Question for the pros

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
icon52

Question for the pros

Postby icon52 » April 23rd, 2013, 6:20 am

I'm hunting a new piece of land this spring one other guy has permission for the same piece of land I got set down this morning and the turkeys were gobbling after about a Half hour 630 am I herd the other guy shoot about 150 to 200 yards away my question is in that situation is it worth sticking around or is the rest of the day ruined its been about a hour and haven't herd a gobble since

onpoint

Re: Question for the pros

Postby onpoint » April 23rd, 2013, 6:53 am

I'm no pro, but my experience is that turkeys can get stressed from being shot around and seeing the predator that caused all the ruckus. Your fellow hunter may have run out to pick up his prize before letting the rest of the birds get out of sight. Turkeys hear loud noises all the time, thunder, etc., but loud booms combined with seeing the human predator isn't good. I don't know how big the property is, but if there's enough room, find an area where there's a good amount of sign and do some VERY soft callin' (clucks, purrs, very soft yelpin' and scratchin' in the leaves) every 20-30 min . A deke would be nice if ya' got one. Save the aggressive stuff for another day. If one fires up on his own, then ya' can crank it up some.. I wouldn't expect him to come in snortin' and blowin'. Keep your eyes peeled, head on a swivel, and any movement SLOW and deliberate. I'm assumin' from your post that you're in a state that allows all-day huntin' :roll: Given enough time, the birds will start actin' like turkeys again. Hope this helps and good luck!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 23rd, 2013, 7:35 am

icon52 wrote: its been about a hour and haven't herd a gobble since

Are sending a question to here from your turkey setup?!
If so...
I know it is different age we live in now than the one I grew up in. So let me humbly suggest while you are turkey hunting focus on the turkeys in the woods not on the screen of whatever device...
Forgive me if I come across as an old guy its probably because I am.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

icon52

Postby icon52 » April 23rd, 2013, 8:02 am

Thanks on point I greatly appreciate it thanks to you to Charlie your reply couldn't have been anymore helpful to my question

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 23rd, 2013, 8:30 am

charlie elk wrote:
icon52 wrote: its been about a hour and haven't herd a gobble since

Are sending a question to here from your turkey setup?!
If so...
I know it is different age we live in now than the one I grew up in. So let me humbly suggest while you are turkey hunting focus on the turkeys in the woods not on the screen of whatever device...
Forgive me if I come across as an old guy its probably because I am.
Good hunting.

I'm posting from the woods, it is a different world for sure, I haven't been busted yet, phone only comes out of my pocket during the lulls, but I would bet ill get busted before its all said and done, then I might not have a phone anymore :shock:
Oh and did I mention that I'm old as well..... ;)
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 23rd, 2013, 9:56 am

ylpnfol wrote:I'm posting from the woods, it is a different world for sure, I haven't been busted yet, phone only comes out of my pocket during the lulls, but I would bet ill get busted before its all said and done, then I might not have a phone anymore
Oh and did I mention that I'm old as well.....

If your old then I must be a relic or dinosaur. ;) But hey I just upgraded to a flip phone so I'm moving along in the new age too. :lol:

icon52 wrote:to Charlie your reply couldn't have been anymore helpful to my question

Here is the thread, where, I think, I answered your question in a helpful and detailed way-
Do Turkeys Have Memories?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18377

One more little tip to both of you- Look up from your screens, there, no over there on the right, isn't that a turkey looking at you? :o I'm sure it was. ;)
Good luck and enjoy your hunts. I'll be back out tomorrow totally out of touch with society and all its glamour. ;)
later,
charlie

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 23rd, 2013, 10:19 am

If you guys are old, then I'm a stick in the mud. My phone only dials out or gets calls in. It doesn't text, go online, shoot video, or do any of that other fancy stuff. It is a stupid phone, not a smart phone, but it works....most of the time. I do carry it with me when I'm hunting (with the ringer turned off) just in case I need to call for help or celebrate a successful hunt.

Back on topic. I think how turkeys respond to shots depends on how early in the season it is and how often they hear shooting throughout the year. I used to hunt a piece of land near a shooting club where guns might be firing any time the sky was bright. The deer and turkeys just were not affected by the sound because they heard it all the time. This year, I watched a couple of turkeys gobble back at gun shots at another place I hunt where the neighbor was out target practicing. Every time he'd fire, the gobblers would fire back. Also, there's no telling how many times I've killed a gobbler and had another one come running in to beat him up when he's down. Turkeys hear thunder all the time. Like onpoint said, if the turkeys can associate the sound of a shot with seeing a human, that's not good.

Good luck to you hunting that land.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 23rd, 2013, 10:34 am

charlie elk wrote:
ylpnfol wrote:I'm posting from the woods, it is a different world for sure, I haven't been busted yet, phone only comes out of my pocket during the lulls, but I would bet ill get busted before its all said and done, then I might not have a phone anymore
Oh and did I mention that I'm old as well.....

If your old then I must be a relic or dinosaur. ;) But hey I just upgraded to a flip phone so I'm moving along in the new age too. :lol:

icon52 wrote:to Charlie your reply couldn't have been anymore helpful to my question

Here is the thread, where, I think, I answered your question in a helpful and detailed way-
Do Turkeys Have Memories?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18377

One more little tip to both of you- Look up from your screens, there, no over there on the right, isn't that a turkey looking at you? :o I'm sure it was. ;)
Good luck and enjoy your hunts. I'll be back out tomorrow totally out of touch with society and all its glamour. ;)

Well I made it out w/out being busted, I had a flip phone for years served me well, the little lady ( the geek of the house ) insisted I have this hi falutin phone , I have come to like it, now that the lite doesn't bother my eyes anymore , but I do agree that I shouldn't play w/ it so much while I'm hunting, oh well, beam me up Scotty ( in reference to the flip phone ) :D
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 28th, 2013, 9:16 am

One of the main reasons I hunt is to leave society behind. I am amazed at the number of hunters that like to bring it with them via cell phone.

I can remember a time, before cell phones, when I would be in N Wis for a month or so and call my wife once a week from the pay phone in town, just to let her know I was still alive.

I have spent a week alone in the mountains of Colorado and when I came out I would stumble my words because I hadn't said anything for so long.

Turkeys absolutely do not always putt when they see danger. I am sure I have busted way more turkeys than I can imagine. When one is immersed in their electronic device they can be busted and never know it. When one gets bored they will turn to the device more and more and have the opportunity to be busted...and never know it.

To each his own for sure in this case...but I will continue to immerse myself in my surroundings while I am hunting.

I think one of my best assets as a hunter is the fact that I just like being out there. I don't have to always have turkey action to be enjoying the outdoors.

I do have a smart phone now (smarter than me I believe :D ) but it does not go with me. For 2 reasons, one being I would probably wreck it somehow and the other is I don't want that connection. My wife does want me to be able to communicate now in case of emergency and she is probably right. So she bought me a small flip phone. I carry it wrapped up in a plastic bag with the power off.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 28th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Treerooster wrote:when I came out I would stumble my words because I hadn't said anything for so long.

If you stay out longer you'll start talking to yourself then you won't experience this speak impediment.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion