Crows answering call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
gooseberry

Crows answering call

Postby gooseberry » April 19th, 2013, 4:39 pm

First, I called before the season but it wasn't on hunting land but in a little section of woods nearly in town.

I used my mouth call and I got crows to answer. Is that making any kind of progress with my calling? This is a serious question.

Thanks

gooseberry

Re: Crows answering call

Postby gooseberry » April 19th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Is it possible that a crow will answer a turkey call?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 19th, 2013, 9:19 pm

I have had crows respond to me turkey calls as well, so yes it is possible. Crows are pretty curious birds in general.

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » April 20th, 2013, 6:46 am

Do you think that means I've improved my calling? I'm just learning with the mouth call. I'm wondering, that since I sound good to the crows, if I may be able to talk to a turkey with a mouth call this year. I've bewen practicing on and off for two years, but I haven't taken one into the woods yet.
Bruce

PS. Judging from the lack of replies I guess these questions are judged dumb. If so, I apologize.

retranger

Postby retranger » April 20th, 2013, 7:28 am

gooseberry I don't know of any dumb questions!!! There aren't the folks on here that there used to be. Take your call to the field and see what happens. Good luck
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 20th, 2013, 8:44 pm

I agree, the turkeys will tell you what they like and don't like. Also, look at it this way even turkeys make some of the awfulliest noises you could here. Go out there and see if you can bag one with it.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 20th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Gooseberry do you have a box call or a pot call to compare your calling to? If so how close does your diaphragm sound to them? Is there anyone you can get with to give you some coaching? I doubt you are sounding anything like a crow but you may be near where they nest and they don't like another bird in their territory.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » April 21st, 2013, 7:38 am

Steve_In wrote:Gooseberry do you have a box call or a pot call to compare your calling to? If so how close does your diaphragm sound to them? Is there anyone you can get with to give you some coaching? I doubt you are sounding anything like a crow but you may be near where they nest and they don't like another bird in their territory.

Will crows answer a turkey call?

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » April 27th, 2013, 4:30 pm

gooseberry wrote:
Steve_In wrote:Gooseberry do you have a box call or a pot call to compare your calling to? If so how close does your diaphragm sound to them? Is there anyone you can get with to give you some coaching? I doubt you are sounding anything like a crow but you may be near where they nest and they don't like another bird in their territory.

Will crows answer a turkey call?

They've answered mine. As been said, they're curious and like to follow and harass turkey. When I set out decoys, crows like to inspect them.

Return to Calling