The countdown

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

Re: The countdown

Postby dewey » April 18th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Well after talking with my hunting buddies in Rapid City I decided to postpone my Black Hills trip for the second time this year. Still is a ton of snow at altitude and everything is an absolute mess out there right now. Now I'll be heading out May 9-12, which is the time frame i usually go out there. As mild as last year and earlier this winter was out there I thought I'd give an April hunt a try. This has been a good reminder of why I have found May to be a much better option in the past. Luckily my 3rd season WI hunt starts next Wednesday, so my countdown goes back up to 5 instead of having to wait 3 more weeks for the hills ;)

Good luck on WI Gopher! I will be looking for a report when you get back, hopefully faster than me.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 18th, 2013, 10:22 pm

Are you goin in unit 1 again Gopher? Scoot's been finding birds to work the last two day there even with this bad weather, just hasn't pulled the trigger yet. Not sure if the birds are still at my honey hole yet? They turned the hayfield over last spring and planted summer grasses there instead, which took out the food source for the game. They may be staying on the private land more now? That's the only food around there. Have to wait and find out come Weds.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 18th, 2013, 10:32 pm

I'll be hunting Unit 4, my "home" unit. Most of my hunting spots are a 30-45 minute drive from my house. Not sure If I will get down to unit 1 at all this year. My dad is going to come up and hunt 4 with me during F season. He had an A season tag for unit 1, and was able to work some birds on his own the two mornings he was able to hunt. No shots, but he had a great time, had one hang up at about 50 yards on his second morning. He was using that box call we got him at NWTF in the dells :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 18th, 2013, 11:02 pm

At least the weather for next week is looking better, I know these birds are itching to go, the Toms are following the hens around, but the hens aren't interested yet. If we can get a few sunny days things will heat up in a hurry.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

notsure

Postby notsure » April 18th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Hi Gopherlongbeards

I'm hunting on farm located several miles south of Rochester. This particular farm used have the only cultivated land surrounded by 500+ acres of CRP. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE could score on a Spring gobbler if you put your time in. However, corn prices sky-rocketed over the last 5 years or so, and since around 2009, all of that CRP has been converted to corn/soy fields. The hunting is tougher now (more realistic, actually), since the birds have multiple areas in which they can feed and display. That said, I bagged the gobbler of a lifetime last season (just shy of 26 Lb, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 spurs, 10" beard), and in the middle of storm to boot!

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 19th, 2013, 10:03 am

It is looking better as of now Scott, but the weather 5 days out has always been predicted to be "better" for the past month :D. We'll see on Wednesday. I agree it is going to happen quick as soon as we get a nice day or two, might end up just perfect.

That's a heck of a bird notsure, congrats!

dewey

Postby dewey » April 19th, 2013, 12:51 pm

notsure wrote:Hi Gopherlongbeards

I'm hunting on farm located several miles south of Rochester. This particular farm used have the only cultivated land surrounded by 500+ acres of CRP. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE could score on a Spring gobbler if you put your time in. However, corn prices sky-rocketed over the last 5 years or so, and since around 2009, all of that CRP has been converted to corn/soy fields. The hunting is tougher now (more realistic, actually), since the birds have multiple areas in which they can feed and display. That said, I bagged the gobbler of a lifetime last season (just shy of 26 Lb, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 spurs, 10" beard), and in the middle of storm to boot!

Welcome to the T&TH forum notsure! Congratulations on that gobbler as that is a BIG one.

Two more weeks until my Minnesota season starts.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

plentycoupe

Postby plentycoupe » April 20th, 2013, 7:25 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 201 times
Opener was the 13th up here in ND. first time in ten years that I've hunted turkeys and WOW!! I forgot how much fun it was!!
Managed to call in this time for myself and a nice jake for my partner.
I was so hooked again that I went online and bought a BH tags. Headed that way the first weekend of may. Will be my first trip and most likely huntin alone. Any Dvice would be appreciated.

Good luck all and happy hunting!!!

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » April 21st, 2013, 12:58 pm

Well, our season opens up tomorrow morning. I wont be able to get out till Thursday. Good luck to all those who will be out in the morning.
Twitter: @edvogler

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 22nd, 2013, 4:34 pm

My buddy,Steve who used to post here as Sit Still...,( but ran into logging in problems & bailed) killed a jake in New Mexico over the weekend. The gobblers were giving him the old silent treatment, but curiosity got the better of a group of 3 jakes and he took one out of the gang. I'm happy for him & hope he gets to use that second tag soon on a longbeard.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion