Copper pot calls?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
spitten and drummen

Re: Copper pot calls?

Postby spitten and drummen » April 20th, 2013, 11:20 am

Just recieved my copper in a pink ivory pot along with a mahogany and iron wood striker from Larry gresser and I will just say this. I definantly did not make a mistake purchasing this call. The only mistake that was made was on that gobbler who heard it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (830.54 KiB) Viewed 157 times
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 20th, 2013, 8:27 pm

I resized it for you.

image.jpg
image.jpg (187.62 KiB) Viewed 149 times

Nice gobbler. Does that call have a lot of rasp to it?

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 21st, 2013, 9:47 am

First thanks for resizing it. It just depends on the striker more or less to me. The mahogany had more of a higher pitch pop in the yelp. Actually it sounds good but has just a touch of rasp. The iron wood is more mid tone that drops into a solid nasally rasp. I love hard nasty rasp but I found out hunting pressured birds that it seems everyone else likes that nasty rasp and for good reason that's what most hens we hear sound like. Latter in the season I tend to go with the more clear yelp with light rasp just trying to give them something they haven't been hammered with all season and it works pretty well for me. Sorry for getting off point but for a short answer you can get it pretty raspy with different strikers plus to me copper has its own unique sound. Sounds great and apparently the bird I had been after 10 days and had no luck with as arsenal of different calls fell victim to it.
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 22nd, 2013, 10:09 pm

Your welcome and thanks. I've never used a copper pot so I was curious on how they sound.

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 25th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I will tell you this. It is my new favorite pot call surface. I'm glad I got it and I will be using a whole lot in the future. I liked Larry gressers so much I ordered another from wendell rye just to try it. I'm here to tell you if you never try one your doing yourself a dis service. That's just my opinion. I know there will always be one in my vest from now on.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » April 27th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I like mine -cocobolo wood. Not sure why it's so touchy at times. Thanks Scott for the info. I know when its cold, the copper stays in the vest. Late morning and afternoon she sings sweet. Seems hens are partial to it. Purpleheart and laminate strikers work well on mine.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion