Help me fix my diaphragm yelping

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
hckyplayer8

Help me fix my diaphragm yelping

Postby hckyplayer8 » April 20th, 2013, 1:10 pm

Call- Primos Mini Sonic Dome

I have a narrow mouth so I am forced to use smaller calls.

My complaint is I believe the yelp sounds too shrill. Clucking I don't think sounds half bad.

Thanks for your time.

retranger

Re: Help me fix my diaphragm yelping

Postby retranger » April 20th, 2013, 7:06 pm

I had trouble with diaphragm calls and after two years I resorted to the fact I just couldn't make them work and have relied on my box (grand ole master) and friction (freak) call and they have worked well for me. Don't want to start an argument with any one but I don't think diaphragms are for everyone, although would be nice.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 20th, 2013, 8:24 pm

retranger wrote:Don't want to start an argument with any one but I don't think diaphragms are for everyone, although would be nice.

I agree with you 100%. I cant run a diaphragm call to save my life. Thats why I stick to my pots and pegs.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 20th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I did not like the sonic dome at all. I couldn't get used to the dome. Try a HS youth call they seem pretty forgiving.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » April 21st, 2013, 8:32 am

Steve_In wrote:I did not like the sonic dome at all. I couldn't get used to the dome. Try a HS youth call they seem pretty forgiving.

Good advice, and/or try trimming some of the tape off, but not too much, and practice, practice, practice.....
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

air leak

Postby air leak » April 22nd, 2013, 7:12 am

I can yelp just fine with a mouth call, but cuts and purrs...not so much.

I use the box and slate for more realistic cuts and purrs, keep it simple, and don't over call.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » April 22nd, 2013, 7:02 pm

keep practicing and find what works for you. It may not be like all the video's or tapes show. I'm pretty good with a two reed call and use my tongue to get the sound. think of it as musical instrument.
Twitter: @edvogler

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 26th, 2013, 9:20 am

Good advice from all .
Make certain you HUFF the air up with you own diaphragm ,,,,,do not blow air over the call .

I'm like Steve , I don't care at all for the sonic dome or those calls with the 3/4 cloverleaf shape . Trim if necessary the outside diameter of the tape by one sixteenth at a time . Make sure the short reed of the call is down when running it .

Personnally , I have enough calls to fill a five gallon bucket , and they all have called birds ,,,but when it comes to ease and comfort I prefer a mouthcall for motionfree calling .

Best of hunts to ya

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » April 28th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I also have some Pittman youth calls and can't get much of anything out of them.

Like a fool I stopped wearing my expander when I was 14 and the roof of my mouth has really narrowed up again. The dome just fits in perfectly where other calls don't.

I've called in birds with the mini Sonic Dome so I can't be that terrible. Maybe I am just being overly critical.

Any chance buying the BAT cut version of the mini Sonic Dome would produce a raspier noise?

Return to Calling