, Yap, Yap ! I pull down my silent window to find two hens @ 6 yards and they are pissed, who is that new girl in the neighborhood it's Anna Nichole my mounted hen.
I pulled down some of the netting in front only to see a "BIG" fan walking down the trail in my direction and he also is not to happy with that Jake getting ready for some lovin' with his girlfriends. There was plenty of time to position myself and open the netting a little farther. He was spittin' & drummin' at 12 yards for what seemed like forever, I was thinking of passing since it was only the 2nd day, then I came to my senses and pulled the trigger...

My bolt was through him in a flash, the hens putted several times then circled around for a moment wondering what just happened as the tom flapped his wings helplessly then became motionless & silent. I was almost sad to see him that way after seeing him in all his glory just moments before; the steam as it blew from his beak while he gobbled, I could feel the vibrations of his wings, his feathers glistening in the sun, he was beautiful...
Last edited by arrowsonly on April 26th, 2013, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

kygobbler

Re: A long time coming...

Postby kygobbler » April 26th, 2013, 12:24 am

arrowsonly wrote: It was so cold & windy, decided to close up my blind and crank up the heater.If I am gunna' sit for 12 hours or more it is in comfort; food, coffee pot, chair, black wool blanket, the only thing I don't have is Wi-Fi...

How big is that blind because it sounds more like a little hotel room. :lol: Nice story, congrats on getting the gobbler.

dewey

Postby dewey » April 26th, 2013, 9:46 am

Congratulations on the gobbler arrows! Sounds like you had a great setup with the blind and all the features a guy could want.

No pictures?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 26th, 2013, 10:47 am

Great hunt Arrows and a great story! glad your trip went so well! I know what you mean about being a little sad when it's over. Sometimes I get the crocodile tears myself after ending the show...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 28th, 2013, 10:26 am

Way to go on a nice gobbler and a great hunt.
Got some pics?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » April 29th, 2013, 5:50 pm

im happy everything all worked out for you scottie & you had another dream hunt in MN once again it took me awhile for me to get my MN bird ass well only 3-4 yrs lol

lets see them pics buddy your bird sounds like a stud better thank them amish kids for showing you around the area lol

Return to Minnesota