Team #2 2013 Gobbler harvest thread

dewey

Re: Team #2 2013 Gobbler harvest thread

Postby dewey » April 23rd, 2013, 10:20 pm

I posted my Kansas hunting trip recap under the Kansas state thread.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » April 24th, 2013, 12:25 pm

Great Bird Eggshell,

Our Ontario season opens tomorrow morning, so packing my 8 year old along with all the other stuff you need and heading to the woods. I'll report with the results if anything warrants. Calling for a breezy, cool night with rain, so not sure if the birds will be in their usual spots or not. Should be interesting and maybe they'll be in the fields with the rain.

More at 11, am, tomorrow morning, maybe,

TurkeyJohn
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 24th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Good luck tj, have fun and be safe.....
David

You never know, unless you go

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » April 24th, 2013, 6:50 pm

ylpnfol wrote:Well not really sure if this counts or not but here goes. I took the landowners son this morn. I had a plan to get one early if they were where I hoped, cuz he had to leave early to take his kid to t-ball. Couldnt have worked any better. Gobbler gobbles,I call couple times no response. No more calling from me. Gobbler flies down. I hit glass call. Do fly down cackle,gobbles back. Hen sails off hill lands 60 yds away. Starts feeding our way.Tom is gobbling every now and then getting closer.He pops out into field halfway down hill. Runs to bottom of hill. Crosses a small ditch and jogs, strutting up to decoys which are 15 yds in front of me. Partner shoots, I think he missed, bird got airbourne, shoots again, hit it but bird still gaining, his gun jammed, I swing and knock it down. So it was a team effort so to speak. Verrry good hunt. Done by 6:35. Season is young. Hopefully another opportunity will present itself if'n this one is dq'd :shock: ... dang if my partner didn't miss again today, i'm beginning to see a pattern..... :evil: Hey, how 'bout that hat 8-)

good job sounds like you followed through on your swing.

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » April 24th, 2013, 7:00 pm

didn't do very well on my Osceola hunt the weather and the birds didn't cooperate this year. All the gobblers we saw were henned up and not very vocal. We never heard one gobble from the roost which was probably due to the much colder then normal weather. We had one Jake come in to see what we were all about but that was the only gobbler that got close enough to shoot. My dad and I had quality time together reminiscing on days and hunts gone by. He even said as long as he stayed healthy and his Parkinson's doesn't get worse he wants to go next year. All in all it was a great time as usual.

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » April 24th, 2013, 7:08 pm

looks like I'll will get to hunt more then I thought. I help a friend on his Gould hunt the 8-10th of May then I'll be able to archery hunt May 13th through the 23rd and should have a good shot at getting one.

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » April 25th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Well Boys, my First hunt was tough. Went to Cloudcroft and everyone was right. There was a truck every 200 yards on every road we went on. So we loaded up the packs and hiked in as far and as high as we could, Actually got busted by a few birds, but never got close enough to take a shot. Seemed like there was an ATV going by every tem minutes. My bet is they scared all the birds so deep you'd have to get Sherpas to get you that far back. Wasn't for the lack of trying though. I plan on going out tomorrow after I am done, and again Sunday Early. Then Next weekend up North to my Honey hole, and the next weekend after that. And any day I can get done early.
Yeah my names Tom, guess I am a bit of a Turkey myself!

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » April 25th, 2013, 1:11 pm

So, just to head everything off at the pass. I had my 8 year old out with me this morning, playing hooky from school to be in the turkey woods with Dear old Dad. Had him set up in a chair blind with his DS, in camo, but no firearm or call, just observing with a pair of those video glasses in case we could video our hunt.

So, after listening to his Mom tell me and warn me, that he would "ruin" the hunt and that I'd be so upset when we got back, we decided to go anyway. He was up like a trooper at 3:30 with Dad and was listening and doing everything he was asked just perfectly.

We get into the Jeep and take off for the 1/2 hour drive to get to our spot where I've taken birds consistently for years. Me thinks he had a snooze on route, he was that quiet. But that's ok.

We carry all our gear, the decoys, the blind, the snacks, oh yeah, the gun, still fully encased, well before daybreak into the spot I though we'd have a chance at.

We get all set up and wait, and wait, for all of 20 minutes, then he asks, when the turkeys would start. All I could think of was of what his Mom told me. I asked him to wait and be patient, turn his DS down and go ahead and play, I'd tell him when something was up.

Well, about 5:15, we get the first gobble, then another, then another, every 5 minutes or so, they were going off. A ways off, but at least we knew we were in the game.

Then, as soon as it had started it got quieter and quieter, the gobbling less constant until you'd only hear one every 15 minutes or so. Well, you know what happened, are we done yet, can we go, it all started. I asked again for patience explaining the birds were just hitting the ground and we may now be in the game all the way. Mind you, the last gobbles we heard sounded like they were moving away.

Around 7:45 we see a hen pop out of the woods across the field from us. I tell the boy to keep an eye on her to see if she has company. Sure enough, out comes Mr. Jake in full strut, middle feathers higher than the rest so that's for sure anyway and a little beard. Well, they move along the field and I'm thinking crap, they're not turning our way and I can't see where they're headed. So, I slide up out of my spot and move to a pine tree beside me to stand and see what's up. They had moved but closer to us. I had forgotten about a bend in the field and they were working along the edge, him strutting the whole way. I squat back down and wait.........

At around 8, the Mrs. is 12 feet from me and he's about 10 feet farther back. I'm not sure if she saw me, the boy says he stuck his head out of the blind and it was him she saw. Well, anyway, she lets out a Putt, the Jake jumps over her farther into the field, worked better for the shot anyway. But, the 2 of them were lined up and I had to wait for her to vacate to have a clean shot at him. I had decided beforehand that if a legal bird came out while I had my son with me, we'd try to harvest and not wait for another.

So, I shoot the Jake and my boy and I have one of those great moments together. He's claiming he helped by spooking her, so I'm letting him share the credit.

Noot real big, but my son thinks he's pretty cool. He weighed 14 and 1/2 pounds, little 1/4 inch spurs and a 4 and 1/2 inch beard. No monster, but legal.

Looking back, I had been using a strutter decoy and I think he worked to lure the hen in who was looking for someone more worthy than the Jake chasing her. Had one of the new spinner motors on it and have to admit, it looked pretty good with the feeding hen and alert hen I had with him.

Here's the proud boy,

Leeds and the Thousand Islands-20130425-00237.jpg
Leeds and the Thousand Islands-20130425-00237.jpg (197.07 KiB) Viewed 628 times

I do hope everyone else was able to have as good a morning,

TurkeyJohn
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

dewey

Postby dewey » April 25th, 2013, 3:11 pm

That is a great way to spend the day TJ. Congratulations on harvesting the jake with your son.

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on May 4th, 2013, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 25th, 2013, 3:30 pm

atta boy tj, hopefully jr. is on his way to being a turkey slayer one day....congrats.....good luck to everyone else on the team, looks like everybody is hunting now, or will be soon, it's all good..... :)
David

You never know, unless you go

PreviousNext

Return to Team 2