Bearded Hen

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ilhunter

Re: Bearded Hen

Postby ilhunter » April 19th, 2013, 6:54 am

The only reason I would shoot her is because she would make a sweet mount. other than that I would let her walk, thanks for all the info guys

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 19th, 2013, 6:55 am

If it was the last day of the season with no turks in the freezer, she would have to go down. Love that fried turkey!!!! :D That one in the pic's got a pretty nice beard for a hen. hmmm!? :mrgreen: I'm also assuming there was no Tom with her.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 20th, 2013, 8:21 am

This question was asked on another forum and the best answer I have ever seen was posted by a guy that goes by Neill Prater.

Here is his response;

This discussion seems to pop up at least once a year on every turkey hunting forum. The whole idea of spring hunting is to bag a gobbler, not a hen, bearded or otherwise. Those regulations are written not to promote the killing of hens, but rather to give some leeway to anyone who makes an honest mistake. I'm sure the mindset of those writing the laws is that occasionally, someone is going to shoot a bird with a beard, honestly believing it to be a gobbler, then find it is in fact a hen. If the law says "gobblers only", as some states do, then the hunter is faced with a dilema. Should he tag the bird? Should he turn himself in? Should he simply leave it laying and hope no one saw him? Should he just try and sneak the bird home?

In my opinion, shooting a bearded hen intentionally in the spring is the same as shooting any hen in the spring. Biologically, they are identical.

Neill
Last edited by Treerooster on April 20th, 2013, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 20th, 2013, 9:13 am

Didn't contemplate the "philosophy" behind the bearded hen statute. Makes sense. Maybe I need to "re-think" this one.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion