Sure is wet!!!

ticklishtompro

Sure is wet!!!

Postby ticklishtompro » April 17th, 2013, 11:19 pm

It has definetely been a wet spring so far, if you can call it spring. We have been in flood warnings more the last week than we haven't been and now they are predicting another 2-4 inches of rain through Friday. I was talking with a fellow hunter and he brought up something interesting, so I thought I would put it out there and see what you all think. He said, well at least we got all this rain early so the nesting should be good. I asked what he meant by that. He said since there is so much water everywhere and all the low areas are flooded and will probably stay that way for a while, the birds should nest in higher and drier areas and if we have heavy rains later, the nests won't get flooded out. It does make sense, guess I really didn't think about that. So let's hear what you all think.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Sure is wet!!!

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 18th, 2013, 12:22 am

It sure has been wet. Makes sense to me, also any nests destroyed by these earlier rains should give the hens plenty of time to re-nest. This keep's up much longer and we'll all be hunting out of a john boat like charlie ;)

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 18th, 2013, 9:36 am

are the hens even nesting yet? I would think they are holding off for better weather. what you say makes sense about nesting higher. but we have had very good hatches in my area the last few springs regardless. I guess I'm really asking are the hens nesting yet??? They sure seem to be hanging with the gobblers all day long from what i'm observing.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 18th, 2013, 9:43 am

any news from week 2 yet??? my bud got one around 2pm yesterday, came in with hens, He said it was pretty small weightwise but had long spurs.I had 2 very close encounters but couldn't finish the deal,(used my bow) then it started to hail so i moved by the open fields only to see them feeding around 150 yds away and ignoring me. working for 2 days then will try again this week end with my gun.
Last edited by gutpiler on April 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 18th, 2013, 12:24 pm

The wet is bad enough, the constant cold is compounding the pain on birds. We are suppose to have 3-4" more snow so count yourselves lucky if you only get rain.
I start hunting season C unit 1, it's a river hunt and I hope there is some areas above water to hunt. If not I also have a unit 3 tag which contains lots of big forest areas.
Last night I posted a first week hunt report on my charlie elk personal blog.

Treerooster and I have been talking about the nesting. He brought up an interesting theory about soil temps, I did some extensive searching and reading turkey studies on this concept. Found there is no research on it, at least none I could find. I'm working a post about the details of the hypothesis.
From the research I read photo period controls when and turkeys peak nesting all over the country takes place the last week of April.
Over the years I have found turkey nests as early as Mid March and as late as mid August. Judging by the varying sizes of poults in the fall many of the early and late nests must succeed.

ticklishtompro wrote: He said, well at least we got all this rain early so the nesting should be good. I asked what he meant by that. He said since there is so much water everywhere and all the low areas are flooded and will probably stay that way for a while, the birds should nest in higher and drier areas and if we have heavy rains later, the nests won't get flooded out. It does make sense, guess I really didn't think about that. So let's hear what you all think.

This is one way to look at it. However, if this were to be the case the nests would be more concentrated and subject to higher than normal predation. When the flooding subsides the turkeys will "rush" in to eat all the high protein insects and invertebrates in those flood zones. I have no doubt there will be some re-nesting taking place into these areas.

Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 18th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Earlier I gave GPS locations to a couple of friends and both of them killed jakes this afternoon. They were extremely happy about that. Each of them have 7 more tags spread over the remaining seasons.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 19th, 2013, 9:35 am

Took a ride out to the island area yesterday to see what it looked like? The island is completely under water from the rivers flooding over. You'd need hip boots to get down the road that runs to it. Not sure how that will effect the birds that used that island? I'm sure they would move off it to higher ground until it drys out so land is showing again, but who knows how long that will take with all the rain we've been getting? At least I've got until the last season before I'll try to hunt it, so maybe the birds might move back on to it by then? There was a good bird population there last fall, but it was a dry summer last year, so I guess it's a wait and see area.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 28th, 2013, 8:39 pm

One thing good about this late spring, is that the hay fields aren't growing very fast. The farmers won't be in them cutting hay and messin up the birds nesting in them? It should be another great year for hatching with a lot of the fields being so wet, that the farmers can't get into them yet, at least around here. Last year they were making hay by early May?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin